Poll: Potions, drink or apply directly to the affected area?

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
a "potion" or "elixir" or "tonic" is drunk.

a "poultice" or "salve" is applied to the injured area.

This is actually one of the hilarious things about Dragon Age because they messed that part up. They just called their potions "Poultices" because it sounded cool, but they kept potion drinking animation in place.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I believe you drink health potions and they revitalize the whole body, causing regeneration overall. In this case, your wound regenerates a set amount because it's not a specifically-applied thing. Thus, potions do some, hi-potions do better, and X-Potions are awesome.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
I've wondered similarly as to just how much liquid is in a potion. In some games it takes one turn to drink a potion, which seems to represent a relatively long amount of time, but in Diablo, WoW and others drinking a potion is instant. If it's a few cups of liquid, it has to take some time to drink.

This leads me to believe that instant health potions are more concentrated and come in thimbol sized containers. The cooldown is how long it takes for our intrepid hero to fish another vial from a pocket on the inside of his helmet. with his tongue. while flailing swords about or somesuch.

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
Cheesepower5 said:
I had a dream like that. Except it was herbs. Apply to affected area, ingest or smoke?
This is the question that Resident Evil has allways left me with.

In DnD, they specifically state that potions are only 1oz. In other games, it depends on how much they even care about your suspension of disbelief. Iv allways been the kind of person to fill the holes in myself. I kind of thought thats what youre supposed to do with fantasy.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Gamblerjoe said:
Cheesepower5 said:
I had a dream like that. Except it was herbs. Apply to affected area, ingest or smoke?
This is the question that Resident Evil has allways left me with.

In DnD, they specifically state that potions are only 1oz. In other games, it depends on how much they even care about your suspension of disbelief. Iv allways been the kind of person to fill the holes in myself. I kind of thought thats what youre supposed to do with fantasy.
That last sentence is filled with much wisdom.

It's fantasy; it can be whatever you want it to be.

Hman121

Feb 26, 2009
potions are drunk, salves are applied. I guess if you drank a quarter of the bottle it would heal a quarter of your injuries or something.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I've seen characters drink potions in games, can't remember which though. You definitely hear swallowing in most rpg's like oblivion and ect.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I always figured potions were things you drink. Something applied directly to the affected area would be a salve, poultice, balm or ointment.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
0_0

I always looked at it as application to the affected area. Doesn't make sense to drink it because it must be digested and thus would take longer. Applying it directly would cause the area to glow and then be all better. If entire body is damaged, shake it like a soda can and spray yourself when it opens, or jst splash it everywhere like cheap cologne. Seems not everyone thinks that same thing though. It's cold out here all alone.

Most games have the bottle get bigger, thus you have more to dump on yourself, thus you can heal more injuries. Makes sense to me.