Poll: Poll: BioWare or Bethesda?

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Bethesda. For several reasons.

1. I've been playing Bethesda's games since 2002 with Morrowind and one thing that I love doing in any RPG I play is looting. Second to that is Bartering. Very few, if any, of Bioware's games let you do this, or have a system set up for haggling.

2. World Fluff - Bethesda, whether it's with The Elder Scrolls or Fallout, always makes worlds that are packed with narrative in books and history. Bioware, while good with characters, dialogue and delivery of such, doesn't do much of that, so I can't get as attached to the world they build.

3. Atmosphere - My first time playing Morrowind as a Thief/Merchant felt much more immersive than my first time in Jade Empire speaking with spirits or stopping bandits. Even when I was playing Mass Effect, I couldn't get very attached to the world since not much was going on with it. Open world games feel that way to me more so than linear or semi-open ones.

4. Value - It's a real world factor, I know, but Bethesda's RPGs have more to do in terms of gameplay than those from Bioware. As such, if I have to pick between a fantasy RPG from either of them, chances are Bethesda's games will allow me to do more and get more playtime from the amount of money I spend.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
josephmatthew10 said:
Some other thoughts:

I've noticed both companies have interesting experiences with Obsidian; Obsidian made the 2nd KOTOR and developed F:NV. Obsidian often seems to do a great job continuing in the spirit of the previous company... ALMOST. many people believe F;NV was too closed-in compared to F3. Many people (like me) believe KOTOR 2 was pretty great until LucasArts pushed it out 6 months early and then Obsidian shit the bed, ripping out too much and ruining the ending (not to mention they made the big villain a pussy compared to his reputation.)

Just throwin' that out there.
I just bought Fallout: New Vegas and I've been playing it for about 20 hours so far.

It has definitely added to the world exploration with a more diplomatic and speech oriented aspect of the game, which I like to see. I'll have to play more to form a solid opinion, but so far, I haven't seen one bug and I'm very satisfied with what Obsidian made here.

(XBOX 360 version. Vanilla/No patches.)

josephmatthew10

Jun 24, 2010
I just remembered something: BioWare HAS pulled off the massive, sprawling sandbox world while keeping excellent characterization and storytelling; Dragon Age: Origins.

Mr Godfrey

Jul 31, 2009
rockyoumonkeys said:
Mr Godfrey said:
rockyoumonkeys said:
Eh...both are great, but Bethesda loses points for having their name attached to the abomination known as Fallout New Vegas. I know they didn't develop it, but they still published it.

Bioware's games are great, but I think I still enjoyed getting lost in the worlds of Oblivion and Fallout 3 enough to even the scales.
Fallout New Vegas wasn't bad. A few glitch issues (which were pretty overplayed in my opinion), but still a good game.
No. Sorry. You can't tell me that the countless freezes and sound problems that I experienced were "a few glitch issues which were pretty overplayed." They made the game unplayable. Maybe you were lucky. Maybe I wasn't. But for me, the game froze constantly, far far worse than any other game I've ever played. That's not "a few glitch issues", that's a thoroughly broken game.
I guess I was lucky. I thought people were just being bitchy.

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
Mr Godfrey said:
rockyoumonkeys said:
Mr Godfrey said:
rockyoumonkeys said:
Eh...both are great, but Bethesda loses points for having their name attached to the abomination known as Fallout New Vegas. I know they didn't develop it, but they still published it.

Bioware's games are great, but I think I still enjoyed getting lost in the worlds of Oblivion and Fallout 3 enough to even the scales.
Fallout New Vegas wasn't bad. A few glitch issues (which were pretty overplayed in my opinion), but still a good game.
No. Sorry. You can't tell me that the countless freezes and sound problems that I experienced were "a few glitch issues which were pretty overplayed." They made the game unplayable. Maybe you were lucky. Maybe I wasn't. But for me, the game froze constantly, far far worse than any other game I've ever played. That's not "a few glitch issues", that's a thoroughly broken game.
I guess I was lucky. I thought people were just being bitchy.
Yeah, I understand. A lot of times people will ***** about a game and it'll largely be nitpicky and unreasonable.

But New Vegas truly was the most profoundly broken game I've ever played in my life. Hell, even I thought people were exaggerating about the problems before I encountered them myself.