Poll: PC Gaming Future?

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
I think you have all missed the truth here, games consoles as we know them are already dead and the p.c won.

Since the PS2 "consoles" have become multimedia devices and will continue to increase in functionality with each successive generation adding more. At this point the prospect of releasing a device that only plays games and does absolutely nothing else would be ridiculous. Really the only major difference to a casual user is better internet browsing capabilities, a difference that I think will be gone when the Wii U is released.

Basically it will come down to the operating system you prefer for your computers, handhelds, pads, phones or whatever; Windows, Mac, Nintendo and Sony. Game consoles are dead and personal computing is evolving.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
TheBestPieEver said:
Actually I like more the consoles. Especially for the controls. I was never big on PC gaming and I just downloaded TF2 and I hate the mouse and keyboard to control a game.
Dude you can use the same controllers on a PC as you do a console. both a PS3 and a 360 controller. "Controller" excuse is just something to make you feel better about a preferance and be completly ignorant at the same time. This is one of the reasons consoles as gaming machines is on the decline. excuses such as i prefer a controller and i prefer to sit on my couch infront of my bigscreen TV are completly irrelevant. today you can do the same exact thing on a console as you can on a good laptop and more and more people know that. Laptop PC's will kill both the console and desktop PC market.

If you look at the cell phone/mp3 player/portable game device market you can see it is completly controlled by the smartphones. why would you want a cell phone an MP3 player and a game machine when you can have a phone that does all 3 just as good with more functions than all 3 would have? you wouldnt unless you were an uber geek that just has to have all of them regardless of redundancy. Thats what laptops are doing today in the PC market and console market. why would you have a console to play games and movies, a desktop PC for work and internet, and a laptop for portable version of the desktop? shit no you would buy a laptop and do all 3.

Laptops are not quite ready to dominate yet because the vid cards on them are still getting roughed out and the best laptop vid card today is mid/top range for a desktop card. give it a couple years and most likely before both Sony and MS bring out the next gen consolized PC a laptop GPU will be as good as any desktop.

Sud0_x

Dec 16, 2009
I'm sure I read an article a while ago on modern consoles essentially becoming PCs.

It's weird, man, all these separatists..

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
lol
no
if i had to hazard a guess its the consoles that would die first from how much more costly they are to their company's.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Polock said:
Honestly its more like "consoles" are becomeing PC's.
Eeeeyup. Pretty much this. The only thing consoles can't do right now is word process or run CAD. They basically do everything apart from the "boring work programmes". MS might as well just add kinect compatibility to PCs and you can have the same things.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
PC gaming won't ever truly "die". There is always going to be at least someone who gives enough of a fuck to create something inexplicably fun just because they're bored. Niche fulfillment and all that.

As for MAINSTREAM gaming? The real question lies not in "will PC gaming become the future of mainstream" so much as "Can consoles survive the costs of development again?"

If they can, then consoles will remain dominant. Convenience and initial cost will trump the technical superiority of PC gaming in terms of mass-market appeal. At least until we hit the cost-ceiling for electronic processors (when Moore's Law no longer applies; bedlam).

We're looking at the Proprietary Publishing systems vs Console Gardens.
The PUBLISHERS ultimately control the fate of mainstream gaming; not Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo (especially not Nintendo anymore), and the Big Three will have to suck up to the Publishers even harder with an appealing platform to invest in or the publishers will default to PC.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
JET1971 said:
TheBestPieEver said:
Actually I like more the consoles. Especially for the controls. I was never big on PC gaming and I just downloaded TF2 and I hate the mouse and keyboard to control a game.
Dude you can use the same controllers on a PC as you do a console. both a PS3 and a 360 controller. "Controller" excuse is just something to make you feel better about a preferance and be completly ignorant at the same time. This is one of the reasons consoles as gaming machines is on the decline. excuses such as i prefer a controller and i prefer to sit on my couch infront of my bigscreen TV are completly irrelevant. today you can do the same exact thing on a console as you can on a good laptop and more and more people know that. Laptop PC's will kill both the console and desktop PC market.

If you look at the cell phone/mp3 player/portable game device market you can see it is completly controlled by the smartphones. why would you want a cell phone an MP3 player and a game machine when you can have a phone that does all 3 just as good with more functions than all 3 would have? you wouldnt unless you were an uber geek that just has to have all of them regardless of redundancy. Thats what laptops are doing today in the PC market and console market. why would you have a console to play games and movies, a desktop PC for work and internet, and a laptop for portable version of the desktop? shit no you would buy a laptop and do all 3.

Laptops are not quite ready to dominate yet because the vid cards on them are still getting roughed out and the best laptop vid card today is mid/top range for a desktop card. give it a couple years and most likely before both Sony and MS bring out the next gen consolized PC a laptop GPU will be as good as any desktop.
Its impossible for a gpu in a laptop to be as good as a gpu in a desktop. (Unless they invent a new way of cooling stuff)

The biggest reason is that laptops cannot have enough cooling while with a desktop you can use watercooling or use chassis with several fans and lots of space.

Tax_Document

Mar 13, 2011
Millions of people use Steam, 10 million WoW Subscribers, 25 million play League of Legends, not to mention other games/services, hundreds of thousands log into Runescape, RUNESCAPE, everyday.

Whoever say it's dying hasn't researched it enough.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
When it comes to the best quality looking game you just can't beat the PC. When you think graphics you think PC and its not like you can't hook up a controller to your computer. These together insure computers will stay for a long time.

However, Piracy is hurting the industry and its a turn off to game developers to create a PC version or at least delay it for a while. I don't think PC gaming will die out any time soon though.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Zack Alklazaris said:
When it comes to the best quality looking game you just can't beat the PC. When you think graphics you think PC and its not like you can't hook up a controller to your computer. These together insure computers will stay for a long time.

However, Piracy is hurting the industry and its a turn off to game developers to create a PC version or at least delay it for a while. I don't think PC gaming will die out any time soon though.
Funny part is that piracy exist for Xbox 360 and Ps3 as well.

And whats even more funny is that pretty much all big xbox 360 games are leaked 2-3 weeks before release date.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Tubez said:
Zack Alklazaris said:

And whats even more funny is that pretty much all big xbox 360 games are leaked 2-3 weeks before release date.
Best part is for some reason industries ignore them completely... maybe its just not as bad. I know some PC games had a 1/4 ratio. As in for every game bought 4 were stolen. Not sure about consoles.

It should change relatively soon, most games are become online games and with that you need a actual copy. I would love for companies to bring back all games on PCs instead of just straight to consoles.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Zack Alklazaris said:
Tubez said:
Zack Alklazaris said:

Best part is for some reason industries ignore them completely... maybe its just not as bad. I know some PC games had a 1/4 ratio. As in for every game bought 4 were stolen. Not sure about consoles.

It should change relatively soon, most games are become online games and with that you need a actual copy. I would love for companies to bring back all games on PCs instead of just straight to consoles.
pff you do not need an actual copy for Xbox 360. A "friend" of mine had a modded xbox 360 which he used to play xbox 360 games online with.

And another fun fact if I didnt used to pirate I would most likely never gotten into pc gaming and therefor I wouldn't have bought around 100games and a very expensive computer.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
The PC tower rig seems like old technology these days. It's my thought that it along with consoles will eventually fade away.

The tower will take a long time though considering business dependence on it...but I'd imagine it'll be a thing of the past in about 20 years.

It's my thought that gaming will go online only and primarily exist on hand held devices like tablets, and cell phones, ect. This isn't really what I hope will happen, but it seems to make the most sense given where we are today.

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
misterprickly said:
Why is it people keep interpreting what I say to be the opposite of what I mean?

Ever saw the poster " pc gaming, happily dying since 1985".

I was kinda going for that type of tone.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
The PUBLISHERS ultimately control the fate of mainstream gaming; not Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo (especially not Nintendo anymore), and the Big Three will have to suck up to the Publishers even harder with an appealing platform to invest in or the publishers will default to PC.
On the flipside of that though, don't a lot of developers prefer consoles because the hardware is standardised and they don't have the PC-related problem of testing and optimising the game for a million different hardware configurations?