Poll: Open worlds: Bethesda or Rockstar?

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Xaio30 said:
Bethesda rules the RPG Sandbox.
Rockstar rules the mayhem Sandbox.

You cannot really compare the two.
This for starters. The question being asked here is if you like open world RPGs or sandbox games better. Bethesda isn't a sandbox, it's an open world RPG meaning it is meant to have more to discover than a sandbox game by design principle. It's like asking who has better combat between R* and Bethesda. Or who has better dialogue. (I find ironic and sad that R* wins out for dialogue, with a sandbox no less, against an RPG though.) But the nature of there worlds directly tie in with their genre and mechanics like combat, fluid controls, story, level design, UI, etc.

If I had to choose one, I would choose R* as at least they don't sacrifice all other aspects (including bug quality) of their games for the openness of the world. Their worlds are pretty bug free and they offer more than just that 1 quality mechanic.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Red Dead's world was far and away the most amazing open world ever created, but I'm going to hold out on answering, because I have high hopes for Skyrim.

I'll necro this thread in a couple of months and let you know. :p

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
I voted Bethesda

I enjoy them both

R* has the speed

Bethesda has the enviorment

They are also both pretty good at story....GTA tends to have a "Piss Me Off" on some missions
Also GTA has respawnable people to shoot

SleetusPheetus

Jun 22, 2011
Games I own
Bethesda: Daggerfall, Morrowwind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout NV.

Rockstar: GTA: San Andreas, GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption.

Let me tell you of one of my many experiences with Bethesda. I was meandering about a small village in Oblivion, when for no reason at all, a woman of the older variety walked up to my character, drew a small dagger, and began to stab at me. Not sure what to make of this, and fearing a run in with the law if I fought back, I walked out into the town square and up to a guard, showing him the old lady stabbing at my armor. He immediately killed the old lady, nodded at me, and walked back to his post. After searching the woman, I discovered she was a surviving member of a cult I had wiped out a few weeks prior. That's immersion.

That being said, I verily enjoy the thrill of finding a sporty looking car, and putting it through it's paces. On a sidewalk. Full of hapless pedestrians. And a few hot dog stands.

Also I have never experienced a glitch in a Bethesda game. Red Dead had a few, but those were dealt with in a expedient manner.

Also, I don't know how many of you guys are retro, but Daggerfall had a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY larger area than Just Cause 2.

ANYWAY, I choose Bethesda.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I seriously can't decide.
I love open world games, and Bethesda and Rockstar are probably my two favourite game developers.
So, I'd say they're even in my eyes.

(Captcha: "his tingsi;" sounds a little raunchy)

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Bethesda by Far i rekon

i found them to be more entertaining then Rockstar's games

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
For me it was always be Bethseda. Oblivion is a really good example of how they do open world as you could go anywhere and go into any building you wanted.