Poll: Poll: How much would you pay for Mobile internet?

Kebabco

Jun 5, 2010
Dear escapists,

After reading this thread, http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.228894-How-Dependant-Are-You-On-The-Internet?page=1, which asked how depended you are on the internet, I realized that i'm pretty much addicted enough to that damn net-stuff to classify as a junkie.
Using it as one of my mains forms of entertainment, just checking newssites, certain blogs, forums with freaky people (yep).

In any case, my student lifestyle will be changing pretty radically over the next months, because I will actually have to go and work somewhere! I know, its shocking! Since i won't be able to get my daily fix as much as I need back home at my trusted pc I'm thinking about getting a blackberry or a nokia with an internet connection.

However, i found that these phones are pretty expensive (around 400 to 600 euro) and that the internet connection costs another 10 per month.

So, dear escapists, how much would you pay for mobile internet?
Phone: Single time phone costs
Contract: per month internet costs

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I get my mobile internet for free on my iPhone 3GS, so that is what I would pay for it!

I payed £200 for the phone and £15 a month for the contract, (includes free internet and WiFi) I can then link the iPhone to my laptop and use it as a USB device for internet access wherever I want!

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I just care about MSN (contact for friends and gf) and it was $8 AUD ontop of the normal per month cost.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
I have a Samsung Genio. I pay £20 per month for unlimited texts, unlimited internet use and 600 minutes. However I don't use the internet loads on it, just to check Facebook or more specific things (like cinema times, restaurant times etc) if we're out. I'd recommend an iPhone or something but they are expensive. My mate has a phone, I think its HTC or something like that, which is essentially an iPhone and a lot cheaper.

pSY'oniK

Jun 23, 2010
There was a company in Romania at which you could get the phone for like 100 euros, 12 euros/month subscription with it and you could hook the phone up to a laptop or computer and it would work as a modem then. Speeds weren't incredible (up to 3.2Mbps) but you got to be connected all of the time so yeah... As for the phone part, do you want full web services or just to read through some stuff cause if it's the latter then even a 50-60 euro phone will do the trick and then you can just buy a modem for your internet (most of them either way look like flash disks or some are even built into a laptop with a pcmia card-or something like that).

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
My phone plan is $29 AUD a month, plus $8 for...I don't remember how many MBs of internet. Around 220, I think. Not the best deal, but a) I'm not the one paying for it and b) it works and is uncomplicated. Good enough. The phone itself cost under $200. I don't know how much I'd pay - under $10, probably. The overall plan is pretty good value, which is why I don't mind paying that extra $8 for internet.

pSY'oniK

Jun 23, 2010
Just checked out an offer. Nokia X6 with 500 MB of traffic each month and the usual good stuff only 130 euros. The monthly subscription is bellow 20 euros