Poll: Paying Through Origin

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
So I have finally decided to pick up BF4 on PC. Unfortunately, Origin. I thought EA would be pleased I'm giving them money but no. I received error 10048 saying I can't complete the transaction. I'm trying to pay with my credit card that I have used to pay for stuff on Steam before and customer support wasn't all that helpful.

This makes me incredibly frustrated for some reason. After a long debate with myself, I finally convince myself to drop a large sum of money on a bloody expensive game and this is how EA serves its customers? Why do I have to fight every step of the way to enjoy a product? This is the kind of service that makes pirating games sound like a good alternative.

Short version: Have you ever been in the same boat as me/Got any advice?

Is this life's way of telling me not to buy this game?

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
TakeshiLive said:
Could be Origin is trying to tell you something? That something could be the ongoing BF4 issues across all platforms. I buy from Origin occasionally, last was Tomb Raider when it went on sale half a year ago. I am a big fan of Battlefield, but this one I skipped, something didn't feel right the way EA/Dice dealt with the community.

Like during the beta test and the community had issues with everything from performance to game killing lag.

EA/Dice answer? Look at the building fall, isn't it amazing?

After the beta test and issues remained unresolved.

EA/Dice answer? Look at the tank fall through the floor... Yes you like?

Before release and issues were still on going.

EA/Dice answer? Yes look again at the building fall, you want this yes? Yes you do.

They reminded me of the worst, most scummy vendors in Moscow, always trying to divert attention away from the flaws.

My advice? Wait on that anyway, maybe even wait for the next one.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
Wait, that is still around?

That's a true shame. Though if you're determined to play the game then I am sure all you have to do is wait; for EA to fix Origin and for DICE to fix Battlefield 4.

That said, if you were so hesitant to begin with, perhaps it's best for you to wait a mite longer, and check out other, less-expensive games you may be interested in.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Seems an error #10048 is a server overload - isn't there some big DDoS going on that's targeting Steam and Origin right now? I haven't been keeping tabs on it beyond the original announcement that it was occurring though.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
BQE said:
I want to play BF4, simple as that, even with the refinement. Personally, I blame the pubstars on youtube for making seem really run to play. EA aren't making this easy though.

Strelok said:
TakeshiLive said:
snip
I don't like how EA do a lot of things but I have to admit, they still publish a lot of games I do enjoy. Even when they're broken or abuse the consumer in someway or another, I still want to play them.

ThriKreen said:
I have absolutely no idea of what's going on with that, I'm relatively new to PC gaming.

Silly Hats

Dec 26, 2012
I like Origin, the twitch stream streaming capabilities is great. If an Offline Mode was available then I'd have no issues.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Once I tried to pay with a pre-paid credit card and it just didn't work.
What it did do though was charge 1 dollar to the card for "verification".

How it charged 1 dollar successfully but couldn't charge me the cost of the game is beyond me.

Verrik

Sep 28, 2012
Never. Never not once have a had a problem. But then again, I've never tried purchasing items through Origin. The only reason I even have Origin right now is because it just popped up one day when I went to play a game. (It was either Dragon Age 2 or Kingdoms of Amalur, can't remember which one.) I went to play the game after a pretty long break, however something different happened this time. This "Origin" thing appeared and pissed me off because it was delaying my game time.

Needless to say, I was not happy about having to use Origin all of a sudden when I didn't need to before.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
ThriKreen said:
Seems an error #10048 is a server overload - isn't there some big DDoS going on that's targeting Steam and Origin right now? I haven't been keeping tabs on it beyond the original announcement that it was occurring though.
tfw DDoS attacks are so common that you don't even know when they're happening anymore

OT: Nope, never had an issue. I have had more issues with Steam, actually.

If ThriKreen is right, it's an attack on Origin's servers and they'll process your payment once the gremlins hitting their walls with rocks go away.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
lacktheknack said:
ThriKreen said:
tfw DDoS attacks are so common that you don't even know when they're happening anymore

OT: Nope, never had an issue. I have had more issues with Steam, actually.

If ThriKreen is right, it's an attack on Origin's servers and they'll process your payment once the gremlins hitting their walls with rocks go away.
Good to know. lol

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
Weaver said:

How it charged 1 dollar successfully but couldn't charge me the cost of the game is beyond me.

That is wow.... I.... don't even....

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
TakeshiLive said:
Weaver said:

My regular credit card works though. They're supposed to charge back the $1 verification, I should really check they did.
If I were a wealthy man I'd love to take them to court over just $1 for the fun of it.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
Weaver said:
TakeshiLive said:
Weaver said:

My regular credit card works though. They're supposed to charge back the $1 verification, I should really check they did.
If I were a wealthy man I'd love to take them to court over just $1 for the fun of it.
That'd be glorious.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, I had a few problems with ordering Battlefield 4 on Origin, but that was sometime in August. It wasn't anything that I didn't solve in less than twenty minutes.

It was annoying, but I didn't want to kick a cat by the end of it.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
Ieyke said:
TakeshiLive said:
Is this life's way of telling me not to buy this game?
Life's way of saying "don't buy EA games or use Origin".
What if EA's employees are deliberately sabotaging Origin to warn consumers off of their bad product/services?!

:O

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Yeah, I had a few problems with ordering Battlefield 4 on Origin, but that was sometime in August. It wasn't anything that I didn't solve in less than twenty minutes.

It was annoying, but I didn't want to kick a cat by the end of it.
There was apparently a lot of trouble for people ordering it back then, no problems since then?

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
I haven't bought a lot of stuff on Origin (can you guess why?), but what I have purchased has worked out fine (with referencing to the actual purchasing via Origin). Sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues.

With respect to Battlefield 4, it had a VERY rocky start, but it seems fairly stable now (some still are complaining, though). Personally, when looking at it without considering its EA/poor launch stigmatization, I consider it to be an amazing game. Call of Duty doesn't even come close! 32 versus 32 with a plethora of vehicles (including air) to choose from is epic. I realize that PlanetSide 2, for example, is the same type of deal (and it's free!), but generally speaking, not much can compare to Battlefield.

Keep trying. I hope that it gets sorted out soon! I don't think that you'll regret your purchase.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Origin is smaller than Steam so it's much more susceptible to DDoS and fluctations of use (if an extra 100,000 people suddenly rush to Origin then that might mean they need 200% more server power than normal which is really unusual for them, whereas Steam only needs 20% more, which is something that might have happened anyway through random chance.)

The only time I had trouble getting Origin to register a payment was with the Humble Origin Bundle giftcodes because their servers were being flooded