Poll: Pokemon Generations

Xenenon

Jun 2, 2012
My personal Favorite is the original games I love to play yellow on my GameBoy Advanced SP. Gold and Silver were fun just because you got to go Johto and Kanto Region. Emerald was a good game I definitely liked the legendaries in that game. Then when we got platinum it became my favorite one because at the end where you got to walk on walls in the different dimension was fun. Black was my favorite out of the next games, I liked the new pokemon centers and that was about it and I didn't play Black or White 2. Then last but not least I haven't got my hands on X or Y and I'm personally not looking forward too.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
X/Y are without a doubt the most complete, most polished and best Pokemon games ever released. It's just a pity the story was really lame.

I thought Gen V was the worst. The mechanics and style seemed to overstay their welcome by then. Then Black and White 2 came out and it was kind of like "really? again?"

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
Mechanically, 2 was pretty sound. it introduced hold items, breeding, happiness, day/night, physical days, 2 new types, rebalanced some types and whatever else. it probably helps that it was originally a sequel to Red/Blue, but changed during development after noticing how much of a cashcow it became in merchandizing.

3 was disappointing just for R/S, sure it added abilities, natures and double battles, but it also simplified days to the extent that it was only used for Berries (which is its own scrappy mechanic) and TV shows...which rarely shows the one you want, purely to patch holes in secret bases, the aftergame was near non-existent, but that was pretty much a given, which might be why Emerald gets a Battle Frontier...doesn't explain why they always never include it in base versions of every generation than just adding it every 3rd game.

If you look at HGSS, now that was pretty awesome, berries was pushed into Berry Pots, the Pokewalker was quirky for potentially powerful or simply novelty Pokemon (Kangaskhan is the former...for a starting route pokemon), only major issues being that they forced the Moss/Ice rock to be Sinnoh-only and even stuff like Mount Coronet's Magnetism, forcing players to evolve their Eevee/Magneton/Nosepass in DPPla, on the upside, they made Feebas a bit easier to evolve before ultimately making it a trade evolution in BW.

BW was easy, Audino was simple to grind on, and most of the Pokemon were favorable, most non-Unova Pokemon had small movesets, but that's because TMs are reusable, forcing some creativity, BW2 was....weird, gave up at Elesa, but the Passerby Mall is potentially overpowered with EV training, Level boosting, Happiness groomers and oddities like a grab bag at a antiques shop or Master Balls...

EDIT: ONE small thing i don't like about Gen 3 is that Gamefreak had TOO much to work with, the Sprites in Crystal was fluidly animated whereas R/S just stretched, distorted or had some color glow rotation, making the animations look atrocious. also the sound sets of gen 3 just gave them too much to work with, which apparently translates to HORNS. R/G was in development for over 6 years before it came out near before the Gameboy died, so gen 2 was pretty much their apex in the music department.

Gen 4 uses more real music, but they're normally distinct based on the area they're in. Gen 5 seems more cultural to an extent.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
3rd gen is the best at everything. Ruby was my first pokemon game and therefor I love every gen 3 pokemon. Except Spinda, fuck Spinda.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm torn between 1 & 2, but I'm ultimately swinging towards 2 because it pretty much contains the whole of game 1. So that's 2x1 in my book.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
The second generation really expanded on the first in every way, and even included the first games as end game content. You can't really ask more than that.

It helps that I like that generation of pokemon the best as well.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
To me it's either Gold/ Silver or Diamond/ Pearl. To this date (not even X and Y brought back this feature) only Gold and Silver is the only game that allow you to revisit the past continment (Kanto) after you beat the Elite 4. Not only it's just a revisit but the place got updated too!
On the other hand I had invested alot of time in Diamond/ Pearl, far more then any other Pokemon games and that version by far had alot of Pokemons I liked (Garchomp, Infernape, Luixray etc) but again I have been liking X and Y Pokemons too.

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
For me X and Y are the best, then Gold and Silver, then Red, then Ruby, Black and lastly diamond.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I personally thought gen 5 was the best of the series.

The aesthetic designs of the Pokemon were among my top favorite.

My all time favorites would have to be Chandelure, Deino, Reuniclus, and Fraxure. (Druddigon somehow crept up to my favorites list)

They ironed out a lot of things from the previous generation.
I especially like the implementation of rotation and triple battles.

It was practically metagame heaven for a lot of competitive fans.
The soundtrack was pretty great too.

I wish X and Y kept that final Pokemon Gym battle theme that was so memorable in the game.

Generation 4 felt very bland in terms of Pokemon discovery. Which probably had a lot to do with the fact that a good chunk of the new Pokemon were simply evolved states of previous Pokemon.

Honestly, that's probably why Generation 6, as much fun as it is, is on my second least favorite of the Pokemon generations.

Then again at least with Diamond and Pearl it felt fresh finding older Pokemon again, because prior to the SS HG remakes there was no way to get many generation 2 Pokemon at all. Not only that, but the evolutions were just that. Evolutions.

With generation 6 at this point the low number of new Pokemon shows heavily. 69 seems like a lot still. But when put into execution, it is a very low number. Very very low. By the end of the main story I literally asked myself "That's it? Surely there is a little bit more?" Nope. That was it. That was all of them.

Mega Evolutions are fine and all, but I think they should of gone Diamond and Pearl with some of them and just make them actual evolutions. Especially for Pokemon like Mawile who desperately need an evolution to so much as be useful in meta game.
Now I wonder how are they going to implement Mega Evolutions in the new game. In the games it was claimed to be a well guarded secret in the Kalos region. You and only a few others can even use this ability at all.
It would surprise me if they broke that lore and just allowed that in another region.
Which could mean that many of the Pokemon that greatly benefited from such a mechanic will once again be totally useless the moment the next generation rolls around.
I honestly wonder if they really thought this aspect of Mega evolutions thoroughly.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
I have only played red blue and yellow, so my opinion I clearly gen 1 is the best, I would like to have a go but as it has been so many different generations since, is it worth my time to jump back into it with x/y?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Honestly, as someone who's been there since Gen 1, I think Gen 6 is my favourite. I'm not sure what it is specifically about it either, I think it just feels the most complete overall.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Screw the polls!
Pokemon Colosseum and Gale of Darkness were the best pokemon games ever!

That said, I had over 600 hours on pokemon Blue.
Had a lot of fun with SoulSilver last year aswell.
I'm gonna call that the second gen even though I never really played the original second gen.

So that's my poll answer.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Gen V, I liked the story in B/W and B2/W2, It gave me Archeops, Hydreigon, as well as Zoroark. It gave new life to pokemon I already loved like Alakazam, Espeon, and Sabeleye with dream world abilities. and it was based (In Part) on 'Merica.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Gen V for me, after all the crazy defending I've been doing of it on the forums recently, that shouldn't be a surprise.

It gave me my absolute favorite Pokemon Reshiram, along with other favorites like Samurott, Serperior, Meloetta, Volcarona, Galvanula, Haxorus, Chaldelure, Zekrom, Kyurem, Hydreigon, Kyurem, and so much more. Despite all the complaits about the 5th gen Pokemon from many others, they are my favorite bunch.

It had the most engaging story for me. I liked the idea that the player wasn't the only chosen hero in the game, and you had to have an epic showdown with N and Ghetsis in Black and White. Black and White 2's story felt engaging too, but not quite on the level as the first one.

Let's not forget the great post game content the gen 5 games have. Loads of things to do, non Unovan Pokemon to catch, legendaries to catch, side quests to do etc. As much as I love X and Y, the post game is pretty disappointing compared the the fifth gen games. Unova felt big, and there was almost a third of the map unexplored till after the main storyline. I enjoyed the region's locations, and towns a lot more than previous regions.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Dragonbums said:
Now I wonder how are they going to implement Mega Evolutions in the new game. In the games it was claimed to be a well guarded secret in the Kalos region. You and only a few others can even use this ability at all.
It would surprise me if they broke that lore and just allowed that in another region.
Which could mean that many of the Pokemon that greatly benefited from such a mechanic will once again be totally useless the moment the next generation rolls around.
I honestly wonder if they really thought this aspect of Mega evolutions thoroughly.
I could've sworn Gamefreak said that this would be the only generation to have mega evolutions. Now this was a while back, and they could easily change their tune when it comes to making the next game. Honestly, I don't really find megalutions very interesting anyway, if they don't come back, I won't be disappointed about it.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
Gen V was my absolute favorite, because honestly, all the original Pokemon never really did it for me, especially the johto ones. Then out of nowhere we have Lilligant, Whimsicott, Darmanitan, Krookodile, and Volcarona? Yes please. Which makes me all the more depressed that almost NONE of the gen V Pokemon seem to be in X/Y. I'm serious go look practically none of them make an appearance and that is lame as lame can be. I was looking forward to bringing back my Whimsicott wall.

Gen V also had the best attempts at a real story, which I think worked, and N was dreamy (WAY BETTER THAN SYCAMORE). Plus you could dress up and ride a Ferris wheel and in 2 you could constantly call that other cute guy with green hair and make him blussshhhh. It just felt like the most real game to date for me. A game where you could really be lost in the world, instead of arbitrarily trying to complete it by catching everything in sight. I never even felt any particular need to battle a gym leader in those games. I only did it to unlock more fancy places to go. Places that had their own backstories, where the people knew each other, and it was wonderful.

Gen III was nice too, and my previous favorite mostly because I finished it 100% and Blaziken is a baller.

I can't even remember I, II is hilariously overrated and I really cannot even bring myself to finish it, and IV just kind of lacked something for me, though the snowyness in platinum was neato.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Well, I've only played pokemon XY so... XY. I was in college when the first one came out and it looked a bit too 'kiddie' for me at the time. I only got into it because I have two foster children who got X and Y for their Birthdays (which are 3 days apart) so my wife and I went and got 3DS's and a copy of each so we can play with them. Now we're a poke family (I have Y by the way)

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
A little early. I don't believe all the fans have finished X or Y yet. No, I'm not one.

For me it's between generation 2 & 3. Honestly, I never found the combat interesting in the Pokémon games (unless you count Smash Brothers). I just liked the music and the designs, and most of my favourite songs and Pokémon designs were in those 2 generations I remember.

I have to say that I find X & Y look... ugly. I don't like the design of it at all. Something with the softness, drab colouring, character designs and some of the animations really put me off. I suspect someone will go on about how it's more detailed and what not, but the more you put in, the more that needs to be looked after.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Gen 2 will always be my favourite for blowing my mind back in the day (for all the things they added, not to mention having 2 regions to explore and feeling like a genuinely connected sequel), but Gen 6 is definitely shaping up to be quite good. Depending on how this goes (I'm very early in the game), it could be a tie.

(everything else is mostly even from then on with a huge gap between liking Gen 2/6 and the other)

Gen 5: I guess is a second placer for Plasma (I can't ignore Team PETA. I can't, and I love it lol) and being so bloody massive with lots of post-game stuff to do. Like Black/White 2 too for being more than just a better version of the previous games. There's some actual progression to the plot, like what I loved about Gen 2.

Gen 4: Introduced global trading and battling, which changes bloody everything. Still good, but feels a bit like a plainer Gen 5. Introduced some Pokemon I like too (love my Weaviles). Plot and legendaries were pretty neat though (not so much Palkia and Dialga and more Shaymin, Darkrai, Giratina, etc), especially in Platinum.

Gen 1: Always will have a special place in my heart, but has not aged well visually and in the mechanics. Simple is great, but it's hard to go back to it after given breeding/sexes, natures, new types, and other things that smoothed out gameplay.

Gen 3: Too short, no day/night cycle, and few post-game things to do. Emerald fixed much of that, but I was just frustrated in Sapphire.

These do not include any spin-offs and remakes. Fire Red/Leaf Green and HeartGold/SoulSilver were brilliant, but I hesitate to represent them for a generation.