Poll: Planetscape: Torment or Baldur's Gate 2?

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Darkmantle said:
I prefer BG2, Planescape has a few, not bugs I guess, but design flaws that caused me to have to look up the walkthrough. Like doors that are hidden behind the foreground and just things like that.
Ugh. If I could change one thing about PS:T it would be those bloody hidden doors.

I guess it's something at least that many of them are marked on the map.

Either way, it's a tough call. BG2 might be the better game, but PS:T is unique and worth playing. I suppose it also matters if OP is well versed in AD&D rules. BG2 might be a hassle at first if not. PS:T on the other hand allows for a bit more hands off approach to the rules.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Planescape has a better story (arguably one of the best games ever when it come to story). Baldur's Gate story is solid, but Torment is awesome.

Baldur's Gate 2 has better gameplay. Torment has good gameplay, but BG2 is better.

Planescape has a cool original setting.

Baldur's Gate has a more conservative and familiar setting.

Both games are freaking AWESOME!

If you're looking for something simple and easy to get into, I'd suggest Planescape. To get full mileage from BG2, you need to understand 2nd ed AD&D rules, know the spells and in general know what you're doing. Planescape is more pick-up-and-play and doesn't get so complex when it comes to stats, items, spells, classes and such. On the other hand, if you want a game with more mechanical complexity and depth, go for BG2. I swear, I spend more than an hour in the character creation screen every damn time I try to play that game...

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Jandau said:
If you're looking for something simple and easy to get into, I'd suggest Planescape. To get full mileage from BG2, you need to understand 2nd ed AD&D rules, know the spells and in general know what you're doing. Planescape is more pick-up-and-play and doesn't get so complex when it comes to stats, items, spells, classes and such.
Yet it's easy to lock yourself out of a lot of PS: T content if you don't turn every stone and if you don't think twice before you speak. So yeah it's easy to get into, but if you want to see all it has to offer, use a walkthrough on your second play, really. You'll be amazed how much you missed the first time around.

Oh and don't use the walkthrough the first time around. It's a bit like watching The Usual Suspects, first time it's an awesome movie, second time you may know what's going on but it's still an awesome movie because you notice new stuff you missed the first time. So, don't spoil the first time for yourself.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I would go for Planescape. I thought it was all around more enjoyable back in the day.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I preferred Baldur's Gate 2 to Planescape. BG2 has the best gameplay of the 2 and a better told story. Planescape has a more interesting story, but far too much writing.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Planescape. As others have said, they're both great games, and BG definitely has a lot more on the combat and action side. However, while BG is a great RPG, it's still pretty much a regular RPG. You have the same basic characters, the same basic fantasy world, the same basic mechanics, and ultimately a fairly standard story. Yes, it's all very well done, but you're not going to see much that will really come as a surprise.

Torment, on the other hand, is pretty much unique. The world and characters are not ones you'll see in a lot of other fantasy (other than more recent stuff inspired by Torment), and the story is much more than the not-so-original "Country boy finds out he has superpowers and goes on quest to save world" of BG.

So yeah. Play both, but if you have to choose which to do first, go with Torment. And then when you get around to Baldur's Gate, make sure you start with the first one, otherwise you'll miss out on a lot of the story and character development.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
I voted for Torment, but you should really play them both. Torment can be banged out in under 40 hours pretty easily. BG2 is going to run you at least double that, and more if you also play Throne of Bhaal.

As others have said, Torment has vastly better writing but Baldur's Gate 2 is more open and has better, more refined gameplay.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
They're both great. I suggest Baldur's Gate 1 with Tutu [http://usoutpost31.com/easytutu/], Baldur's Gate 2, then Planescape. At that point you've lost about a month of your life.

Tutu lets you play the original Baldur's Gate in the vastly improved Baldur's Gate 2 engine. It's awesome.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
as good as Torment is, I'd say Baldur's Gate 2, due to the actual gameplay of Torment being... not quite great =P

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Baldur's Gate 2. Loved and played both of them, but replayed Torment once and BG at least half a dozen.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
teh_gunslinger said:
Darkmantle said:
I prefer BG2, Planescape has a few, not bugs I guess, but design flaws that caused me to have to look up the walkthrough. Like doors that are hidden behind the foreground and just things like that.
Ugh. If I could change one thing about PS:T it would be those bloody hidden doors.

Either way, it's a tough call. BG2 might be the better game, but PS:T is unique and worth playing. I suppose it also matters if OP is well versed in AD&D rules. BG2 might be a hassle at first if not. PS:T on the other hand allows for a bit more hands off approach to the rules.
I have never played dnd i am too young to have played it when it was cool(in geek culture at least).

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
teh_gunslinger said:
Darkmantle said:

I dunno, I know only the basics of AD&D, I did okay :p, but it might be more than the OP knows

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
You know, if I were you, I would try to get a hold of the D&D anthology at EB games, it has:

Planescape: torment,

Baulders Gate 1,

Baulders Gate: tales of the sword coast,

Baulders Gate 2,

Baulders Gate: Throne of Bhaal,

Icewind Dale,

Icewind Dale 2

Temple of Elemental Evil

only 20 dollars :D

if you were to try BG, I'd start with the first one, the problem with BG2 is that it's a continuation of BG1, meaning you start at like level 10(ish0, so it's a bit heavy to start with.

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
Planescape is all about turning conventions on their head. Most fighters use maces, dialogue is the prime mechanic, wisdom is the most important attribute, every villain is basically an aspect of the protagonist or a fallen hero, etc. You really need to play a game like Baldur's Gate to fully appreciate everything it has to offer. They both have great stories, so you should definitely tackle both of them, but I saw Baldur's Gate first.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Darkmantle said:
teh_gunslinger said:
Darkmantle said:

I dunno, I know only the basics of AD&D, I did okay :p, but it might be more than the OP knows
I'm certainly not saying that one should know all the rules to play it. I don't myself. But I'd say that a new player might benefit from reading the manual closely. Else it might be confusing that armor is reversed and what the hell a THAC0 is.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
teh_gunslinger said:
Darkmantle said:
teh_gunslinger said:
Darkmantle said:

I'm certainly not saying that one should know all the rules to play it. I don't myself. But I'd say that a new player might benefit from reading the manual closely. Else it might be confusing that armor is reversed and what the hell a THAC0 is.
haha, yeah, that really messed me up the first time!