Poll: Playstation Plus users, What did you vote for this month?

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Hi everyone, feel like I haven't been involved in an actual game discussion for a long time, so I thought I'd post this fun little topic, simple enough discussion value, Which of the three games presented did you vote for to be added to the "Monthly Games" section of PS+ this month, and why? I myself voted for Grow Home, as to why...

I was never gonna vote for Zombie Vikings this month, it looks like fun and all, but up against the other two? No chance, on the other hand, it was a REALLY tough call for me to decide between Grow Home and Armello, both looked just...so good Grow home looks freakin' beautiful, and fun to boot and Armello at first glance looks like it's something of a strategy game, which is a rarity on console, and it, likewise looks great, I voted for Grow Home but if Armello gets it, I won't be disappointed, which ever one doesn't I'll probably just buy, Zombie Vikings I could take or leave though.

Anyway what about all of you fine people? What did you vote for and why?

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
Me and my brother voted for Zombie Vikings. Never heard of it but it looks fun and how can you go wrong with a title like ZOMBIE VIKINGS. lol

I've heard good things about Grow Home but it's just not our kind of thing. Too Slow and quiet. Games don't HAVE to all be violent schlock but I rarely find arty non-violent games like Grow Home interesting.

As for Armello the trailer was gorgeous but gave us no clue what the game was about or even the Genre.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I voted for Grow Home too.
It just looks like a neat, little game I can dabble in.

Plus, I'm intrigued by it, for I have not seen the ending.
Though when it comes to PS+, I'm hoping that they might expand the vote choices.

Feb 26, 2014
Voted for Armello. I'm a sucker for RPGs. Grow Home doesn't interest me and Zombie Vikings is... Zombie Vikings. I need no other reason not to like it. >_>

If I had to pick a second game though, it'd be Zombie Vikings. Grow Home just seems that uninteresting.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Voted for Grow Home. Zombie Vikings doesn't appeal to me at all and I can't tell what kind of game Armello is. The trailer, previews, and screenshots are all too confusing.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
LeathermanKick25 said:
One day PS4 users will get a decent selection of games for PS Plus. The console is nearly two years old now. There's no excuse to be hamfisting these shitty arcade games still.
Yeah! How dare they give indie devs exposure! Damn independent companies, how dare they sneak onto our consoles. BANISH them to the PC.

OT: I'm against voting ( for anything) i think it promotes false demoncracy.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I went for the zombie vikings.

I liked castle crashers and it looks like that. Amerillo (or whatever it's called) had the word "card" in it's description and I'm not into CCG of any kind. Grow home just looks like another indie that is trying to be more of a piece of art than a game, there have been enough of those fucking games!

Unfortunately, it looks like we will be getting grow home ... Another game to lump onto the pile of "I own but wont play for a second". Others in the pile include hohokum, the unfinished swan, entwined, futuridium, never alone, aaru's awakening etc

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Lufia Erim said:
LeathermanKick25 said:
One day PS4 users will get a decent selection of games for PS Plus. The console is nearly two years old now. There's no excuse to be hamfisting these shitty arcade games still.
Yeah! How dare they give indie devs exposure! Damn independent companies, how dare they sneak onto our consoles. BANISH them to the PC.
I wouldn't actually argue with this ... I think most indie stuff is crap. Games built around a singular gimmick, that go on for WAY too long, even though most of them are only 3 or 4 hours long.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Grow Home. Idea seems novel enough, and Ubi's smaller stuff is usually a lot more interesting than their big stuff.

For what it's worth, if you had to pick an order, it would've been Grow Home > Armello > Zombie Vikings.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
LeathermanKick25 said:
Lufia Erim said:
LeathermanKick25 said:

Indie doesn't automatically equate to good and 90% of the time it isn't even remotely good. Last month we got Limbo and that was a pretty good indie game. All the others that have been offered this year have been absolutely awful.
omega 616 said:
Lufia Erim said:
LeathermanKick25 said:
I wouldn't actually argue with this ... I think most indie stuff is crap. Games built around a singular gimmick, that go on for WAY too long, even though most of them are only 3 or 4 hours long.
Also this. Thank you kind Ser.
As for limbo, that game has been out long enough that if you wanted it, you've had PLENTY of chances to buy it for next to nothing. So, to give it away as a free game is a little "we couldn't find anything else to make up the numbers, so have this".

Nobody is still excited about limbo, people will still say it's good but the limelight has moved on ... much like journey, people still say it's good but it's not got the hype so much any more.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
LeathermanKick25 said:
omega 616 said:
LeathermanKick25 said:
Lufia Erim said:
LeathermanKick25 said:

Indie doesn't automatically equate to good and 90% of the time it isn't even remotely good. Last month we got Limbo and that was a pretty good indie game. All the others that have been offered this year have been absolutely awful.
omega 616 said:
Lufia Erim said:
LeathermanKick25 said:
Also this. Thank you kind Ser.
As for limbo, that game has been out long enough that if you wanted it, you've had PLENTY of chances to buy it for next to nothing. So, to give it away as a free game is a little "we couldn't find anything else to make up the numbers, so have this".

Nobody is still excited about limbo, people will still say it's good but the limelight has moved on ... much like journey, people still say it's good but it's not got the hype so much any more.
It was already a free game for PS3 users years ago. Much like how Tomb Raider was a free game, then a year later the PS4 version one.
It was? Jesus, this just makes it worse.

This is the first game I own 2 copies off and I never bought either of them!

Well there was this one time I bought Tai chi: wrath of the tiger but the guy put the disk in the book (for whatever reason). I obviously opened the case, saw no disk, took it back, got a disk and then on the way home read the book and found the other disk.

I know that was off topic but it was just a funny lil story.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
LeathermanKick25 said:
All the others that have been offered this year have been absolutely awful.
But... Styx. Styx is awesome!
I voted Grow Home. It has physics, and a jet pack, and climbing really high. I like games that come with a sense of physical freedom, and learning to control and play with physics that starts to feel like a new skill so you actually enjoy moving around. It also looks a bit like the old Jumping Flash.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Zombie vikings because with a name like Zombie Vikings I had to.

Lufia Erim said:
I'm not here to bash indie games, but on the PS3, we were getting major releases that weren't all that old and I mocked Microsoft for justifying their subscription service with games that were like 4-5. On the PS4, I'm noticing that most of the games aren't that big and wonder if they'd do the same as Microsoft if they had games going back 5 years.

Granted, I like indie titles, but when you get sort of a so-so selection of them and little else on your premium service....

omega 616 said:
It also ate up a Vita slot that month. I mean, nobody plays the Vita but me, so it was easy to miss, but still.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Something Amyss said:
Zombie vikings because with a name like Zombie Vikings I had to.

Lufia Erim said:
I'm not here to bash indie games, but on the PS3, we were getting major releases that weren't all that old and I mocked Microsoft for justifying their subscription service with games that were like 4-5. On the PS4, I'm noticing that most of the games aren't that big and wonder if they'd do the same as Microsoft if they had games going back 5 years.

Granted, I like indie titles, but when you get sort of a so-so selection of them and little else on your premium service....

omega 616 said:
It also ate up a Vita slot that month. I mean, nobody plays the Vita but me, so it was easy to miss, but still.
Fair enough. The playstation 4 isn't 2 years old yet. I think it's a little early to be expecting full AAA releases on a monthly basis though. People are still paying full price or close for a lot of games. I remember getting tomb raider and injustice as part of the Playstation plus program. At best we would be seeing the ps4 debut games make an appearance before anything
truly "good".

So yeah I'll settle for the indie games for now. I think it's understandable given how young this console generation is. Plus i get to discover some awsome games every once in while i would never have played.

Out of curiousity what were some of the first free games on the ps3? I ask because i bought a ps3 fairly late in its cycle .

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Kwak said:
LeathermanKick25 said:
All the others that have been offered this year have been absolutely awful.
But... Styx. Styx is awesome!
I voted Grow Home. It has physics, and a jet pack, and climbing really high. I like games that come with a sense of physical freedom, and learning to control and play with physics that starts to feel like a new skill so you actually enjoy moving around. It also looks a bit like the old Jumping Flash.
Am actually playing Styx right now. ...get away from my window!

Voted Grow Home also. Looks like a relaxing exploratory game that has positive reviews.
Zombie Vikings looked like a one-trick shetland pony that would fall flat as soon as I got over the fact that they are indeed vikings that are also zombies, which would be about the time I first read the title and saw the cover together.
What was the other game again? Eh, if it was a card game rendering cards then I probably tuned out.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lufia Erim said:
I think it's a little early to be expecting full AAA releases on a monthly basis though. People are still paying full price or close for a lot of games.
PS3 users had been getting games that were less than one year or even six months old, though. Less so now, actually. It seems to be less about the number of games or age of the system and more about how they can change their tune now that they're locking people in with mandatory Plus for online.

So yeah I'll settle for the indie games for now. I think it's understandable given how young this console generation is. Plus i get to discover some awsome games every once in while i would never have played.
You have to settle for indie games if you're already paying for online.

And I welcome the minor games I might not have played. I'm thinking about doing an LP series based on some smaller games I picked up through the + system.

There's a but coming.

Buuuuuuuuut, Forbes did an article recently on why Microsoft's announcement of backwards compatibility for the Xbone was a bad thing. This is on topic, bear with me for a second. See, this is the point in previous generations wherein a brand had already established itself. This should be the point where BC becomes less of a necessity, not more of it.

In short, and related to what you're saying, the dearth of games this generation points to another problem with said generation. This doesn't excuse the reliance on indie games so much as make the underlying practices much more suspect.
By the way, I think Forbes was absolutely right. It's unfortunate that I have to go to places like Forbes and the WSJ for actual game industry news and commentary, since these are things video game fans should very much be interested in.

Out of curiousity what were some of the first free games on the ps3? I ask because i bought a ps3 fairly late in its cycle .
You're comparing the launch of the service to the current scenario, which doesn't work. That's like comparing Origin at launch to Steam at Launch, despite now having multiple competing services and years of knowledge. Or, more appropriately, defending the length of modern video games because you can beat Super Mario Bros in under 30 minutes.