Poll: picnic in the graveyard?

hippykiller

Dec 28, 2008
kinda messed up broski. A graveyard is the final resting place for many peoples loved ones. try a meadow or a field or something.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
NightShadeNes said:
It's moraly wrong but there's nothing ilegal if you do it
Because there's only one set of morals (and they apparently matter!).

There are plenty of people who (claim) to find sex immoral. Or fun, immoral. And most of them have kids. And those who don't are probably catholic priests, and we all know who they're tapping.

Really, if you're going to go believing that the dead somehow know and care that you're having fun on their graves, why exactly would they be necessarily against it? Shouldn't they, not that this scenario is at all possible because there's no soul and the dead are simply dead and no longer exist as people, actually be happy that those who're alive are enjoying their life?

If I would be buried in a conventional funeral (I won't, because fuck that) and someone would have a party on my grave, maybe bring some alcohol and weed because it's not like there are cops in the graveyard aside from the, well, dead ones, that would care about you drinking on public property, I'd only give them a zombie thumbs up.

Which would still be impossible BECAUSE I WOULD BE DEAD.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
It is entirely respectful and acceptable and well within the norms of the expectations of society. Go right ahead.

If you don't think so, then what about the guy who drives round the graveyard every day with a lawnmower? That is allowed, but just going there to be alone with ones thoughts, and to bring a snack, is not, in your rules that you made up?

Hell, my best mate is the vicar's son, and we used to sit in the churchyard in the middle of the night smoking weed and talking about the existential nature of the universe, as it was so accessible, being right outside his house. The dead people were glad of the company. During the day it is a great place to spot wildlife.

If you're worried about fitting in amongst the [del]secret agents[/del] grieving widows, just carry some plastic flowers so you look like one of them ;)
"The cemetery is filled with dead people. The people are underground. And I have brought flowers... because I am sad."
"Ah, I see that you are grieving. I will give you your space."

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
It's sort of hilarious that this topic is here because just today I saw a snippet in a local paper about "graveyard picnics".
It was about a woman who has been doing it for a while now, but she is part of a club that documents and traces the lineage of people buried in the various graveyards in the area, and that's what the article was really about`.
The quote that got me was that her kids, "just thought that was the normal place where you go to have a picnic."
Not that I see a huge moral issue with it, but it's a bit weird to bring your kids along all the time to the point where they assume that's what a normal picnic is...maybe try a park once in a while?
oktalist said:
"The cemetery is filled with dead people. The people are underground. And I have brought flowers... because I am sad."
"Ah, I see that you are grieving. I will give you your space."
"I am your sister in grief."

ilion

Aug 20, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
To me? No. For two reasons:

1: Grave yards are creepy as all heck.

2: Your eating on top of Corpses. That's highly disrespectful not only for the resting dead, but also for those who had to buy the Coffins, as well as the church that wishes the area remain peaceful and undisturbed (Unless it's one of those graves not affiliated with a church).

You wanna do it? Fine, go ahead. I am just saying it's not the right or nice thing to do.

I agree. It should be respected. Doesnt matter what you believe. even if they are not creepy, i believe it should be a solemn place.

MagicMouse

Dec 31, 2009
crudus said:
MagicMouse said:
crudus said:
Pick a gravestone and say "this is my friend. (S)He died in a car accident on (read death day) and we used to go on picnics all the time so I am sharing one with her/him now so we can keep the tradition going". Choose one that died recently and young.
And that is the moment the mother/father of said dead boy beat you into the ground and call the police, as they knew all his friends.

OP: The people who buried their friends/family in that graveyard chose to do it there and not in a cafeteria for a reason, please stop.
Call the police because op are eating her food in a public place? She has every right to be there as the parents do. Wait, someone has the right to kick the crap out of you but op doesn't have the right to eat where she pleases?
It's not about rights it's about RESPECT. People bury their dead in graveyards not expecting them to be used like parks. It's also selfish to think you have some "right" to eat there. If everyone thought this then the grave yard would become a busy "picnic area" and the location completely desecrated.

If I caught someone having a nice little picnic anywere near another persons grave(that they don't know) I would certainly ask them to leave.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
MagicMouse said:
crudus said:
MagicMouse said:
crudus said:
Pick a gravestone and say "this is my friend. (S)He died in a car accident on (read death day) and we used to go on picnics all the time so I am sharing one with her/him now so we can keep the tradition going". Choose one that died recently and young.
And that is the moment the mother/father of said dead boy beat you into the ground and call the police, as they knew all his friends.

OP: The people who buried their friends/family in that graveyard chose to do it there and not in a cafeteria for a reason, please stop.
Call the police because op are eating her food in a public place? She has every right to be there as the parents do. Wait, someone has the right to kick the crap out of you but op doesn't have the right to eat where she pleases?
It's not about rights it's about RESPECT. People bury their dead in graveyards not expecting them to be used like parks. It's also selfish to think you have some "right" to eat there. If everyone thought this then the grave yard would become a busy "picnic area" and the location completely desecrated.

If I caught someone having a nice little picnic anywere near another persons grave(that they don't know) I would certainly ask them to leave.
And I would polightly say no. It's have the right to eat in a public place. And my towns graveyard has being left unadended for years. Graves are just falling apart. I think the people buried would be happy to see someone come and spend some time with them.

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
Billion Backs said:
Now talking to one-self is totally fine =p You're giving the input, you're giving the output, it all sums up nicely. Bwahah.
Arguing with oneself and losing, however, is a different story.

Especially if the argument involves one's mother.

^_^

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Wardnath said:
Billion Backs said:
Now talking to one-self is totally fine =p You're giving the input, you're giving the output, it all sums up nicely. Bwahah.
Arguing with oneself and losing, however, is a different story.

Especially if the argument involves one's mother.

^_^
How can one lose to himself?

Unless you've got a Tyler Durden in there, I think you're winning or at least getting a tie no matter what.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
It is perfectly fine to sit and eat quietly in a graveyard.

Start late night rave parties there however...

JamesJoltWolf

Sep 6, 2009
i would find it alittle disrespectful. but... i think it would have a nice atomosphere all nice and quiet and it would be alittle interesting it would be tempting to try, me and friends do sit in graveyards sometimes but thats not often normally we sit under a tree and talk and wait for people to meet us sometimes.

TheBoulder

Nov 11, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
To me? No. For two reasons:

1: Grave yards are creepy as all heck.

2: Your eating on top of Corpses. That's highly disrespectful not only for the resting dead, but also for those who had to buy the Coffins, as well as the church that wishes the area remain peaceful and undisturbed (Unless it's one of those graves not affiliated with a church).

You wanna do it? Fine, go ahead. I am just saying it's not the right or nice thing to do.
1. Go to a graveyard, they're not creepy.

2. When you drive a car, you burn the corpses of dinosaurs, plants and (possibly) ancient humans.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
MagicMouse said:

Ok, politely asking to leave is different than assault. Anyway, if they say they know the person you really can't prove otherwise (unless the person was stupid and chose someone who died in 1950 or something). As a passerby you really don't even have the authority to ask them to leave. I still haven't heard any reason as to why it is disrespectful. If you are respectful and don't litter then you are fine which is true for anywhere you go.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Yeah it's fine. If someone has a problem with you eating in a public pace then that's their subjective issue

Vilcus

Jun 29, 2009
In the long run, as another thread discussed, graveyards are basically a waste of space anyways. I visit those I lost from time to time, and if I saw someone having a picnick, It would actually cheer me up a bit to see someone enjoying their day while I dwell on the past.

So no, it isn't weird, nor do I think it is disrespectful, because when you sit down to eat, it's almost like you invited all of the lost souls in the graveyard to a picnick, and that brings a smile to my face.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
Vilcus said:
In the long run, as another thread discussed, graveyards are basically a waste of space anyways. I visit those I lost from time to time, and if I saw someone having a picnick, It would actually cheer me up a bit to see someone enjoying their day while I dwell on the past.

So no, it isn't weird, nor do I think it is disrespectful, because when you sit down to eat, it's almost like you invited all of the lost souls in the graveyard to a picnick, and that brings a smile to my face.
That would make a great coca cola ad.

ddon

Jun 29, 2009
I often walk to the graveyard as well so it's ok with me. I even clean the tombstones and water the flowers sometimes, not with out making my symbol out of twigs then leaves to put on something of course.