Poll: Over Critical, or, Your Own Worst Critic?

SixWingedAsura

Sep 27, 2010
I write for a hobby and for years (it's been a life long dream) I've wanted to become a published author.

One issue.

Despite the constant positive reviews from my friends and others alike, I still can't ever seem to appreciate my own work! I keep asking people, almost with this perverse desire to hear someone say, "Your work is crap!" simply because I view it as such.

Does anyone else have this problem, i.e. being too critical of yourself or never thinking anything you do is good enough? And if so, (and if you've gotten over it) how DO you get over it?

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Only when I'm drawing, everything has to be perfect!!! I hate drawing for this reason...

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
I think most people are over-critical towards themselves, or their work. Hell, I think a lot of people are over-critical towards others.

If not that, they don't care... at all, about anything. It doesn't seem like there's enough 50/50 these days.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Do your friends always say it's really good, or say it's good while pointing out the flaws? I greatly distrust the former.

And my 'thing' would be programming, which I don't believe anyone has ever been 100% satisfied with what they produce. So I'll err on the side of "Justified self-criticism".

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Ive written a couple s.t.a.l.k.e.r.-related stories [http://mattwensley.deviantart.com/] [because i die inside when people call my work fan fiction. with that term i always imagine weird loners writing about their favourite characters having homoerotic relations] but i havent got around to finishing the plot. i know where i want it to go, but i dont knowexactly how to get it there, and i dont want to continue until i know exactly what i want it to do.
i think its alright, but can anyone else judge?

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
Every time i attempt writing something i always end up scraping the work after i re-read it, im never happy about my work, i always think about something i missed out, then when i keep adding details, one paragraph becomes 3 pages all describing the look of the car/spacecraft/armour/weapon/planet...

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
This takes me back to my art classes. I was never very good at art but even if I did something worth merit I always shot it down as it never looked like how I wanted it in my head.

SixWingedAsura

Sep 27, 2010
My issue is that I write something, then look back on it much later and, despite not knowing exactly how, keep thinking that I can do far better. My friends have threatened to kill me if I scrap my latest project, but still, I find it hard to write when every time I look back on it, it's utter crap! :(

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
While I'm only mildly critical of most things, (but I should better at Starcraft by now!) I'm extremely critical of my own writing, especially if it's fiction. I fret about the story being lame, the narrative not flowing, and if it's humor, the jokes being incredibly lame. I do this even when other people tell me they like my stuff. When I mostly wrote news columns and movie reviews I didn't care so much because I had to churn them out with enough regularity that I didn't have time for self-critique. If it's a project I really care about though ... oh man!

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Usually I'm really critical of myself when it comes to my own social life and when I do well in my classes. I really will not take a compliment. Though I'm not critical of my singing because I know it sucks and have been told on multiple occasion it sucks. My friend and I sing poorly but it never matters because we're have fun with it.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I usually like a photograph when I take it, (only if it is good, I don't always take good photographs) then later I'll... well not hate it, but not care much about it. This is why I prefer editors who pick their favorite image rather than those who ask my opinion.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
I'm over critical of my self in every possible way. Probably because I really do suck at everything and I recognize that I"m a lazy piece who won't fix anything either.

I'm too fat too short too quiet too lazy not cool not smart i'm a talker and not a doer I am jealous my voice is irritating to listen to i'm weak i'm slow i couldn't draw you a stick person and I'm always satisfied with going halfway.

When I do get out of this kind of rut in thinking, my writing isn't half bad to most people.

Aux

Jul 2, 2009
Depends on my mood to be honest, I write as well here and there and some days I feel I am writing utter crap, while others I feel it's the best I have ever written.

If you are getting positive feedback from all the people you are asking more than likely you are on the right track. If you still doubt ask someone who you know is over critical to read your work.

SixWingedAsura

Sep 27, 2010
I am over demanding with myself, when its come to drawing or coming up with stories, it's the only way to progress for me.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
The things I do good, I like. The things I don't, well...
I always manage to surprise myself with the spectrum of words I use (or invent), though, even though the work in general may be crap.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Sacman said:
Only when I'm drawing, everything has to be perfect!!! I hate drawing for this reason...
Same here oddly enough.

I can go back and read my writings all the time but when it comes to my artwork, I'll find something that isn't right and I'll feel like I must change it.

cynikles

Jul 10, 2010
I'm a writer too and I am generally pleased with what I churn out every so often. However, I feel the need to heavily edit everything to please myself. I'm quite thingy about my literature. I tend to be pretty critical of others work as well, I don't give my praise lightly, particularly when it comes to the creative arts.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
As I'm writing, I get a feel for how I think it'll turn out. Usually, it's okay. Some times though, I feel like it's going to be really bad.

And then FargoDog will tell me it's my 'best review yet'...

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
The main problem with any paper is that you have to write something that you think the teacher will think is good, not what you think is good.

Like the last paper I wrote was a personal narrative about my first concert experience. The professor criticized me for "focusing a little too much on the people involved and not enough on the music." This made no sense to me because how else am I supposed to describe a 10-minute wait for the best band to perform?