Poll: Poll: Forrest Gump vs Shawshank Redemption vs Pulp Fiction.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
GO.

Me........I can do without Shawshank Redemption, but Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction to me is like choosing between your kin so.....Forrest Gump, it felt more epic in scale and made America look cool, and really Pulp Fiction was at its best when Samuel Jackson was on the screen.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I love Tarantino's work, and never saw the other two.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Pulp Fiction is one of those films that I considered unassailable back in the day but upon rewatching is kind cringeworthy at times. Weirdly homophobic in a way that only the 90's can be and the only parts that seem memorable, in hindsight, are the banter about cheeseburgers and foot massages and Christopher Walkin's use of the word "ass."

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
jademunky said:
Pulp Fiction is one of those films that I considered unassailable back in the day but upon rewatching is kind cringeworthy at times. Weirdly homophobic in a way that only the 90's can be and the only parts that seem memorable, in hindsight, are the banter about cheeseburgers and foot massages and Christopher Walkin's use of the word "ass."
"Eeass"*

In a movie about organized crime, kidnapping, racketeering, anal rape, casual racism and murder, you find homophobia (and I'm honestly not sure what you're talking about) over the line? I've seen the movie a dozen times and I have no idea what scene you're referring to.
Saelune said:
I love Tarantino's work, and never saw the other two.
This is the first, and possibly last time you and I will agree on something. Even if it's by default I'll take it, 3 cheers for middle ground.

OP: I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you dropped your keyboard and it inexplicably typed out that sequence of letters, monkeys with a typewriter style. It clearly goes Pulp Fiction > Shawshank Redemption > Forest Gump.

Forest Gump is a good movie, no doubt, but super overrated.

EDIT: Shit, I forgot drug abuse and armed robbery.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Polls don't work anymore. I don't know why.

OT: I've never seen Shawshank Redemption and I don't like Pulp Fiction so Forrest Gump. That's not to say I don't think it's a fantastic movie. I don't really like watching it too often though because it makes me cry.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Only seen Forest Gump. It's reasonably enjoyable.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Mossberg Shotty said:
jademunky said:
"Eeass"*

In a movie about organized crime, kidnapping, racketeering, anal rape, casual racism and murder, you find homophobia (and I'm honestly not sure what you're talking about) over the line? I've seen the movie a dozen times and I have no idea what scene you're referring to.
Uh, that'd be the gay hillbilly rape of Ving Rhames. Seriously, what else would I be talking about?

It really comes out of nowhere, has no truth to it in any culture or pop-culture that I'm aware of, is just weirdly jarring and says more about the hangups of the director than anything else.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Pulp Fiction easily, Tarantino's dialog really keeps his movies humming along even though they're usually like 2.5 hours long and it also makes for good rewatchability.

Shawshank is a really good/great first time watch but I've never had the need to rewatch it.

Forrest Gump I really enjoyed like the first 2/3s or 3/4s of the movie but, I don't know, it just really dragged on from a certain point for me.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
They are good film but I haven't wanted to watch any of them in the last decade. So I'm going Swiss on this.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Have you ever considered maybe instead... The Stuff? The Stuff is a great damn movie.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I prefer Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction. I can acknowledge Forrest Gump as a good film, but it's not one I'm a fan of.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I don't really like Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction is good but not Tarantino's best work... gotta go with Shawshank. Its Freeman's favorite of his own filmography, Darabont took a pay cut to direct it himself because he liked it so much, its King's favorite adaption of his work... Hard for me to argue with all that.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
All perdy good if yer ask me. I'm going against the scriptures of IMDb and saying Shawshank is the one I'd least be interested in watching again.
In a way, due to being averse to rewatching films no matter how amazing, it seems like the only way to measure this is with the metric; "If it's on while I am in a shamefully lazed stupor, how much effort would i put into changing it to something I haven't seen before while a cat sits nonchalantly on the chest?"

Shawshank would be the first to go. Not for quality reasons though. Forest Gump is like comfort film you can watch on a Sunday morning while trying to recover from a self-imposed chemical imbalance if it happens to be playing. It would fare a little better. Pulp Fiction and other of T's work utilise a distinct soundtrack that fires up my cold and bitter dying soul, so maybe that would provide enough energy to throw the overly-trusting cat off and leap towards the remote with newfound zest for...something.

There are numerous variables at work here. Twas not as simple as first assumed.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Kyrian007 said:
I don't really like Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction is good but not Tarantino's best work... gotta go with Shawshank. Its Freeman's favorite of his own filmography, Darabont took a pay cut to direct it himself because he liked it so much, its King's favorite adaption of his work... Hard for me to argue with all that.
Agree totally. Not that Pulp Fiction isn't great, and I guess Forrest Gump was good, but still, Shawshank Redemption for the win.

Or The Stuff, if it's in the runnings. Horror is more my thing.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Shawshank, I guess. Pulp Fiction hasn't aged especially well and there are tons of other films that are just as thrillingly perverse that have more of something to say. It's the kind of film you feel like a badass for watching in high school because it seems new and edgy. Forrest Gump is a decent yarn and well acted but I think it's one that is more enjoyable when you're a kid. So Shawshank wins by default.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
jademunky said:
Mossberg Shotty said:
jademunky said:
"Eeass"*

Uh, that'd be the gay hillbilly rape of Ving Rhames. Seriously, what else would I be talking about?

It really comes out of nowhere, has no truth to it in any culture or pop-culture that I'm aware of, is just weirdly jarring and says more about the hangups of the director than anything else.
Honestly I just remember it as "The rape". The sexuality of the rapist just comes secondary in my mind, I guess.

Comes out of nowhere- That's 99% of the movie.

Jarring- It's meant to be.

I think you're missing the point, I'm saying in this movie filled with all these offensive, bombastic and awful events, why does that stand out as worse? There are no "good" characters in Pulp Fiction, that's the point.

No clue what you mean when you say it "has no truth in culture". As far as the hang-ups of the director, I don't get it are you saying Tarantino is a homophobe?

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I find Shawshank to be the best of these three films and one I can re-watch any time. Gump is a marvelous film, but after seeing it a couple of times, I feel it loses a lot of its impact. And honestly, I've never been much of a Tarantino fan, so while I've seen Pulp and enjoyed it a bit, I have no real desire to ever see it again.