Poll: [Poll] Undertale (medium spoiler)

MeisterKleister

Mar 9, 2012
I love this game, it's easily among my favorites of the year. And if you haven't played it yet and it even looks the slightest bit interesting to you, I'd highly recommend to check it out [http://undertale.com/] and avoid spoilers.

Anyway, I've been wondering actually how many people during their very first playthrough killed Toriel by accident despite wanting to save her, like I did.

I'm curious whether it's evenly split or skewered one way.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Killed her, forgot how to spare her, then reloaded and spared her when I then remembered the exact trick to it that I even noticed the first time. Spared her first time in the demo so I have no idea how I forgot how to/her specific way to.

inu-kun said:
To be fair, the way to spare Toriel is meant mainly for the second run and afterwards, since it's really out there and not displayed well, can't decide if good or bad design choice.

The weird thing is the talk with skeleton guy near the end that only makes sense if you killed her.
It's actually very clever/exact words kind of thing. One or two of the frogs discuss the idea and one of them basically says "Sometimes you've got to spare them even if they don't want you to.", very carefully giving the actual hint to doing it, and the rest is left to the player to understand. Similar to Sans' comment about Papyrus' special Blue attack and such. The whole game is a fuckery on using exact words and thinking outside of the box.

MeisterKleister

Mar 9, 2012
inu-kun said:
To be fair, the way to spare Toriel is meant mainly for the second run and afterwards, since it's really out there and not displayed well, can't decide if good or bad design choice.
Yea, I'm actually kinda split on this too. After trying to talk to her and spare her, I next tried to follow the first Frog's advice and fight her to low health and then try sparing her again, however she suddenly died before I got her to low health.