Poll: Physics question and discussion

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
So I'm just gonna put this out there I'm no mathematician but I thought of something
Also just gonna put this up here yes I did make this to ask a simple question no your not allowed to do the same jks I also made this for you.
So my question today is could the following hold any merit.
Now for my theory
Ideas thoughts things we all have everyday now for this part I want to focus on is potential mass and at point does potential mass become mass,
if I were to convince you to start world war three and you did that would that in turn give my idea impact or mass and if the answer is yes, to go faster the the speed of light mass would have to be infinite right (yes I did google it for anybody bringing quantum entanglement or negative matter into conversation and no I no nothing about either of those things)
yes then I believe Ideas to move faster then the speed of light as at point early man thought to create you at some point and so on and so fourth.
yes I did come up with this idea by visualizing the light bulb idea trope you've probably seen animated

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Re-read what you just posted, and try and figure out what you just said.

Format, format, format.

Take a deep breath.

But if I had to guess, you are asking if giving someone an idea(which they follow through with), would give this idea a physical manifestation as mass, and this mass would then travel at the speed of light.
And that ideas could travel faster than light, and thus an idea was given about mankind in the future, but since the idea travels so fast, it entered a time loop and created mankind in the past.

??????????????????????????????????????????

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
Glongpre said:
1 an idea is like an I.O.U for mass; for example my idea led me to make this which led you to comment which I assume required thought, now my idea has spread to you and has exerted energy in you typing which = mass according to e=mc2 is possible at least the energy conversion to mass part anyway.
2 it's the mass moving at infinity (rapidly growing at an incalculable rate)
3 The potential the thought itself I propose can move at or faster then the speed of light
4 a thought travels at the speed of light between people and has infinite mass because of the limitless
possibilities that the original created as it travels from origin to hosts.
I think viewing the "thought" as a singular was wrong as it can be called or identified as a singular entity but it's actually many thoughts as each person involved gradually gets the ball rolling.
Yeah sorry it was a bit confusing at the start

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
inu-kun said:
No, take a computer, it has a limited memory. By adding a file you are not "adding memory" but rather allocating space that was not used for that file, I'd take a wager a similar thing happens with our brains.

I don't understand the last part but it reminds me of a joke in Discworld about royalty passing instantaneously after the previous king/queen died, making a wizard wanting to use it as a way of delievering messages.
trying to prove idea = speed of light/infinite mass
thought it would be funny to add a light bulb reference

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
Hamish Durie said:
Glongpre said:
1 an idea is like an I.O.U for mass; for example my idea led me to make this which led you to comment which I assume required thought, now my idea has spread to you and has exerted energy in you typing which = mass according to e=mc2 is possible at least the energy conversion to mass part anyway.
2 it's the mass moving at infinity (rapidly growing at an incalculable rate)
3 The potential the thought itself I propose can move at or faster then the speed of light
4 a thought travels at the speed of light between people and has infinite mass because of the limitless
possibilities that the original created as it travels from origin to hosts.
I think viewing the "thought" as a singular was wrong as it can be called or identified as a singular entity but it's actually many thoughts as each person involved gradually gets the ball rolling.
Yeah sorry it was a bit confusing at the start
That doesn't sound like physics.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Hamish Durie said:
So I'm just gonna put this out there I'm no mathematician but I thought of something
Also just gonna put this up here yes I did make this to ask a simple question no your not allowed to do the same jks I also made this for you.
So my question today is could the following hold any merit.
Now for my theory
Ideas thoughts things we all have everyday now for this part I want to focus on is potential mass and at point does potential mass become mass,
if I were to convince you to start world war three and you did that would that in turn give my idea impact or mass and if the answer is yes, to go faster the the speed of light mass would have to be infinite right (yes I did google it for anybody bringing quantum entanglement or negative matter into conversation and no I no nothing about either of those things)
yes then I believe Ideas to move faster then the speed of light as at point early man thought to create you at some point and so on and so fourth.
yes I did come up with this idea by visualizing the light bulb idea trope you've probably seen animated
Your idea doesn't travel at the speed of light, though, it travels at the speed of communication. If you write your idea down and send it via carrier pigeon it would travel at the speed of the pigeon. Your idea is also affected by the time it takes for someone to comprehend it and then turn it into action in order for it to affect mass

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If ideas had mass that could probably be measured.

If that mass travels at the speed of light, that could definitely...um, not be measured because it'd cause all kinds of problems.

I see no reason why an idea should have mass. It does not exist in the real world, only when it's recorded somewhere, like on paper or in someone's head. That recording has mass.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
inu-kun said:
I don't understand the last part but it reminds me of a joke in Discworld about royalty passing instantaneously after the previous king/queen died, making a wizard wanting to use it as a way of delievering messages.
Was literally thinking about the exact same thing. IIRC they wanted to experiment by carefully torturing a minor King.

Anyway, OP, your mistake in reasoning is here:

if I were to convince you to start world war three and you did that would that in turn give my idea impact or mass
No it wouldn't. Because you're confusing two different definitions of the word "impact" and using that to assign mass to an idea. Ideas are, in short, thoughts. Ideas are abstract, they do not have physical form. Abstract things do not have mass.

In effect you're confusing "impact" as in "collide" with "impact" as in "influence". They're not the same thing despite being the same word.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Lightspeaker said:
inu-kun said:
Was literally thinking about the exact same thing. IIRC they wanted to experiment by carefully torturing a minor King.
Well, I don't think they went there, since the theory was interrupted by the pub closing.