Poll: Poll: Does life suck?

Ziggy the wolf

May 26, 2009
the world sucks and i thought about killing myself but there are a few things in this world
Friendship is magic
the GOOD sonic games
this website
That guy with the glasses
video games and knowing that sooner or later everyone pays for their stupid

skywalkerlion

Jun 21, 2009
I feel depressed because my dog and best friend died today a year ago (this very hour). I still don't think life is miserable. It only goes to show that you need to value what you have before it's taken away. Life is good except for little things that put you off for a while, but all problems can be solved.

headbanger97

Mar 3, 2010
I don't personally think life sucks. I think MY life sucks, but I know there is self improvement to be done. I think people think life sucks and act that way as a way to protect themselves. Saying you think life is great is to many like exposing your soft belly to attack. Many people just feel like they can't handle that attack. Personally I never look down on the people who think life sucks because I am and have been there in that situation, what they really need is someone to help them reach a point where they feel safe being optimistic. I think Yahtzee said it-when your optimistic your either right or disappointed. If your cynical your either right or mildly surprised.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
Okay, this is gonna sound like someone attempting to be really deep and intellectual and hoity-toity sounding, but this is legitimately what I think.

Life is only as good or bad as you want it to be. It all depends what you focus on--you can focus on the atrocities in the world (Hitler, Anders Breivik, etc) and how unfair and oppressive life in general seems to be. Or, you can focus on the equally good things and people. Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., the numerous charities that are at the very least really trying to help people, and fundamental human goodness/empathy. And since the two things are very, very easy to separate it's very, very easy to mostly ignore one in favor of the other. But, people who do so--some of the people who have "lost all faith in humanity" (but paradoxically still seem upset or surprised when something bad happens) or are disgustingly optimistic about all people's motives--are often ignoring a lot of the world they claim or pretend to understand so well. People are capable of both immense good and immense evil. There are the Hitlers and Stalins and Breiviks of the world, but there are also the Gandhis and Mother Teresas and Paul Rusesabaginas.

So I say life is a mixed bag. There's good and bad in all scales imaginable, and it's difficult not to fall into the trap of only seeing one over the other. But, in my eyes, there is fundamentally more good in humanity/humans than evil.

And not quite related, but as of the past few days I seem to have been seeing a lot of people basically calling out the cynics/jaded who repeatedly profess their loss/lack of faith in humanity and how the world/life is bad and all that. I dunno if I just didn't notice it before but I've been seeing a lot of it lately. Wonder where it came from, assuming I haven't just been missing it all this time.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Life is awesome, but PEOPLE make it suck, everyones life would be better if people weren't bitches at times, but then we can't laugh at the past.

The7Sins said:
Life is a piece of shit for me. I have no hope of improving my life partially due to being saddled with a couple of annoying mental illnesses but mainly because of my main hope to find hope and happiness in my life was taken away by a deceitful ***** who was in power and so screwed with my future. Now sadly I am stuck with no hope for an escape. As such I have for a long time wanted to kill myself. Only thing that has prevented me thus far is I have 2 dogs and I do not want to abandon them. But as they are both almost 14 now they will not be around to much longer. When they finally pass on I will have nothing else to bind me to this world and I will kill myself. When I do I shall post a thread with my suicide note on this forum and the others I'm a member of.
Well, I'll mourn you every day.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
anthony87 said:
Could be better.

Could be worse.

Either way I'm happy...now to leave this thread for good before the number of mopey, cynical(sp?)whiners becomes great enough to anger me.

EDIT:By that I don't mean that any of you lovely preceding posters are as described above, but lets face it, they're gonna show up eventually.
Aaaaaaaand here I am.

But seriously, it ain't that bad. Sure, I can see ways in which it could be better. But there's very little in the whole wide world that couldn't stand *any* improvement. I have a decent job, a house that doesn't leak, my health, cool gadgets, money in the bank, family who love me (for some reason), and friends who have stayed my friends when no one else wanted the job. That'll do.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
as long as one of the member of the monty python crew is alive i believe life does not suck.

ShotgunZombie

Dec 20, 2009
I have always believed in Equilibrium. That everything is equal parts good and bad. I apply this to life as well because as far as I can tell life is a sad miserable existence just as often as it serene, placid and downright glorious experience... You got to take the good with the bad, know what I mean?

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Wow, this is one of the most even polls I've seen here.

My theory is that happiness and quality are relative, and humans adapt to whatever quality of life they're given. If life was a perfect utopia with golden streets and 1000 year life cycles, people would complain about the perils of turning 500 and the scratch marks on the golden streets. If we lived in a poor, war-torn, disease ridden shit-hole full of killer bunnies, we would be joyful every time we found some food or outran the viscous packs of rabbits.

Basically, people take whatever situation they have and learn to think of it as average. While everyone has high and low points in life, the people who are consistently happy or sad are that way because of they're mentality rather than their situation.

Blah blah blah more ranting about the human psyche from someone who's never stepped a foot into a psychology or philosophy class ect, ect...

Kizi

Apr 29, 2011
Neutral. It has its ups and downs, I guess. Although I guess it all really depends on how you look at the world and how the world looks at you, i.e. how it treats you.

starkiller212

Dec 23, 2010
It's downright miserable when you're stuck with debilitating, chronic medical conditions. From my own limited experience, I'd say anything above that and living in a warzone seems pretty damn good in comparison.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I make life awesome with every breath I take.

...not sure about everyone else, though.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
"Half as long, twice as bright."
-Zeke Dunbar, Cole MaGrath

"People are awkward, messy, sometimes selfish and cruel. But they're trying."
-Commander Shepard

"You just gotta enjoy the little things".
-Zombieland

"I can deal with fate, but not the little things."
-Danny Elfman

...I love stories, so therefore I love life. If life sucks, it's either because it's poorly written or the animator had a fatal heart attack.

ProfessorEkim

Jul 23, 2011
Life is what you make of it, that's about it. Your whole purpose in life (religion aside) is pretty much nothing.... you just exist.

If you live bare minimum, life sucks, if you decide to fuck that and actually make something of this 1-up your mother found, it's pretty sweet.

MerryMarvelite

Mar 2, 2011
I'm of the opinion that life sucks in general.

My life is certainly pretty bad (lots of debt, shitty job, etc) but I'm not going to complain because there are LOTS of people who have it MUCH worse than I do. Starving, homeless, living in poverty, and whatnot.

So yeah, the world's a shitty place, but I try not to let that get to me.

BrailleOperatic

Jul 7, 2010
Life is inherently neutral. It's not good. It's not bad. It simply is.

Our individual experiences may vary. Some may have long happy lives. Others will find little but sadness in discontent.

However, our experiences are an internal construct, not reflective of life as a whole, and represent only a small portion of possible experiences.

If you focus on the bad, your life will be bad.

If you focus on the good, your life will be good.

But if you run around worrying about whether or not life sucks, you'll never get anything done.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
I think what I see that's truly Awesome about life is it's potential. We can do with it or make of it whatever we want. The only limits to what we can or can't make is our own imagination. That is nearly unspeakably great!

"Sometimes being too dumb to know you can't do something? Is a really great thing."
-Steve Waznyach-