Poll: Poll of the Day #20: Best Dungeon Keeper game?

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Yep, we're going old school. Which Dungeon Keeper game do you consider the best? While I do try to keep an air of unbias in the OP (I'll usually save my opinions until later), I am going to make an exception to that here when I say: Unfortunately, Dungeon Keeper Mobile does in fact count entirely due to it technically being a DK game, even if it's widely considered to be in name only (What? I haven't played it, nor am I going to). War for the Overworld doesn't count however, as it is its own IP.

Anyways, remember to keep civil, don't break the Escapist's rules, Let's try to focus on what you like about the games you do like, and try not to be too harsh on anyone who actually likes the mobile game for whatever reason. Good luck and keep Reaping, you Horny bastards! XD

Captcha: "party on, garth"

VileTerror

Dec 22, 2010
I've never managed to get the original Dungeon Keeper to run properly, and 2 was enough fun that I never felt like I needed to break my brain trying to find a way to get the original to work. I saw a co-worker play the mobile a few times, and it made me sad. EA in general makes me sad, though, so that's not too shocking.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
1 is probably the better game in terms of mechanics and options, but I've always had a soft spot for 2 with its crazed sense of humour and wacky visuals. So yeah, 2 is my favourite for sure.

VileTerror said:
I've never managed to get the original Dungeon Keeper to run properly, and 2 was enough fun that I never felt like I needed to break my brain trying to find a way to get the original to work. I saw a co-worker play the mobile a few times, and it made me sad. EA in general makes me sad, though, so that's not too shocking.
Here, maybe this will help: KeeperFX

It's an open source mod of Dungeon Keeper 1 that works to drag the game kicking and screaming onto newer computers with higher resolutions and visuals alongside improved performance. It works perfectly for me.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Dungeon Keeper 1 for me, I do like DK2, the My Pet Dungeon mode was just awesome and the campaign was pretty cool too but it just didn't grip me in the same way DK1 did. Though one thing DK2 did that I didn't like: Horny as a summon only? Fuck that noise, I loved watching him get angry and go on a killing spree...of my creatures.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Insanity Wolf: Dungeon Keeper Mobile!!! :p

Seriously though, I'm torn. DK2 has more polished gameplay, but DK1 has better atmosphere and "feel" to it. DK2 is just a bit too bright, clean and cartoony. Also, DK2 kinda ruined the Horned Reaper for me, so there's that. Overall, a slight advantage to DK1 as far as I'm concerned. It had better intro music as well...