Poll: Pokemon: How do you train your 'mons?

Gormech

May 10, 2012
Level 100 5 of them with a wide variety of elemental affinities, and one newbie with a share-exp item to get working. Continue till I have the ability to swap them to match my opponent's weaknesses.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
I just realised, I'm at the elite four, and here is my kickass team for Pokemon Saphire. I'm not going to grind after at least attempting to fight them once.

All 6 of my pokemon are the absolute best ones you can get in the game. These gems are:

Sableye lv42
Masquerain lv42
Nosepass lv40
Chimecho lv42
Spinda lv42
Luvdisc (My ace in the hole) Lv42

Oh yea, I'm gonna kick the E4's ass.

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
sextus the crazy said:
TheKasp said:
Just get an Excadrill. Excadrill can steamroll every gym starting with Elesa, three of the four Elite 4, the champion, N (Excadrill [lvl 50 at the time] onehitted Zekrom in my playthrough) and Ghestis. EQ, Rockslide and Swordsdance + the basic resitances through typing make this Poke just so OP during the storymode.
And that's why it's banned from standard in the Metagame. Excadrill's the most powerful non-legendary to be released since Garchomp.
Even Garchomp is nothing compared to Excadrill, Excadrill is firmly set in the ubers while Garchomp is being tested in OU.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
I always keep 6 on me. I typically pick Pokemon that can simply 1-shot every time and are always fast enough to get first move, makes things kinda boring honestly.

ManimalR

Jan 3, 2011
knight of some random number said:
I try my best to even the levels out, but this becomes difficult when some Pokemon level slower or faster than others.

When I start the game, I let my starter take out a few wild Pokemon, and I fight every trainer I see, it makes a world of difference. Never could understand why people would avoid them. (Unless their Pokemon were to injured to battle.)

I've started a new game on Leaf Green going with Bulbasaur this time.

So far I have a.

Level 24: Ivysaur.

Level 23: Nidorino. I have a moon stone to evolve it, I'm just not sure when I should.

Level 20: Kadabra.

I'm planning on using an Arcanine and a Dragonite which could also serve as my flyer.

I need a water type, I'm not using Gyarados and I used a Starmie during my Charizard run through of the game. (I have this rule where I never use the same Pokemon twice the teams are always different.)

Would a Lapras or Slowbro be worth raising? Personally I prefer Water types which a high special attack as opposed to ones with a high physical attack.
Try a Seadra, a Golduck, a Vaporeon, or a Seaking. And why not a Gyarados?, they're awesome.

As for the nidorino, wait until your Ivysaur evolves (lvl 36ish)

Roroshi14

Dec 3, 2009
I usually just raise three till I beat the game, then move on to different parties ending up with like 3 full teams.

I find leveling two levels at a time then switch is just the right amount of time to get to know your strengths and strategies. Always gotta get two Dragonites each with different moves, and Arcanine.

Legendairy314

Aug 26, 2010
Generally I'll take my starter and keep that until the end. I'll catch pokemon that I'll need for HMs and swap those out when I find a better one that can also use the same HM.

I used to have 1 uber with 5 HM slaves but that eventually got boring. And wrecking Red with one Feraligatr isn't very rewarding.

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
ManimalR said:
I try my best to even the levels out, but this becomes difficult when some Pokemon level slower or faster than others.

When I start the game, I let my starter take out a few wild Pokemon, and I fight every trainer I see, it makes a world of difference. Never could understand why people would avoid them. (Unless their Pokemon were to injured to battle.)

I've started a new game on Leaf Green going with Bulbasaur this time.

So far I have a.

Level 24: Ivysaur.

Level 23: Nidorino. I have a moon stone to evolve it, I'm just not sure when I should.

Level 20: Kadabra.

I'm planning on using an Arcanine and a Dragonite which could also serve as my flyer.

I need a water type, I'm not using Gyarados and I used a Starmie during my Charizard run through of the game. (I have this rule where I never use the same Pokemon twice the teams are always different.)

Would a Lapras or Slowbro be worth raising? Personally I prefer Water types which a high special attack as opposed to ones with a high physical attack.
Try a Seadra, a Golduck, a Vaporeon, or a Seaking. And why not a Gyarados?, they're awesome.

As for the nidorino, wait until your Ivysaur evolves (lvl 36ish)
Ivysaur evolves at level 32 I believe but I like the sound of Golduck. As for why I don't want to use Gyarados, well whilst I respect Gyarados and his battle capabilities, I want to try something different. Gyarados is a bit overused.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Alade said:
sextus the crazy said:
TheKasp said:
Just get an Excadrill. Excadrill can steamroll every gym starting with Elesa, three of the four Elite 4, the champion, N (Excadrill [lvl 50 at the time] onehitted Zekrom in my playthrough) and Ghestis. EQ, Rockslide and Swordsdance + the basic resitances through typing make this Poke just so OP during the storymode.
And that's why it's banned from standard in the Metagame. Excadrill's the most powerful non-legendary to be released since Garchomp.
Even Garchomp is nothing compared to Excadrill, Excadrill is firmly set in the ubers while Garchomp is being tested in OU.
Garchomp's been in Ubers for a while.

Ivysaur evolves at level 32 I believe but I like the sound of Golduck. As for why I don't want to use Gyarados, well whilst I respect Gyarados and his battle capabilities, I want to try something different. Gyarados is a bit overused.
Also, Gyarados' special attack is pretty bad and most of his moveset is water moves. Honestly Lapras would be better (as it gets thunderbolt and ice beam, as well as surf, and can used them well).

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
Back when I first got into Pokemon (my first game was Diamond version, despite the fact that i'm now 21) I didn't get the concept of levelling a full team of 6, I just focused all the experience of my Infernape so that by the time I got to the elite four he was in the 80's (still got his monkey ass handed to him by Garchomps earthquake mind) and just allowed the space fillers (usually starly, shinx and buizel) to take excess experience in double battles.

But since I started playing the games properly, at least in the main story I keep my team evenly levelled and try to focus on training new members as much as I can until they catch up with the rest.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
-I only fight battles I can't flee from.

-I only use my starter pokemon through the whole game.

-All my other pokemon are just a free turn to revive my starter.

-If I'm not leveled up enough to beat the game without grinding, I quit and never touch the game again.

I should be in Smogon University.