Poll: Poll: TLoU vs. Bioshock Infinite

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Zhukov said:
Somehow I seem to have completed and thoroughly enjoyed four runs through a game that is not merely bad, but in fact frequently broken.
The gameplay was, yes. We spent a lot of time discussing why. Fortunately for TLOU, the gameplay was not the entire package. This wasn't a puzzler or strategy title, it was a story heavy shooter that just happened to be saddled with a lot of fussy, stupid bullshit on the game side of things.

The itself was not bad. It was pretty good. It just took a LOT of patience.

For what it's worth, I would qualify the game play in games like To the Moon, or The Wolf Among Us, or any number of story heavy/game-lite experiences as "bad" to "non-existent". Doesn't mean they're bad games. I'm not one of the game play > all ideologues.

EBonhawk09

Nov 1, 2010
This was a tough one. I thoroughly enjoyed both games (although the combat in Bioshock Infinite did feel kinda forced in comparison to the original), but I think I'm going to have to go with The Last of Us here. Both games had superb stories, but The Last of Us was a more believable and emotionally driven tale, while Infinite was a classic mindfuck. Both are great in their own way, but I felt more of a connection with Joel and Ellie than I did with Booker and Elizabeth. So that's why I like The Last of Us just a slight bit more than Bioshock Infinite.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
GLORY TO AR- Oh, wait, wrong game... Ahum, well then! I will have to vote for Infinite, purely because I have not play the last of us. Besides, it was a pretty can't good game!

ATRAYA

Jul 19, 2011
Other than the intro to "The Last of Us", I found the entire story boring, predictable, and not nearly as emotional as everyone said it was (the intro was obviously predictable, but not boring or emotionless). The ending was especially bad, but ya gotta lead up to them money-making sequels, right? The combat was flat-out crap as well. 'Twas prettier than "Bioshock: Infinite", I'll give it that, but if you played it on console, you would've had to make a steak dinner for six each time you loaded an area, just to pass the time.

I thought "Bioshock: Infinite" would've won by a landslide, but... maybe I'm just out of it. Or people are struck harder by "The Last of Us" because it came out quite a bit later, so it's still fresh in the mind. :/

"Bioshock: Infinite" suffered from ludonarrative dissonance hardcore, but so do most action games ("The Last of Us" suffering from it just as much). The combat was at least competent in "Bioshock: Infinite" - pretty fun most of the time, in fact - despite its ability to drag on and on. I felt very detached from Ellen Pa-- er, "Ellie" in "The Last of Us", but Elizabeth was a great character (and Courtnee Draper is a FANTASTIC singer).

Ultimately, I voted for Bioshock: Infinite, hands-down. The poll results baffle me, and I'm a grumpy old man who's going to bed... *grumble grumble*

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
Both games had bad game play and good stories.

Both games had an appealing female character whose name began with E who outshone the gruff male protagonist who was voiced by Troy Baker. Both games featured a central narrative about fathers and daughters and shots at redemption for a troubled past.

Personally I preferred Infinite. The game play was merely tepid, instead of actively broken-bad, as was so frequently the case with The Last of Us. There were times in Bioshock Infinite where I found myself thinking "I wish this had been done better". Nearly half the time I was playing The Last of Us I actively hated the game.
What games have better gameplay than these? If you think the gameplay on either is "tepid," then it's hard for me to imagine a game within the last 5 years you'd enjoy.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
KevinHe92 said:
Ahhh how I miss when vs threads weren't allowed.
Except there's an entire forum full of vs threads here.

Why are they allowed but not this one?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
IceForce said:
Because that's a promotion like how March Mayhem was, so there are special occasions. Hell that's tame compared to the body count that March Mayhem used to garner. While it's sad that the voting has pretty much been hijacked, it's not surprising if you've been here for a long time and been through more than one March Mayhem.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I'd like to point out that Joel doesn't seem to be ashamed of his past, but rather over it

Casual Shinji said:
Both TLoU and BS: Infinite were OVERRATED GARBAGE, the Uncharted boardgame is where it's at!
The escapist in a nutshell. We have to find "ok" things to like cause people ***** about all the popular ones. Or hide behind big names like Half Life and Pokemon

I didn't vote in the poll because I have yet to play Infinite. I imagine I'd still vote Last of Us though. Because of the game of the year polls, Infinite has moved up on my list of games to play just cause so many people griped about it and now I have to play it for myself to see how wrong they are

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
To be honest I didnt really care for either one all that much. Both games were very similar in the sense that they had good stories with pretty mediocre gameplay (I even made a thread about that for the last of us). Honestly a bunch of indie games beat both titles down in terms of being great games (Zeno clash 2, Shadowrun returns, and Thomas was alone come to mind) instead of great stories with gameplay tacked on

However if I must pick one its going to be the last of us because everything in that game at least had a purpose. I remember playing BI and thinking that the vigors were just an add on because the devs felt to be bioshock you had to have plasmids. However vigors didnt even really have a story to them unlike plasmids which caused the downfall of rapture. Last of us also had much better characterization that the characters stuck to for the entire game (i.e. Joe's selfishness). However last of us also had a lot of technical issues with it being locked at 30 FPS which for me made the game feel like it was moving at full speed while Im playing in slow motion mode

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
I voted for The Last of Us because it was the only one out of the two that I managed to finish. About halfway through B:I I gave up on it because it was incredibly boring to me.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Both great games, I liked both, I liked The Last of Us more.

So, uhhhh... yeah... I really don't see where the 'both games were horribly flawed' crowd is coming from. If a game is great, but not the second coming, it's apparently badly broken. Go figure.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I take a slight issue with "clearly better". I personally place the last of us in a much higher ranking, but both have their place in my memory.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
Bioshock Infinite, because I like the design better and it released to PC.
Still, both are far away from being the best game of the year (Dota 2).

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
GundamSentinel said:
So, uhhhh... yeah... I really don't see where the 'both games were horribly flawed' crowd is coming from. If a game is great, but not the second coming, it's apparently badly broken. Go figure.
Every new game that gets loads of praise better damn well reinvent the wheel, or else...

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
KevinHe92 said:
IceForce said:
KevinHe92 said:
Ahhh how I miss when vs threads weren't allowed.
Except there's an entire forum full of vs threads here.

Well far be it from me to write the rules, but the mods used to shut down vs threads instantly. Now they're just rampant.
They still stop most of them because of what they would devolve into. I think they're probably watching this thread like a hawk. I mean a lot of community members sorta wanted this because the actual contest's poll was hijacked and it's basically turned into another Zynga match, with Papers, Please taking the role of Zynga.

oversoon

Oct 12, 2013
I hate coming off like I'm just a hater, but I am again completely one sided on this one; not just because I loved The Last of Us, but because I couldn't get into Bioshock Infinite... I'm also one of the people who couldn't get into the first Bioshock. Aside from finding both games clunky and just entertaining to PLAY, I think I just hate Ken Levine's work. They may well have great story elements in there, but they are just SO instantly pretentious. The game is way too aware that it has a message. I was barely into Infinite and I was thinking "Ugggh, Ok, I get it! I'm Alce, this is some kind of wonderland, racism is bad, religion homogenizes people, and I'm way too obviously heading for yet another of those endings where it's somehow all an illusion, I'm actually the bad guy, or something equally vacuous and overdone". The original to me was "Unsubtle Juxtaposition - The Game" and Infinite outdoes it in the first 10 minutes.

My intent isn't to bash those who enjoyed it... I just thoroughly couldn't.
I'm not a hate it cause it's popular kind of guy. My favorite games this gen have been mostly big hits. It just kills me when it seems like I can feel the dev's self-importance radiating from the screen.

I do however STRONGLY applaud the design of the game. It looks truly stunning.

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
I didn't like Infinite.

The story just rubbed me the wrong way at several points and when you consider that was supposed to be its saving grace...

It'll have to be the Last of Us.

SadisticBrownie

May 9, 2011
I really enjoyed the story and setting of both, but Infinite was just such a slog to play, found the combat bland and the plasmids uninspiring.

Saidan

Aug 22, 2013
The Last of Us, game of the generation. Still loved Infinite, I really did.