Poll: Picking a Steam game

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
I've recently come into some money after spending a while broke, but since I won't be getting anymore for at least a couple more weeks I'd really rather not over do it in terms of buying games, especially not all at once

so of the three steam games I'm interested in buying I've decided to only get one of them and wait for either a sale or for me to get more money before getting the other two

the way I see it Broken Age looks to have an interesting story and comes from a good pedigree but is ultimately unproven since it hasn't come out yet, I am a big fan of adventure games though, so there is that

AC:L has been getting mediocre reviews but on the other hand it's an Assassin's Creed game and to me that pretty much guarantees I will at least enjoy it a little, due to my relationship with the rest of the series

lastly Kerbal Space Program looks fun and looks like exactly the kind of game i'd really like and spend a lot of time on, but in the same vain it's an early access game and i've never been one to trust those kinds of games with my money, they tend to be buggy and they don't always update very quickly

EDIT: why doesn't the poll let me type more than "Assassin" for the second option? I tried to type out the whole title and it wouldn't let me, it just shortens it to "Assassin"

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
My vote goes to Kerbal Space Program, it's received a load of updates and is well worth playing and very fleshed out at this point, especially with all the mods available for it, turning it into a game where you can build any kind of flying machine you can imagine. Out of the three options, this would probably give you the most hours of sheer fun.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
Well if your aim is to fill your time efficiently, due to you saying that you do not have money to throw around and won't for a while, I would suggest 'not' getting broken age. It's an episodic, periodically released game, so you will finish the first episode relatively quickly and be left with nothing until an update arrives.

snowpuppy

Feb 18, 2011
Kerbal Soace Program is a very nearly completed game, bugs are rare and patched overnight if they are severe. I wholly recommend it if you love science. There is a steep learning curve but a few Youtube videos will help you out. And no game has ever captured the feeling of pride that landing on the Moon gives you. Buy it. :)

Aug 1, 2010
I Max95 said:
lastly Kerbal Space Program looks fun and looks like exactly the kind of game i'd really like and spend a lot of time on, but in the same vain it's an early access game and i've never been one to trust those kinds of games with my money, they tend to be buggy and they don't always update very quickly
Definitely go for Kerbal.

I have very much the same feelings about early access games and I can easily say that if I didn't know better, I would say KSP was a full product.

The bugs are minimal at worst and there's enough content to keep you going for years, assuming you have to patience.

If you do decide on KSP, don't be afraid to look at some tutorials. It is, after all, quite literally rocket science. Just search Scott Manley on Youtube.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Seeing as you are really into AC you are probably the only person I would recommend get that new game, because it is inferior to all the previous ones and everything it does they have been doing 20 times over at this point.

For a novel experience Kerbal is the prime choice, but you need to be into experimenting with rocket building.

And for Broken Age I would say wait until it's done or at least released, yes all the privileged review houses are singing their praises but who the hell knows what they base their assessments on and which faults they omit.

P.S. Polls seem to have problems with apostrophes.

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
Choose KSP. There's a lot to do and it takes time to do everything right.

It updates pretty frequently. You can go to the Kerbal wiki for the version history and a list of features implemented in the game.

I wouldn't go to Youtube for tutorials. The game has a very basic tutorial and the creativity of your builds might suffer. That's just my 2 cents.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Another vote for Kerbal Space Program here. Broken age is great, but it's very, very short as is and won't last more than a few hours. Whereas KSP will last you for a long time, and is definitely not one of those "unfinished" Early Access games.

Also, in regards to your edit: For some reason apostrophes within poll options cancel out all text after it.

Euryptus

May 4, 2011
Although it makes this thread sound like a broken record, I'll recommend Kerbal Space Program as well. It's very close to being finished, offers hours and hours of gameplay and most of all is enormous FUN (I use the term in the same way it's applied in Dwarf Fortress).

Seriously, it really is a fantastic game. Its going through beta and growing all the time, and the bugs are more entertaining than annoying.

There's also a really strong modding community already, providing you with even more game.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
The bugs are minimal at worst and there's enough content to keep you going for years, assuming you have to patience.

If you do decide on KSP, don't be afraid to look at some tutorials. It is, after all, quite literally rocket science. Just search Scott Manley on Youtube.
Quoted for truth. Scott Manley is enormously helpful in learning the game. At the other end of the Youtube spectrum, I'd also recommend having a look at Danny2462's channel to get an idea of the sheer possibilities (as well as seeing some of the bugs - now mostly defunct - in action) and enjoy his brand of twisted comedy.

If that doesn't persuade you, I can only say it's the most entertaining game I've played in years (since Dwarf Fortress in fact).

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
I Max95 said:
EDIT: why doesn't the poll let me type more than "Assassin" for the second option? I tried to type out the whole title and it wouldn't let me, it just shortens it to "Assassin"
The poll doesn't like apostrophes usually. There are some conditions when you can use an apostrophe in the poll and it wouldn't swallow everything after it, but I don't know what they are. I think it may even require a goat sacrifice. Just write it without the apostrophe and it should be fine.

Anyway - I wanted to say that I have a coupon for -25% on Broken Age. Got 3 of them today, so if you wish, I will happily give you one (and anybody else, if interested).

I really can't comment on, nor recommend any of these games, for I haven't played any. So, sorry about that.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I'll vote KSP too, it's a great game, and while it may be early access it's fairly stable and generally won't break unless you're actively trying to break it.

Sep 14, 2009
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
I Max95 said:
Definitely go for Kerbal.

I have very much the same feelings about early access games and I can easily say that if I didn't know better, I would say KSP was a full product.

yepp share this opinion for sure. The game is superb for being an early access game, and I DEFINITELY recommend tutorial vidoes on youtube, helps speed up your learning curve alot, and can give you some ideas for specific builds that work/don't work and how far it'll take you by doing such builds.

OT: this game is my high school dream, I loved making rockets for projects in autodesk inventor (which is very similar in functions, just more in detail.) so combining it with a game made this my favorite purchase from the winter thus far.