Poll: [POTENTIAL SPOILERS] "Bring us the girl, and wipe away the debt" to be gaming's next iconic phrase?

DaKiller

Jan 15, 2011
"Heads or tails" was pretty good. Really anything that the Lutece(s) said was pretty memorable to me.

Paul Shuster

Mar 10, 2010
Personally, I like "Don't Disappoint Us" but I think it requires the visual prop that goes with it to be effective.

http://orcz.com/images/thumb/e/eb/Gaggedmanbioshockinfinite.jpg/400px-Gaggedmanbioshockinfinite.jpg

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Phlakes said:
Zhukov said:
There's always, "He doesn't row." That still seems like a stretch though.
That's been a big one in the group I've talked about the game with. Lot of "do you even row" going around.
I think "Do you even lift?" is one of the stupidest memes I've seen, and I don't think "He doesn't row" even sounds like a meme, but "Do you even row?" made me laugh out loud. XD

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
What? Why would it?
I've never even heard of the "Would you kindly" shtick outside of Bioshock discussion topics.

Now here's a surprise for you: Not everybody has played, or wants to play, the Bioshock games.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
My friend and I have been using "But the details wouldn't change a goddamn thing" a lot.Pprobably not meme-material either, but I quite like it.

IGetNoSlack

Sep 21, 2012
Nope.

I, personally, have used "Xed, X, will X" multiple times.

"Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt" is far too situational.

"Xed, X, will X" however, is shorter, can be said relatively off-handedly (and quickly), and can be applied to a lot of situations. It also can be as a way of saying "Shut up about it."

In addition, it has that same kind of "Oh. That's what that meant." effect that WYK has. It isn't entirely obvious, though "Xed, X, will X" isn't as subtle as WYK, and it's true meaning only becomes apparent when it was designed to do so.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
My votes for "Lives, Lived, Will Live. Dies, Died, Will Die"- The Luteces
That or "Are you afraid of God?" "No, but I'm afraid of you."

Dat line delivery from Troy Baker... too gud.

But lets face it "Will you kindly" is just too good of a phrase to be overshadowed.

Soundwave

Sep 2, 2012
"He's strong in the Sword, but a little weak in Scroll and the Key if you know what I mean?" was probably my favorite line

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Haven't played Infinite yet, but the "Even in Paradise someone has to scrub the toilets." Line in the original still give me chills today. Not even the 4-syllable phrase was that enduring to me.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Unless its talking about a Mario game, and getting Princess Peach as Warrio to pay Mario for his plumbing bill or something... no.
There's not really any context it can be used in. Would you kindly can be used any time you want to ask someone to do something. Its not as situational, and is more a general purpose reference you can use. Other Lutece quotes are more likely to take this.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It's not going to be the next big phrase because you can't use it in normal every day conversation. There are very few instances that will ever come up where using the phrase "bring us the girl and whip away the debt" will make any sense in conversation.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
Robot Number V said:
scorptatious said:
As cool as a phrase at it is, it is kinda of a mouthful and as others have said, it's too situational.
Robot Number V said:
The weird thing is that (if I understand it correctly), "He doesn't row" actually sums up the game pretty damn well.
Really? How so?
Well, this is a total shot in the dark, and I could just be overanalyzing nothing, but I took that whole conversation to be about how Booker doesn't really have any choice in his circumstances. He has no control over the sequence of events that are about to occur, including his own inevitable death(Which is really what the game is all about...Canceling out Comstock). He's just along for the ride. Thus, he "Doesn't row".

Again though, I could be totally wrong. The phrase could be meaningless beyond "Booker literally does not row this particular boat at any time".
I took it as a reference to the multitude of Bookers that the Luteces were taking to Columbia. Across all of the various realities, some things remain constant, the coin always comes up heads, there is always a girl and a lighthouse and Booker Dewitt does not row the boat on the way to the lighthouse. That is why the phrase is repeated, not
He doesn't row-meaning that the booker Dewitt that you are playing as does not row boats but rather
he doesn't row- meaning that the actual booker we are playing is irrelevant, no booker rows the boat.