Poll: Overcritical: Female Leads

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
THIS MAN IS RIGHT, INFACT MALE LEADS ARE ALSO OVERUSED.

ONLY DOLPHINS AS MAIN CHARACTERS FROM NOW ON!

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Cheesus333 said:
NickCaligo42 said:
I really couldn't see a man playing that part or being as sensitive to the changes in Faith's world as she was--nor for that matter could I see a woman in Marcus Fenix's shoes.
On the contrary: Jacknife and Faith are very similar - I can see myself playing the game in his shoes. Similarly, Sentinel Lyons or Reilly (Fallout 3) are fairly similar to Marcus.
Hmm. Personally haven't played Fallout 3 just yet, and I honestly haven't seen much of Mirror's Edge past the content in the demo. This I'll look into when I'm no longer poor.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
ElTigreNegro said:
But the real problem with that game is, beyond other things, that it's boring as hell to play. The main quest is insipid enough, and the side-quests are even worst. They even took away blitzball for some half-baked idea of "tactical" blitzball that it's even worst from what it sounds.
actually i found the combat in that game crazy fun. JOB SYSTEM FOREVAR!

and you get literally nothing from blitzball so it's even easier to ignore.

SirSchmoopy said:
ONLY DOLPHINS AS MAIN CHARACTERS FROM NOW ON!
DONE.

ALSO DOLPHINS HAVE GENDERS TOO.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Every Character in Games is very photogenic no matter what after all...Why would anyone play a game where Gordon Freeman and all the other Half Life 2 characters(Presuming that they really NEVER shower) were ugly as sin?

Ibaapzo

Dec 25, 2008
I don't like female hard-rock singers. That doesn't mean I don't like the music involved.

female leads aren't the cause of a decline first-hand. I doubt that staring a male lead would have made Mirror's Edge or Tomb Raider any better. Perhaps we haven't caught the right angle of the female protagonist. It seems that female antagonists are uncanny, but the moment we toss a female in the spotlight, the game sucks.

I think it's the angle (whether it be personality or role), not the boobs.

Ashkente

Jan 21, 2009
Vanguard1219 said:
After all, Faith from Mirror's Edge is almost the opposite of Lara Croft, if not a more practical version of what Lara should be. Faith isn't built like a supermodel and she isn't scantily clad in tight-fitting clothing. As far as the superficial argument goes, that's really the end of it, but it goes even deeper. This Faith isn't a treasure hunter, a highly trained agent or some warrior with a sword and a leather outfit, she's a regular person who had a rough life. Besides the fact that she's a parkour runner there isn't anything spectacular about her. No superpowers, no D-cups, nothing. If anything I'd say she's an ideal female lead in a game because she's actually realistic.
I'm forced to concur, Faith (at least before you complete the game and realise you just wasted $60 on yet another game manufactured under the Heavenly Sword business model [too high priced for too short a game, that upon release is revealed to be a 'planned trilogy']), is about perfect as a female lead.
Who cares if she's vaguely Asian?
Who cares if she has too small/large a chest?

I'm more pissed at the idea that a game about Parkour was so damn short.
Yahtzee hit the nail on the head stating that all you need to do is play the demo 3-4times, and make some cutscenes out of cardboard cutouts.

Seriously, we could have much WORSE female leads.. like Alice from the Resident Evil sequels (she was ok in the first movie), or Estelle Getty, or Paris Hilton.

Vuzzmop

Nov 25, 2008
Lets face it; sex sells. If you want to appeal to female gamers, make slightly deeper females, but unfortunately, game developers don't. That said, I don't think that appearance will change anything. I mean really; would you buy a game for the promise of non-skimpily dressed women?

Railu

Aug 7, 2008
The "I'm sexy, smart, can kick your ass and have no interest in men" stereotype of female leads is a little overplayed. I'm not sure at what point exactly it meant that the only way for a woman to be strong is to be a b**** happened, but it certainly hasn't helped in making characters you can relate to.

I can't say it's a problem only with female leads either. The endless 'roid monkey space marine characters are very tiresome too. James Sunderland from Silent Hill 2 is one of my most liked main characters because his depth of character encompasses the entire human psyche.

SadisticSquirl

Nov 10, 2008
Personally I find that when women are incorporated, into a game they are 1 of 4 things, the main heroine because game designers want to give people the choice or Y chromosome or not, a perky or disregarding NPC, someone you must save OR ELSE, or someone in your life that has to die like most good Disney movies. Games always claim they have a gritty realism... So where are the terrified women who are fighting you because all they know is that you are the bad guy? Where are the children who have been raised to hate the characters faction and will fight to the death to kill you? I'm not encouraging the murder of children but it is something that individuals in the REAL military have to face. Like in "Black Hawk Down" or "Tears of the Sun" where one of the main characters has to decide whether or not they must lower they're morals to protect themselves and their team mates. To be honest I was thrilled to see in Fallout 3 that I didn't just have to kill cut and paste male raiders but they throw in some smart mouth ladies sprinting at me with hand-held chain saws. (Although the Super mutants were all guys...) It's my belief that games need to stop with the constant chivaly and put some ladies in the cross-hairs. Women wanted to be allowed to join the military, so why aren't we allowed to take couple of shots at their heart shaped asses?

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
SadisticSquirl said:
Personally I find that when women are incorporated, into a game they are 1 of 4 things, the main heroine because game designers want to give people the choice or Y chromosome or not, a perky or disregarding NPC, someone you must save OR ELSE, or someone in your life that has to die like most good Disney movies. Games always claim they have a gritty realism... So where are the terrified women who are fighting you because all they know is that you are the bad guy? Where are the children who have been raised to hate the characters faction and will fight to the death to kill you? I'm not encouraging the murder of children but it is something that individuals in the REAL military have to face. Like in "Black Hawk Down" or "Tears of the Sun" where one of the main characters has to decide whether or not they must lower they're morals to protect themselves and their team mates. To be honest I was thrilled to see in Fallout 3 that I didn't just have to kill cut and paste male raiders but they throw in some smart mouth ladies sprinting at me with hand-held chain saws. (Although the Super mutants were all guys...) It's my belief that games need to stop with the constant chivaly and put some ladies in the cross-hairs. Women wanted to be allowed to join the military, so why aren't we allowed to take couple of shots at their heart shaped asses?

Super Mutants are actually asexual as part of their mutation. If you read the files on the computer in the game, it reveals Fawkes used to be a woman.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
This is surprising? IGN is run by idiots who are bending over backwards to please the macho fratboy demographic. Strong female characters make their target audience feel threatened. This is also why half their articles (including this one) are just rickety vehicles for bash-a-thons against those horrible industry-destroying (yeah right) [http://malstrom.50webs.com/birdman.html] "casual games" and Nintendo in particular (again, yeah right [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByPcQBveWOA]).

Darth Marsden said:
Rather then insult whoever made the list which originated this thread in the first place, I'm gonna look at this list [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_and_video_games_with_female_protagonists] and just pick out the games which I feel exploited women.

Charlie's Angels (I'm just guessing - I've seen the films, never played the game)
Dead or Alive
Final Fantasy X-2 (J-Pop and scantily-clad team-mates FTW!)
Fear Effect 2: Double Helix
Golden Axe (Questionable - that was the style of the times. Or so I'm lead to believe, anyway)
Heavy Metal: FAKK 2
Sonic series (Also questionable, but then again what the hell is Rouge the Bat's bra size?)
Soul Calibur series (Particularly Ivy)
Tomb Raider (Again, questionable. Depends who you ask, really.)
Vinyl Goddess from Mars (!)
Interesting bit of trivia: Rouge the Bat is the only female character I can think of whose breasts actually SHRANK in between games. o_O

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Sylocat said:
This is surprising? IGN is run by idiots who are bending over backwards to please the macho fratboy demographic.
No argument here. I stopped depending on IGN for my reviews a long time ago.

Actually it was Yahtzee's recent review of Tomb Raider: Underworld that provoked my posting this thread. I think Tomb Raider is a load of garbage, myself, but I thought it was a bit of a stretch to think that developers are selling games on the promise of breasts alone. I can think of so many better places than games--let alone Tomb Raider as I never found Lara Croft that attractive or even interesting--to look for that sort of thing that I found it downright absurd and needed to take a poll to see how many people agreed with this logic.

That said I'd really love to meet the three people who voted that women don't belong in games. They must be either very interesting or else have a fantastic sense of humor.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Generally speaking the answer is yes, they are misused. Most frequently, female characters are depicted as helpless and they exist for no other reason than to provide a love interest to the player. Most of the time said love interest seems to have just been tacked on and does little to advance the story, provide character motivation or help with any other aspect of fleshing out the characters. Alternately, they are depicted as scantily clad and often exhibit disturbing anatomical trends (Laura Croft must have TERRIBLE back pain, and don't get me started on Ivy from Soul Caliber).

Characters in video games are often shallow cookie cutter knock offs of pre-existing archetypes. From time to time you get a character that seems genuine but rarely is that character a female. The only notable female characters I can recall of late are Alex in HL2 and the later episodes and Ashley Williams from Mass Effect. Both characters have somewhat compelling back stories that provide reasonable motivation for their actions throughout the games. Neither is endowed with unrealistic body proportions (Ashley Williams, however, is pushing the line a bit). While Ashley Williams can be a tacked on love interest, it is not artificially inserted into the game - instead it must be pursued. Alex on the other hand is never pushed directly into the role of love interest for Gordon, but she remains one of the few video game characters I has managed to make me care about her well-being.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Vinculi said:
I wouldn't have blamed any of this on Samus though, it seems like Nintendo takes extra effort to prevent her sexualisation
As much of a Nintendo and Metroid as I am, I only believed that until I saw the unlockable image gallery in Metroid: Zero Mission. :(

ElTigreNegro said:
Saying that FFX-2 was trying to be a spoof of the genre would be giving the game too much credit, for an actual light hearted spoof of RPGs, and one done right, just play Threads of Fate. It's obvious that FFX-2 is dead serious about it's cheesy plot and it's lame characters. But the real problem with that game is, beyond other things, that it's boring as hell to play. The main quest is insipid enough, and the side-quests are even worst. They even took away blitzball for some half-baked idea of "tactical" blitzball that it's even worst from what it sounds.
To me FFX-2 had an excellent battle system, a funny plot, charming characters and some badass minigames. And, yes, I did enjoy completing all the sidequests.

As for the Blitzball? Play FFX if you want Blitzball, just like you play FFVIII if you want Triple Triad or FFVII for CRAZY MOTORCYCLE! FFX-2 was all about the Sphere Break!

I have to play that game again. I have this urge to repeatedly shout "HENSHIN!" at the TV!

Also: "I don't like your plan. It sucks."
Tell me that ISN'T intentionally funny!

anNIALLator

Jul 24, 2008
There's a lot of sexist cardboard cut out charcters, but there's plenty of female characters in the same vein as Alyx Vance.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Sylocat said:
Interesting bit of trivia: Rouge the Bat is the only female character I can think of whose breasts actually SHRANK in between games. o_O
Actually, Lara Croft's breasts are a bit smaller than in previous games. Still oversized and unhealthy, but smaller.

Futhermore I think they changed Rouge's breasts because she was not PG enough.

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
Some of the given examples of oversexualized female leads are just plain BAD. For example, Faith from Mirror's Edge? Seriously?

I can't think of a worse example than that. She doesn't wear peculiarly revealing clothing; what she wears is practical for athletics. You know, she's dressed for the job. Faith doesn't have needlessly sexualized dialogue, nor actions. If they're thinking about the couple points in cutscenes where she hugs her sister, that's not over-sexing a character, that's displaying human emotion. You know, like she's a person or something.