Poll: Poll: Have you ever shot a gun? (Also note which country you live in)

OpiateChicken

Jul 2, 2009
I've been seeing some of the weapons threads on here lately, and it's got me thinking: how many Escapists have actually shot guns (real ones, not paintball/airsoft/BB/waterguns/nerfguns) with live ammunition? Some people seem to know a lot about guns and I'm betting that many of them haven't fired one.

I live in Canada, and personally, I haven't; and the only time I've ever even seen them is on police officers/army personnel, and the latter was only at the Olympics. I think I would like to fire one someday, and if I live out in a remote area I might even buy one. As you might know, it's a little harder to get a gun up here than in the US.

What I'm assuming is that most American Escapists will either have fired one or own one, and most people from other countries probably haven't.

So, what about you?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
I dislocated my arm with a Desert Eagle.

I was trying to bond with friends and friends fathers and grandfathers, but I abhor weapons.

My favourite weapon is the Bow, such majesty in firing those things.

Ironboot

Mar 9, 2010
I live in Sweden and I've never even touched a gun... I'm not interested either.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I live in tx and Ive shot my dads guns, not hunting tho, at most target practice or skeet shooting

BeeRye

Mar 4, 2009
I got to fire the Steyr and Bren as part of the Irish reserves. Yes, we still use the Bren, and what of it?

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
I'm American, and I own two guns. Oh no.

I don't fire them often, but honestly I don't see what anyone has against the owning of guns anyway. I've shot at ranges, in the desert, and have actually gone hunting twice, for the record. It's not really all that fun. /shrug

vanillabeans320

Jun 24, 2009
I don't really like guns (they creep me out honestly), but I'd be interested in firing one at an indoor range for accuracy. I liked archery in PE class for the same reason. Also, after years and years of FPSs there's a small curiosity factor of what it actually feels like to shoot a gun. But even if I like it, I'd never buy and own a gun to keep in my house, hunt, or fight anything but zombies.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
I have three or four times, including a 9mm pistol, .45 ACP pistol, 357 magnum and a .44 magnum. This was at an indoor range. The magnums, while having that 'cool factor,' are a ***** to use and fire, especially if you don't know what to expect. I prefer smaller calibre pistols, mainly for accuracy.

I've actually applied for my H1 license, which grants me the ability to fire weapons unsupervised, and will likely apply for my owner's license, if a year or so of firing range pistols proved to be of enough interest to me, and buy my own to store at home.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm in Australia - the US's slightly older and much cooler brother. You know, the one that everyone prefers to hang out with and go to the pub with.

FlameUnquenchable

Apr 27, 2010
Never personally owned a gun, though I've thought about buying some now that I have a good job. I've fired, 30/30, .22, 12ga., 20 ga., .22 pistol. I always wanted to fire off my friend's S&W .357 but I never got the chance, my brother has a glock 9mm that I want to fire, and my dad has a British Enfield .303 that I want to shoot.

Oh, USA.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I love my .40 Taurus, I shoot that sucker as often as I can (at targets, no living targets at this point). It's good stuff know and it's a fucking blast to do! I'd rather know how to use it in the right situation than to be a total moron when it comes to being in a live-fire situation.

I live in the US by the way and no I'm not some crazed "redneck" just because I own a gun and know well how to use it.

klakkat

May 24, 2008
I own a gun and shoot it from time to time; I have a Remington bolt-action 30.06 rifle. I have fired an AK47 and an AR15, and those are both nice guns, as well as a variety of others. Handguns are probably my favorite to shoot and I'm the best with them, but I hate revolvers.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
Aye, i shot a few guns when i was in cadets, been doing it ever since (Yay for local rifle ranges :D)

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
No, I've never fired a gun in my life. I'd like to at some point though, if only for the experience. I live in Britain though, so it's not likely to happen any time soon. I mean, not unless I joined the ATC or something, which I have to intention of doing. The whole military discipline thing wouldn't mesh well with me.

Aloran

Oct 9, 2008
Yes, an 8 bore when my dad used to shoot (read: the hobby, pheasant shooting) as a past time. Shot a pheasant, heard the thud it makes as it hits the ground, never wanted to shoot again.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
Fired the No.8 Rifle and the L98A1 Cadet GP Rifle when I was in the Army Cadet Force. Also, I'm English.

BuGGaTon

Feb 11, 2009
I've shot a shotgun at clay pigeons and a .22 rifle (not the airgun flavour) on a range. The former was in America (Virginia) and the latter was at school in Berkshire. Guess the school for a cookie!