Poll: Picketing the Future Funeral of Fred Phelps (Leader of the Westboro Baptist Church)

the spud

May 2, 2011
Why stop there? I think we could take it a bit further, if you know what I mean. At the very least it should be 10 times the size of the comic-con counter protest.

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
Picket his funeral?

No.

Throw a coast to coast "day of celebration" where everyone in the US does a happy dance?

Hell. Yes.

I am going to throw a huge party when this asshole kicks the bucket.

And I will lol hardcore if people picket his funeral.

Captcha: vocals: beiepe

0_o

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
How does that saying go? "Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience". Pretty much that. Ignore the guy and he'll go away.

jessegeek

Oct 31, 2011
Broknhead said:
when your brain and heart are at odds, let your penis decide

edit:

also, u hear a lot of people saying about one group or another "they arent true christians", but WBC beliefs are true to the bible, so essentially they are the truest christians of all because they dont cherry pick from the bible.
*Looks down*

*Is female*

... daaaaaaaaamn.

S'cool though, I came down on one side of the fence eventually (the 'don't do it' side), so I guess one of my other organs stepped up to the plate. I like to think it was my small intestine. :)

Shaughn Caso

Mar 29, 2010
No, as it has been said many times already, it just causes us to be no different than them.

what needs to happen is for them to be removed from the gene pool, they are corrupting everybody around them. As a die hard patriot and future soldier, I am wholeheartedly against them, but to picket their funeral would be like tea bagging the corpse. It won't do anything and will just make the perpetrator look childish.

EDIT:if you wanted to actually get back at them, plant something illegal on the corpse or with the group so they all get busted for ownership of hallucinogenic drugs or some related item to throw everything about them into question and undermine everything they have been working for.

shadowseal22

Oct 3, 2010
I'm sorry guys we can't protest it, how are we supposed to one up the KKK protesting them. But in all seriousness, the reason we hated Westboro's protests is because they were in poor tastes, let's not lower ourselves to their level.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
ravensheart18 said:
canadamus_prime said:
No, we don't want to lower ourselves to his level. We are better than that aren't we? Best to just stay away from them.
Yeah, this was my thought.

Plus they would find a way to take advantage of it. It would, for example, bring a lot of publicity in which they would get to do bunches of interviews and act the victim while spreading more of their hate. And of course if any protester crossed the line they would make money suing them.
Yes! That's it exactly! I know how appealing the thought of giving them a taste of their own medicine is, but it won't work. People like the WBC thrive on attention, esp. negative attention. So getting back at them in that manner only encourages them. You really want to beat them you have to deprive them of the one thing they crave most, attention.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
I'm hesitant to make this comparison, because it isn't really the same thing. But I can't help but think back to what Jim Sterling said in "Fight in the Name of Childishness". Him saying that it was because of people sinking down to the level of those ignorant of video games that one of them to apologize.

This is a gross oversimplification as I know there is a very BIG gap between answering what is essentially a slandering with another slandering and...wait, actually when put like that it is pretty similar isn't it? Huh? Well, I guess take away what you will from that.

Anywho that's just my take on it. Would I personally picket his funeral? If it were convenient for me, I probably still wouldn't do it for the simple fact that such a demonstration would undoubtedly attract media attention and I really don't like being in the spotlight, it makes me VERY uncomfortable. I wouldn't be able to stand the cameras even if they weren't pointed at me.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
the man isn't worth the time and effort. all that does is prove they got through to us and make us as hateful as them. once fred dies, he's gone. every person, and i damn well mean every person, deserves a proper burial. even if he didn't allow others to get theirs, it's not out place, unless we want to be as bad as them, to do the same to him. if you really, really want to show that his death is a good thing, don't give a fuck. remembering him gives him a legacy, thus he lives on. letting him die does just that, let him die

Mikkel421427

Nov 10, 2010
6_Qubed said:
Fuck picketing, make it illegal to bury his crazy ass.

Let him rot in the sun for a while, give his family something to meditate upon.
"Sorry. No can do. We can't risk having all that crazy seeping out and into the water supply"

jamart

Feb 16, 2011
No, it would just give them more attention, which is the very, very last yhing they should be given

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Pah, what's with all the holier-than-thou sentiment? It's surely MANDATORY to make sure the shrivelled-up old bastard's funeral goes down with a bang. I'm thinking a speaker system playing a non-stop laugh track interspersed with the Benny Hill theme, fireworks, a conga-line of gay men in drag...

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
They picket funerals. We wouldn't want to lower our selves to their level would we?...
Sorry, I couldn't keep a straight face when I typed that.

seriously his entire crazy family will be there along with a bunch of people who didn't think he was a crazy fucking nutcase? You should firebomb his funeral. Honestly does anyone think the world wouldn't be a better place without those whack-jobs?

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Gotta say, it sounds appealing. The only thing that really stops me from saying yes is the fact that I highly doubt that he'd be buried anywhere near me.

Then again, the idea of the SDCC counter protesters [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.217762-Comic-Con-Hilariously-Strikes-Back-Against-Hate-Church#7341063], some parade gays (I really mean no offense there, and I'm sorry if I did offend by using the term), soldiers and whoever else wanted to go all get together for Protest-A-Palooza. Just imagine all the fun signs they'd have, all the catchy phrases they'd use, the songs they'd sing. Seems like it'd be fun, esp. if they all got together and did this: