Poll: Planescape Torment v. Arcanum of Steamworks

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Arcanum had a silly story.

"Oh, you crashed in a blimp on THIS hill, you must be a resurrected god". Though you got the exact same bs in Morrowind and people eat that shit up with it's walls of dialogue, so maybe I'm wrong. Unfortunately I never really went too in depth on that because that wimp always dies to something dumb, like one black bear shows up and does a 360noscope double critical face eat and one shots him every time. I assume all of the explanation into that nonsense is gated behind keeping that robe wearing sissy alive.

It was fun as shit to play, though I have no idea why. Similar games have bored the crap out of me, but for whatever reason I come back to Arcanum pretty regularly.

I never played planescape, but most people seem to suggest it is the exact opposite of that(great story awful gameplay), so I'd pick Arcanum.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
The ending of planescape made me cry and forever changed my views on how I view people. I make a point of not taking media seriously and only using it for passing enjoyment but planescape shattered through that wall.

vasiD

Oct 28, 2012
Zeckt said:
The ending of planescape made me cry and forever changed my views on how I view people. I make a point of not taking media seriously and only using it for passing enjoyment but planescape shattered through that wall.
Wow, that's a powerful recommendation. I can tell you right now that I will do everything in my power to reach the end of that game after reading that. Well spoken.

Feb 24, 2011
Anthraxus said:
Laurents van Cauwenberghe said:
i liked the story of planescape: torment a LOT but the combat bores me so hard that I don't want to play another oldschool RPG so that is obviously my vote...
also does anyone else have this problem with these games? i'd really like to play them but they're SO BORING
Do you think all old school RPGs have the same combat as PST or something ?
i've played a bunch of crpgs but i've never played them longer than 20 minutes(that's why i didn't count them as crpgs i've played) because i always miss my attacks
but worry not!
i figured out that i build my characters wrong and that's why the combat bored me!

Feb 24, 2011
ElectroJosh said:
i liked the story of planescape: torment a LOT but the combat bores me so hard that I don't want to play another oldschool RPG so that is obviously my vote...
also does anyone else have this problem with these games? i'd really like to play them but they're SO BORING
Nope - if anything I prefer the older RPGs (Wasteland 2 being my most anticipated game for 2013).
i figured out what's wrong (i'm a retard apparently!)
but now that i fixed what was wrong the combat doesn't bore me as much anymore
it's still less exciting than in arpgs but i'm having more fun with it than before

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
ElectroJosh said:
Nope - if anything I prefer the older RPGs (Wasteland 2 being my most anticipated game for 2013).
i figured out what's wrong (i'm a retard apparently!)
but now that i fixed what was wrong the combat doesn't bore me as much anymore
it's still less exciting than in arpgs but i'm having more fun with it than before
Oh, well at least thats the reason. For me (and a lot of people of my age) games like Baldur's Gate, Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape Torment and the like were an apex of RPG gaming. Where a great story was fused with fantastic graphics, tactical combat, and easy playability. This is, partly, compared to what came before but also because they did manage to provide a complex gaming experience through (relatively) simple GUIs.

In the past you either had a simple interface or a complex game - getting both was rare. Graphically the games still look better than most of the polygon-based games of their era and they tended to encourage multiple play-throughs making them games that their fans replay over and over. So a lot of the love for these games is rooted in the fact that the fans were in the right place at the right time.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Arcanum is my favorite isometric RPG because it's a ton of fun, has a great setting, and a ton of cool quests, but Planescape Torment is the better game in terms of what I would say are the most important parts of a role playing game; engaging story, freedom of choice (I don't mean sandbox choice; I mean being able to make important choices in the story), and well-written characters.

Still, while Planescape Torment is one of the best RPGs ever made, I can't really bring myself to play it twice, while I've played Arcanum three times now...

Zaik said:
Arcanum had a silly story.

"Oh, you crashed in a blimp on THIS hill, you must be a resurrected god". Though you got the exact same bs in Morrowind and people eat that shit up with it's walls of dialogue, so maybe I'm wrong. Unfortunately I never really went too in depth on that because that wimp always dies to something dumb, like one black bear shows up and does a 360noscope double critical face eat and one shots him every time. I assume all of the explanation into that nonsense is gated behind keeping that robe wearing sissy alive.

It was fun as shit to play, though I have no idea why. Similar games have bored the crap out of me, but for whatever reason I come back to Arcanum pretty regularly.

I never played planescape, but most people seem to suggest it is the exact opposite of that(great story awful gameplay), so I'd pick Arcanum.
Yeah, the resurrected god part is pretty lame, but imo a lot of the other stories are very interesting and well-written. You know, the stuff with the dwarven clans, the fate of that advanced tech city in the wastes to the East, the fall of Cumbria, that sort of thing.

I don't think the resurrected god / Virgil's weird religion story is the main story; it's just the first one you run into. Also, he's very useful early game as a healer, so don't let him die :|

KingHodor

Aug 30, 2011
Oh yay! Another Arcanum thread.

And my opinion of the game remains unchanged: This is the most unbalanced game I've ever played. And I don't mean "unbalanced" as in "poorly balanced", I mean "not balanced at all".
When the dog is the strongest fighter in your party because he's got all his character points into strength and therefore gets an insane damage bonus to each melee attack that allows him to open reinforced doors with his bare teeth, something is wrong right off the bat. The biggest joke though is that the most unbalanced weapon in the game is named the "balanced sword" - it can be crafted by a beginner swordsmith, and its ridiculously quick attacks, combined with the aforementioned bonus for high-strength characters, effectively make all those Holy Greatswords of Flaming Doom that you might find in dungeons superfluous.

Still... the steampunk scenario is amazingly atmospheric. It allows you unmatched freedom when creating your character. It was made by the guys who made the first Fallout, so you know you're in for quality quests. The main quest in particular is full of twists and surprises and features quality writing, especially if you take Virgil with you throughout the game. Also, the soundtrack is just beautiful.

Still... Planescape Torment, now that is another level entirely. The unique scenario, the insane amounts of amazing dialogue, the beautiful scenery and music and the story-focused gameplay make this a wholly unique experience, and probably Chris Avellone's greatest achievement. If you consider yourself an RPG gamer, you have to have played this one.

Evolutionary High

Oct 18, 2012
blindthrall said:
Planescape is the best written game ever. I have reservations I'll see a better game storyline ever.
Pathologic. The Void.

Not saying they're better stories, but it's pretty close you can make an argument for it.