Poll: Poll: Forrest Gump vs Shawshank Redemption vs Pulp Fiction.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Shawshank, by a mile - I'll pretty much watch it whenever its on if I'm channel hopping.

I've only seen Gump in bits and pieces and never felt driven to watch it properly. I think Pulp Fiction is overrated rubbish.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Mossberg Shotty said:
No clue what you mean when you say it "has no truth in culture". As far as the hang-ups of the director, I don't get it are you saying Tarantino is a homophobe?
I don't think he has anything against gay people, no. I do think...... look it was the 90's and revulsion towards teh gayz was just normal and accepted back then.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Pulp Fiction, no question. Not quite as well thematically structured as Reservoir Dogs, but still great. 90s Tarantino is Best Tarantino. By far.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
MrCalavera said:
Okay... Am i missing something here? What's the connection between all these movies?
They are all in the list of Academy Award for Best Picture of 1994 and Forrest Gump won that year, and to this day some people still think Forrest Gump did not deserve that win and it should have been Shawshank or Pulp Fiction (Mostly Shawshank from what I have seen)

And this is not as clearly one-sided as the other Oscar snub that was Saving Private Ryan vs Shakespeare in Love.

Because all 3 of these movies are ALMOST equally good. So I just wanted to see why people think this movie was better over the others and vice versa.

Oct 22, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
MrCalavera said:
Okay... Am i missing something here? What's the connection between all these movies?
They are all in the list of Academy Award for Best Picture of 1994 and Forrest Gump won that year, and to this day some people still think Forrest Gump did not deserve that win and it should have been Shawshank or Pulp Fiction (Mostly Shawshank from what I have seen)
Ah, right, that clears it up.

TBF, both Forrest Gump and Shawshank Redemption are oscar-baity enough. But since Pulp Fiction isn't my favorite Tarantino movie, i gotta say Shawshank win this competition.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
jademunky said:
Mossberg Shotty said:
No clue what you mean when you say it "has no truth in culture". As far as the hang-ups of the director, I don't get it are you saying Tarantino is a homophobe?
I don't think he has anything against gay people, no. I do think...... look it was the 90's and revulsion towards teh gayz was just normal and accepted back then.
The movie isn't homophobic, neither is Tarantino, so your point is?

That's like saying racism against blacks was a lot more prevalent when Orsen Wells made Citizen Kane. Technically true, but what's that got to do with the fucking movie?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
MrCalavera said:
Samtemdo8 said:
MrCalavera said:

TBF, both Forrest Gump and Shawshank Redemption are oscar-baity enough. But since Pulp Fiction isn't my favorite Tarantino movie, i gotta say Shawshank win this competition.
And why is Shawshank the clear winner?

Oct 22, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
MrCalavera said:
Samtemdo8 said:
MrCalavera said:

And why is Shawshank the clear winner?
Because... i like it the most of the bunch? I mean, i rewatched it recently, and i think it holds up a bit better than Pulp Fiction, which i also like.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Shawshank Redemption wins for me, though they're all fantastic movies.

I love the structure of Pulp Fiction, and its tendency to go on tangents for the sake of fun. Still, it falls into the trap of indulgence, which so often trips Tarantino up. It's not his best (that would be Reservoir Dogs).

Forrest Gump is sheer meandering fun, and has a great heart to it, but isn't too hard-hitting.

Shawshank Redemption, on the other hand, has heart and intensity in equal measure, and is immensely satisfying to watch, so it gets my vote.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silvanus said:
Shawshank Redemption wins for me, though they're all fantastic movies.

I love the structure of Pulp Fiction, and its tendency to go on tangents for the sake of fun. Still, it falls into the trap of indulgence, which so often trips Tarantino up. It's not his best (that would be Reservoir Dogs).

Forrest Gump is sheer meandering fun, and has a great heart to it, but isn't too hard-hitting.

Shawshank Redemption, on the other hand, has heart and intensity in equal measure, and is immensely satisfying to watch, so it gets my vote.
Yeah to be honest, Reservoir Dogs was the much better movie, way better cast of actors (No offense to Samuel Jackson and John Travolta and the like), and more simplier to follow story.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Do I need to be an American or something to enjoy Forrest Gump? I tried watching it and to be honest, it was awful. Cringeworthy and contrived in the extreme. Comparing it to Shawshank Redemption is an insult to that great movie.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Do I need to be an American or something to enjoy Forrest Gump? I tried watching it and to be honest, it was awful. Cringeworthy and contrived in the extreme. Comparing it to Shawshank Redemption is an insult to that great movie.
Forrest Gump is alot of things. One of them being "Post-World War 2 America: The Movie" or "USA Baby Boomers: The Movie"

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
I vote for Forrest Gump. Haven't seen Shawshank Redemption.

Blood Brain Barrier said:
I'm not American and I enjoyed Forrest Gump. But it probably resonates more with Americans.

jademunky said:
Mossberg Shotty said:
jademunky said:
Pulp Fiction is one of those films that I considered unassailable back in the day but upon rewatching is kind cringeworthy at times. Weirdly homophobic in a way that only the 90's can be and the only parts that seem memorable, in hindsight, are the banter about cheeseburgers and foot massages and Christopher Walkin's use of the word "ass."
Uh, that'd be the gay hillbilly rape of Ving Rhames. Seriously, what else would I be talking about?

It really comes out of nowhere, has no truth to it in any culture or pop-culture that I'm aware of, is just weirdly jarring and says more about the hangups of the director than anything else.
Didn't it just come from the stereotype that hillbillies are moral degenerates that rape ANYTHING that moves? I vaguely remember a somewhat similar scene from another American movie with a famous banjo scene.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Jute88 said:
Didn't it just come from the stereotype that hillbillies are moral degenerates that rape ANYTHING that moves? I vaguely remember a somewhat similar scene from another American movie with a famous banjo scene.
Deliverance.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
These films are really quite different. They aren't even in the same rough genre, in my opinion. There are films that would have made more sense to compare - but...OK... I'll play.

1. I felt the widest range of emotions during Forrest Gump, so I guess it wins because of that. It's a great film. The people who said they didn't like it in this thread are obviously robots.

2. Shawshank Redemption, I mean, you just can't beat Morgan Freeman's narration in that. It's a very good story and a classic. You feel such satisfaction when he finally breaks out. Love that film.

3. Pulp Fiction is probably my 2nd fav Tarantino film. It has a lot of great qualities, and it may be what got me into cinema, but you asking of a lot of me to compare it to the others. I always feel like Tarantino overdoes violence just because he likes it - and that's where it loses marks for me personally.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
BreakfastMan said:
Have you ever considered maybe instead... The Stuff? The Stuff is a great damn movie.
While I agree wholeheartedly, The Stuff came out in 1985... Wait. Don't tell me that they remade The Stuff... DO NOT TELL ME THAT THEY REMADE THE STUFF!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Baffle2 said:
Jute88 said:
Deliverance.
Ironically enough Forrest Gump made the rather not so subtle implication that the charcater of Jenny and her sisters was abused, even sexually, by her dad, and the dad is almost everything negative about hillbillies ever: