Poll: Orbital Wibble Wobble

AperioContra

Aug 4, 2011
Over the last year there has been some speculation over a orbital discrepancy in our solar system's oort cloud. There has been a lot of discussion on exactly what this is, and what this means. To the point that part of the new telescope WISE has been sent to investigate. There has been a lot of speculation as to why this has occurred, scientists range from nothing, to Nemesis (a hypothetical brown dwarf) or Tyche (a hypothetical gas giant). All the meanwhile conspiracy websites are believing it is signs Nibiru, the planet predicted by (I'm not kidding) a woman who claims she is in contact with aliens through the probes in her head (I guess the leading NASA scientists or heads of state were too busy).

So I was wondering, before the results come in, what are some speculations? Any educated or (uneducated in case you think it's Nibiru) to what this means, if anything at all?

Personally? I think it's Galactus.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
A sleeping Cthulhu. Obviously. In hindsight, sending a probe to wake him will seem like a bad idea.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Probably a moon or a planet which lost orbit due to some reason or another. Though I'm hoping it's something cooler than that.

warprincenataku

Jan 28, 2010
Are you high? I barely understood anything you wrote. lol

I'm off to WIKIPEDIA to see if I can translate what you wrote. I'll be back!

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Weirdly I've just finished watching a Spoony review where he makes a big deal about some moron mentioning Orbital Wobble. Odd...

Anyway, I think it's Galactus.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
Lukeje said:
A sleeping Cthulhu. Obviously. In hindsight, sending a probe to wake him will seem like a bad idea.
Let's just hope that it IS Cthulhu and not Azathoth. Waking him would be a lot worse, I imagine.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
There is no orbital wobble because there is no third dimension. The universe is a folded pancake of sub-atomic particles, and any misconceptions about depth or movement in any direction other than horizontal is merely a distraction by the Illuminati to make you...

Bwuh?

AperioContra

Aug 4, 2011
warprincenataku said:
Are you high? I barely understood anything you wrote. lol

I'm off to WIKIPEDIA to see if I can translate what you wrote. I'll be back!
Sadly, no, just sleep deprived.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
It's probably just some quirk of general relativity that we've yet to understand, like Mercury used to be.

Aetera said:
Lukeje said:
Let's just hope that it IS Cthulhu and not Azathoth. Waking him would be a lot worse, I imagine.
Actually sod relativity I'm changing this to be my answer. Incidentally Cthulhu kicked Azathoth's arse. I saw it at the end of Cthulhu Saves the World. If it happened in an RPG, that means it happened in real life. That's a thing, right?

AperioContra

Aug 4, 2011
Lukeje said:
No no no, Cthullu was already discovered in the ocean after the big BLOOP.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
Zantos said:
It's probably just some quirk of general relativity that we've yet to understand, like Mercury used to be.

Aetera said:
Lukeje said:
Actually sod relativity I'm changing this to be my answer. Incidentally Cthulhu kicked Azathoth's arse. I saw it at the end of Cthulhu Saves the World. If it happened in an RPG, that means it happened in real life. That's a thing, right?
Psht, don't you know that that game is merely Cthulhu-cultist propaganda? I must admit, though, they have excellent PR people.

If, uh, Azathoth ever awakens, "there will be worlds nor gods no more." He is the blind, idiot creator god that dreams all of existence. The ancient legends of Ultimate Chaos, at whose center sprawls the blind idiot god Azathoth, Lord of All Things, encircled by his flopping horde of mindless and amorphous dancers, and lulled by the thin monotonous piping of a demonic flute held in nameless paws.

I think that his waking is a bit more of a threat. D:

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Lukeje said:
That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.

kickassfrog

Jan 17, 2011
It's the daleks- the biggest threat in time and space that are frequently defeated by one unarmed man in a magic box.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
It's just Yog-Sothoth doing what Yog-Sothoth does, he is, after all, the only being more powerful than Azathoth and his his wakening will deal more damage than a simple end to all things.

TitanDrone

Jul 13, 2011
There are no documented orbital discrepancies in the ort cloud. What you are seeing is the result of old charts being revised by new, and more precise observations. This gives rise to some bodies not matching their previously described motions.

What science is discovering is instead much more fascinating than a mythical planet or ill-fated stellar remnant.
Math-facts. About 99,9 % of the mass in our solar system is accounted for. Any stellar remnant or large, unseen planetary body would give rise to extreme discrepancies in the orbits of observable planets and objects.

What IS observed are relatively small variations that can be attributed to the unknown 0,1 % of our solar system mass as of yet accounted for by observations. To be fair, that 0,1 % AND a fair part of the known objects have orbital properties that could be harmful. It does not take a planet collision to ruin superbowl sunday, a small rock could do it.
I find it odd that people need to make up ghost planets to drum up a bit of sensationalist speculation when there are real observable objects posing a danger. I guess the nut cases don't like uncertainty in their doomsday scenarios. Maybe that is why they need a bigger, and more sinister image of doom. A planet or a gas giant or even the ghostly remains of our own suns undead, somewhat gaseous twin.

The above original post is based on the axiom that "movements in the ort cloud tell of a very massive object that is unobserved and influencing the orbits of objects." When examined, this claim turns out to be false. The motions exhibited may be erratic and may defy current understanding, but they do not allow for the presence of a large planet, gas giant or stellar remnant. The motions are tiny compared to what the planets are doing to the motions of objects. What is going on is a much more dynamic and dramatic interaction between objects than thought possible - but that wont sell any tickets.

Sep 14, 2009
it means basically nothing, if we haven't found anything by now in our own given universe, i'd say its a 1% chance that we haven't seen a large mass like suggested by now. actually, scrap that it'd be a 0.9%, it's not worth worrying about.

We've survived this long thanks to science, so i doubt some galactus of sorts will be coming to devour us.