Poll: Pan Labyrinth

Chaos Bringer

Jul 1, 2009
This question has come up in my class and I was wondering what my fellow Escapists thought. Do you think that the movie is in Ofelia's imagination or do you think it's really happening? There are lots of arguments for both sides. State your position.

(You have to have seent his or really know what happens to answer this).

EDIT: Where the hell did my poll go?

EDIT 2: Everyone who wants to post on this go here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.259684-Poll-Pans-Labyrinth

This one has the poll and the title is written correctly as well.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
I thought it was pretty clear that it's her imagination. The movie is meant that way. It's her way of coping with stuff she can't mentally comprehend yet. No real big mystery, to be honest.

M Rotter

Dec 18, 2010
I love that its ambiguous. And i dont think its clear whether or not its her imagination, but that ambiguity is what makes the movie beautiful and poignant. So i dont think it matters which one it is, whether its her imagination or real is not the point.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
That question actually drove me up the wall when I watched the movie.

I'm an optimist so I'd say it was really happening. The other option is just too depressing for me.

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
Duffeknol said:
I thought it was pretty clear that it's her imagination. The movie is meant that way. It's her way of coping with stuff she can't mentally comprehend yet. No real big mystery, to be honest.
This.

It's just an overrated story with an army of cookie-cutter characters that has enough "...or is it?" moments to trick the average moviegoer into thinking it's deep.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Conssidering the director actually came out and said that it wasn't in her imagination then there isn't much to disscuss. Unless people want to disscuss if Deckard was a replicant.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
KalosCast said:
Duffeknol said:
This.

It's just an overrated story with an army of cookie-cutter characters that has enough "...or is it?" moments to trick the average moviegoer into thinking it's deep.
Nah, the brilliant creature design and fantastic acting (especially by the evil step-dad) made it an anything but average movie. I wouldn't ever call it deep, but it certainly was a very good movie in most other ways.