Poll: Police State USA: Boston Area Raids

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
erttheking said:
You know, a lot of people from Boston are praising the way in which the police acted.

And as someone who lives in America, no it is not an Orwellian state, thank you very much.
GWAH PFFFFFFFFFFFFF
PSHAW
That's just the Orwellian nightmare convincing you otherwise you rabid American scum! WAKE UP SHEEPLE, WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

OH SHIT THE SHEEPLE

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Product Placement said:
Finally, the idea of charging the guy with using weapons of mass destruction (which I've always associated with Nuclear weaponry or of similar scale) is also a bit odd in my books.
The legal definition of a WMD is not the same as the popular definition created by the media. I know I was pretty confused at that charge as well; then I ran across this Wired article, http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/04/tsarnaev-charged/ .

OT: A smidge heavy handed? Yeah, but not exactly what I would call an "Orwellian nightmare". No what I think was far more terrifying was the veritable angry mob that rose from the darkened depths of the internet to harass anyone that was unfortunate enough to be caught in the crossfire of misinformation. If anything it looked like a brief recreation of a Salem witch hunt. I am less afraid of an overzealous police force than I am of a frenzied mob of misinformed citizens condemning people as guilty until proven innocent.

I pity the poor bastard if his case goes to a jury trial. We the people have already judged him guilty, all that's left is crucifying him in the media for public entertainment.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
McMullen said:
Milanezi said:
it's a public threat, all privacy goes to ground, that's what I believe in, even when the law says otherwise...
I think that sentiment right there is more corrosive to freedom than any act of terrorism can ever be. Terrorists can't destroy our freedom unless we help them, and that attitude is what's going to make it happen.
I remember why I stopped coming to these forums now.
Strange that you would pick my post in particular to say that about. I'm not even calling Police State or brutality. I'm merely noting that our country is at its worst when we decide that safety is more important than freedom and fairness. The Alien and Sedition act, the internment of Japanese Americans, the House Un-American Activities Committee, and the McCarthy Trials are all examples of this.

I think that we can be truer to our ideals by not abandoning freedom at the first sign of trouble. There are far greater threats to life in this country than terrorism, and I don't think it says anything good about us if we say our values are expendable when we're afraid, especially if what we fear is things like this. Terrorists will have to work a lot harder just to catch up with the murder rate in this country, let alone all the other things we shouldn't be dying from.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
I don't care if there was a platoon fully armed men wanting to search my house, if they don't have a warrant, they do not see set foot inside.

sammysoso

Jul 6, 2012
If there was a cop-killer (possibly armed and in possession of BOMBS) running around my city, yea I'd let the police do their work.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Huh. The OP is the same guy who posted the thread about strategies for taking down predator drones, and talked about how in "ten years or so," police will be using them to attack targets in the US. (Here)

I think you're more than a little paranoid, and that the title of this thread is more than a little sensationalist.

I'm completely in support of the right to refuse search without a warrant, but if somebody doesn't refuse it, the cops aren't doing anything illegal. And if there was illegal searching done, than the victims will bring charges against the appropriate people.

So no, it is not in any way indicative of a police state.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Well to make this easy for all of you afraid of the cops seeing your drugs in the house when they search due to an actual legal reason.

a: put them in a closed space that is too small for a person to hide in.
b: make sure the container is not see through
c: now if the police are looking for a danger to the people or one of the reasons they can search your house for an armed person you have an argument in court that they had no right to search the area you had your stash as it could not have held a threat to the community or the officers

I really wish I lived in this America that everyone keeps saying existed in the good old days.

Lionsfan said:
Ssshhhh.....don't you guys realize this is supposed to be an overreaction thread? We don't need no facts, or logic up in here, just make wildly inaccurate claims about the US and how it's probably the worse place to live in the world because we have secret police knocking on our doors at night and shooting people without fear of punishment
You may have a point, may I see you in the killing room?

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
You know it's nice being able to look back and call the police dumb for not looking right where the guy was hiding.
"Hey, we know there's a terrorist hiding in the area, mind if we make sure he's not in your crawl space?" seems to be a pretty reasonable request. If there wasn't a bombing a couple days before and they said something like that, I'd tell them to go away.

It's always interesting to see how some people react to news most people wouldn't bat an eye at. Reminds me of the time someone in one of my college classes said that Europe was a mock-democracy with secret police just because some Eruopean countries outlawed anti-semmetic hate speech.

EDIT:
On a side, it doesn't matter what the police see in your house. I'm pretty sure they can't do shit. Anything they find is evidence they gathered without a warrant or reasonable suspicion on you making it useless in court.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
TheDrunkNinja said:
ZeroMachine said:
The sad thing is, even though this is probably the most intelligent and fact driven post in the entire thread, my own posts included, it'll probably fall on deaf ears.

A valiant attempt, though, my friend.
The people posting do seem to have little scope of the actual situation. I'm surprised at the preference to ignore all the points you've brought up as one who was closer to the event than anyone else here.

I think what grates me the most is the egregious use of the term "police state". Seriously what the hell?
I know, I've never seen such outright ignorance on this forum. And that says a SHIT load.

Compatriot Block said:
Huh. The OP is the same guy who posted the thread about strategies for taking down predator drones, and talked about how in "ten years or so," police will be using them to attack targets in the US. (Here)

I think you're more than a little paranoid, and that the title of this thread is more than a little sensationalist.

I'm completely in support of the right to refuse search without a warrant, but if somebody doesn't refuse it, the cops aren't doing anything illegal. And if there was illegal searching done, than the victims will bring charges against the appropriate people.

Wait, fuck, it's that guy?

Paranoia, OP. Look it up. See a therapist.

Now, to all the people in this thread claiming "police state", "violation of rights", "no warrant no entry", I'm going to say one last thing and then once again I'll fade away into obscurity because oh my shit within three threads I joined I'm already pissed off by the outright ignorance of the Escapist yet again.

First, and let me make this easy for all to read:

WE, THE CITIZENS OF BOSTON/THE BOSTON AREA, FULLY SUPPORTED EVERYTHING OUR POLICE FORCES DID TO FIND THE BOMBERS.

Second, there was a citywide warrant issue to Watertown, making your "NO WARRANT" argument completely and utterly wrong and moot.

Third, police were giving supplies to families that were stuck in their homes for the duration of the manhunt. Funny how many people selectively ignore that.

Fourth, and I really can't state this enough:

STOP ACTING LIKE YOU UNDERSTAND THE EXACTS OF A SITUATION WITHOUT DOING YOUR GOD DAMNED RESEARCH AND LISTENING TO THE PEOPLE THAT WERE THERE. WE DON'T FEEL LIKE OUR RIGHTS WERE VIOLATED. WE DON'T FEEL THAT WE LIVED IN A POLICE STATE. WE WANTED THOSE BASTARDS CAUGHT. SO JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE THAT WERE THERE. YOU ARE NOT A BEACON OF FREEDOM. YOU ARE NOT AN ENLIGHTENED MIND SPEAKING TO SHEEPLE. YOU ARE NOT AN EXPERT ON ALL THINGS CIVIL RIGHTS. YOU ARE A RANDOM PERSON ON A FORUM. STOP BEING AN IGNORANT ASS.

THE END

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Compatriot Block said:

Now, to all the people in this thread claiming "police state", "violation of rights", "no warrant no entry", I'm going to say one last thing and then once again I'll fade away into obscurity because oh my shit within three threads I joined I'm already pissed off by the outright ignorance of the Escapist yet again.

WE, THE CITIZENS OF BOSTON/THE BOSTON AREA, FULLY SUPPORTED EVERYTHING OUR POLICE FORCES DID TO FIND THE BOMBERS.

Second, there was a citywide warrant issue to Watertown, making your "NO WARRANT" argument completely and utterly wrong and moot.

Third, police were giving supplies to families that were stuck in their homes for the duration of the manhunt. Funny how many people selectively ignore that.

STOP ACTING LIKE YOU UNDERSTAND THE EXACTS OF A SITUATION WITHOUT DOING YOUR GOD DAMNED RESEARCH AND LISTENING TO THE PEOPLE THAT WERE THERE. WE DON'T FEEL LIKE OUR RIGHTS WERE VIOLATED. WE DON'T FEEL THAT WE LIVED IN A POLICE STATE. WE WANTED THOSE BASTARDS CAUGHT. SO JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE THAT WERE THERE. YOU ARE NOT A BEACON OF FREEDOM. YOU ARE NOT AN ENLIGHTENED MIND SPEAKING TO SHEEPLE. YOU ARE NOT AN EXPERT ON ALL THINGS CIVIL RIGHTS. YOU ARE A RANDOM PERSON ON A FORUM. STOP BEING AN IGNORANT ASS.

THE END
Just wanted to second this.

... Yeah, that's all I got. Nothing more to add. Just thought it was important enough to bare a repeat in posting.

Seriously guys, the more you know, deal with the real, the power is yours, and of course...

I'm done. Make up your own minds of who to listen to. You're all bright, young whippersnappers. You can figure it out.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Well it's nice to know you speak for the entire city of Boston, and that you fully support a police action which shut down a city, disrupting a million people, to find one guy who wasn't even in the area they were searching. Also, there is no such thing as a city wide warrant. When a judge signs off on a warrant, it must include a description of the specific place to be searched and the specific item(s) sought. I don't think you can just fill one out and put "Boston" and "Some guy..."

The fact is the governor asked the metro area to stay inside, the police asked to search houses, and for the most part people rolled over on command. It's not really necessary to declare martial law and go breaking down doors when people are so docile. Makes it look a lot less evil, but it is still the wrong thing to do. I don't think you realize this is a very disturbing precedent to set. So you go ahead and be angry and toss the word ignorant around like a football during practice. I hope someday you'll realize that what makes this country great is the principles it was founded on.

Liberty is not something to be taken lightly or brushed aside without a second thought because there might be a bad guy out there somewhere.

One of Many

Feb 3, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
ZeroMachine said:
The sad thing is, even though this is probably the most intelligent and fact driven post in the entire thread, my own posts included, it'll probably fall on deaf ears.

A valiant attempt, though, my friend.
The people posting do seem to have little scope of the actual situation. I'm surprised at the preference to ignore all the points you've brought up as one who was closer to the event than anyone else here.

I think what grates me the most is the egregious use of the term "police state". Seriously what the hell?
I know, I've never seen such outright ignorance on this forum. And that says a SHIT load.

Compatriot Block said:

THE END
Hear, hear!

As a New Englander with family in the Boston area, not only did I support the manhunt to find these bastards but my relations on scene did too. This bull about the USA being a police state are nothing more then paranoid delusions the OP is fooling him or herself with.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
wombat_of_war said:
he is? ah explains alot then. OP i hear tin foil hats will clear that drone worry issue right up for you
The problem with tin foil hats is that they actually increase the intensity of brain signals to the outside world http://www.howtogeek.com/114037/researchers-prove-tin-foil-hats-boost-receptivity-to-government-signals/

Edit: I also think this is appropriate
http://blogs.wickedlocal.com/brookline/files/2013/04/BrooklinePoliceWithMilk_20131.jpg

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
If they asked politely -(in that given the circumstances, it was an actual question. "Please" would be optional), but if they were rude and just barged in, I would tell them GTFO. Would I be concerned about being arrested? No. Would I be concerned about receiving a police beating? No. I would be concerned how I'd be spending the money from from the king sized lawsuit I'd level against them.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
Product Placement said:
Finally, the idea of charging the guy with using weapons of mass destruction (which I've always associated with Nuclear weaponry or of similar scale) is also a bit odd in my books.
The legal definition of a WMD is not the same as the popular definition created by the media. I know I was pretty confused at that charge as well; then I ran across this Wired article, http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/04/tsarnaev-charged/ .
It's not only popularized by the media. Politicians have been referring to mass scale destructive weapons like nuclear and chemical weapons as WMD, as well. Hell, Bush's solitary justification for going to war with Iraq was to deny Saddam from owning WMD's. I'm pretty sure that nobody was thinking about hand grenades, at the time.

Historically, the english language has always been contolled by the definition that the public give to the word. In most cases, the popular definition IS the legal definition.

Just my two cents and I'll shut up about it now.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Well yeah, if there was a criminal suspected to be hiding in my house while I wasn't there, I'd let the police have a look around. Doesn't mean they can't be quick and efficient about it and not cordon off the place.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Here's the thing, the last time they'd seen him before catching him there was a shootout, he was a bomber, it's entirely plausible that he'd planted more or had broken into a house and taken hostages.

As cool and edgy as it is to pretend that the police are morally corrupt thugs with a hero complex when you're whole city is locked down because a fleeing potentially armed murderer is running for his life it's generally a good idea to let the people trying to catch him actually look for him.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Gottesstrafe said:
Aramis Night said:
Ryotknife said:
Fappy said:
Aramis Night said:
Fappy said:
Aramis Night said:
Fappy said:
After watching the video I just realized something. What about the people who had indoor cats? I would be terrified one of those assholes would leave a door open or something and let them out :/
We'll considering how often police seem to like killing family pets during raids, i'd consider myself fortunate if my cat was simply let out. Many police seem to consider it within their rights to kill any dogs that might be on the premises during a raid, even if the owners have them on a leash or are holding onto them. They get away with this all the time.

I know if that happened to me, i would be dead shortly after. So for me, raid=death. You may claim that my priorities are a bit off, but i put a lot of personal value in my pets. I would feel obligated to do as much harm to my pets killer as i can manage regardless of consequence. If my death made the next cop think twice about needlessly killing some kids pet as a sadistic power play, i would consider it worth the sacrifice.
How often does that really happen though? I know it's a TV trope, but I can't say I have ever seen a news report where this has actually happened.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdip3ypW6Kk
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26079096/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/police-raid-md-mayors-home-kill-his-dogs/#.UXrN-7WG0rY
http://stopthedrugwar.org/speakeasy/2010/jun/21/police_kill_grandmothers_dog_bot
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/police_raid_wrong_house_kill_couples_dog/
http://www.naturalnews.com/036698_police_raid_family_dog_victims.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/19/police-kill-chicago-mans-_n_931279.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/27/cop-shoots-dog-puppycide_n_1446841.html

An excerpt from the last link in case you don't get that far:
" But Paxton isn't the first dog owner whose pet has been shot to death by police. A search of news articles from the past year shows more than 100 separate incidents."

You should definitely check out the last link. It frames the issue rather well. The first link will probably offend you to your core assuming you have a soul.
Jeez, that's some heavy stuff. I'm really glad the first video didn't actually show the dog... that would not have been a nice thing to see :(
I have a feeling that the whole "kill the dog" policy is due with the stories ive been hearing a lot lately of drug dealers training dogs to attack police so that when they raid his home he can use his dog as a distraction while he runs away.

Which is a really scummy thing to do, but hey, drug dealers.
It is not an appropriate justification for killing a dog. Subduing a dog isn't difficult for a single grown man with no weapons. We have tranquilizers. In light of that i'm having a hard time seeing how we justify cops having non-tranquilizer guns at all.
1. Against humans, tranquilizers require an estimation of weight. It would be impractical to carry, as you would usually not have time to accurately estimate weight, and you would have to carry several different dosages to adjust for different weights. Too little a dosage would have little to no effect, too high a dosage could cause respiratory collapse and kill people, and in some cases the tranquilizing agent can induce rage and make apprehension all the more difficult.

2. Nobody is going to be intimidated into surrendering by tranquilizer guns.

3. Tranquilizer darts lack stopping power and require time to take effect. They're also either bolt or break action, making them even more impractical in a firefight.

4. Tranquilizer guns (pistols and rifles) have lower effective ranges compared to their more lethal counterparts, not to mention that tranquilizer darts aren't very aerodynamic to begin with.

Aramis Night said:
Subduing a dog isn't difficult for a single grown man with no weapons.
Going to need a citation on that. I've seen plenty of photos of people with their faces mauled off by pit bull terriers, but not many of people effortlessly subduing one empty handed, especially one bearing down on them rapidly. Unless of course you're suggesting that every officer be issued a standard-issue pets-only tranquilizer gun on the off-chance that any building they storm happens to include domesticated animals, in which case I'll just reaffirm the impracticality of it. A paintball gun loaded with CS pellets would probably be more effective and flexible, something that's already in their arsenal.

Call me speciesist, but I'd rather read in the morning paper that a drug dealer's attack dog was killed during an arrest than an officer or civilian was horribly maimed/killed because the officers on the scene were terrified of animal abuse allegations being leveled against them.
Silly me. Here i was thinking that police were supposed to be apprehending criminals, not killing them outright. It is true that tranquilizers run the risk of not being effective vs weight class, but if your using a gun on a person small enough to easily subdue physically, than your doing it wrong. Concerning yourself with possibly OD'ing a perp, doesn't make much sense when your comparing it to a weapon that is specifically designed to kill people. The point of police is to get criminal's into a court of law for their crimes, not dispense street justice.

As for intimidation, I don't know too many people who are all that crazy about getting injection's the normal way. Fear of needles is pretty common, let alone fear of them being fired at you at high velocity. That and it would remove the whole romantic notion that some people have about going out in a blaze of glory vs. the cops if it would still end with them in a cage facing trial as opposed to dead and with no further concerns. People fear life in prison far more in most cases.

Most firefights dont take place over long ranges anyway. They are more likely to happen in tight spaces and short ranges. Police are not engaging in battlefield war time fighting. It is not as though i'm advocating for only the use of tranquilizer darts, just replacing the guns with them. They still have many other non-lethal weapon's at their disposal. we have tasers, stun guns, gas, batons. With all these options there is no good reason for guns to be a part of the arsenal.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
xDarc said:
Liberty is not something to be taken lightly or brushed aside without a second thought because there might be a bad guy out there somewhere.
It must be nice to live in a fantasy world capable of sustaining these delusions. In reality liberty will always lose out to security, or even a loaf of bread if times are dire enough. As for America being a police state, were it furnished with a people's militia with teeth the attacks would never have happened.