Poll: Pottermore Thread

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
(Yeah yeah, not a creative title, I couldn't think of anything else)

In honor of All Hallow's Eve, I figured what could be as Halloween-y as witches and wizards? So I figured I'd share my Pottermore results, just for fun.

My House: Ravenclaw
This surprised me, as I always saw myself as more of a Hufflepuff girl. But I guess the "valuing intelligence, creativity, learning and wit" does appeal to me somewhat. Maybe it's a borderline thing...

My Wand: Redwood, Unicorn Hair, 11 1/2 inches, quite bendy
"Wand-quality redwood is in short supply, yet constant demand, due to its reputation for bringing good fortune to its owner. As is usually the case with wandlore, the general populace have the truth back to front: redwood wands are not themselves lucky, but are strongly attracted to witches and wizards who already possess the admirable ability to fall on their feet, to make the right choice, to snatch advantage from catastrophe."
"Unicorn hair generally produces the most consistent magic, and is least subject to fluctuations and blockages. Wands with unicorn cores are generally the most difficult to turn to the Dark Arts. They are the most faithful of all wands, and usually remain strongly attached to their first owner, irrespective of whether he or she was an accomplished witch or wizard."
- Garrick Ollivander
...That pretty much sums it up.

My Patronus: Dolphin
Hey, I'm okay with that.

So, what did you folks get? Write in and let me know! (But please be honest.)

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
I've signed up too many times thanks to forgetting I did or forgetting my password...

Was a Ravenclaw though

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I came up as Hufflepuff... twice. It's not what I would have chosen, but I suppose it has a certain straightforward honesty to it.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
House: Hufflepuff

Wand: Cypress wood with a dragon heartstring core, 9 1/2" and slightly springy flexibility

Patronus: Hummingbird

No idea what any of it means but alright

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Gryffindor. Which really surprised me - I always thought I'd be more of a Hufflepuff.

Haven't done the other tests.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Currently I'm Ravenclaw but I recall getting both Hufflepuff and Slytherin on separate previous attempts. The wand I got was a rigid 12 and a quarter inch larch wand with a Unicorn hair core; supposed to be consistent and contains hidden talents. The patronus I got was a brown bear although again, I recall doing that before and getting a salmon; I'm not entirely sure what that says about me that my first patronus gets eaten by my second.

In all, I'm happy with my results.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I got Ravenclaw, which is what I expected. Wand was made of ebony with a unicorn hair core, and was 10" long and unyieldingly inflexible; in other words, a wand for one who is convicted in their beliefs and purpose. My patronus was a magpie, which as a denizen of Newcastle-upon-Tyne I find rather pleasing.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
JoJo said:
I came up as Hufflepuff... twice. It's not what I would have chosen, but I suppose it has a certain straightforward honesty to it.
Can't knock it. I imagine the Godfather being a Hufflepuff; gangsters and their loyalty and all.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Hufflepuff. And I'll admit, I was out of sorts about it at first because...well, what Johnny Novgorod said. Griffindor was the only house that really shined throughout the series, but between neglecting to truly explore the worldbuilding aspect of Hogwarts and a few unfortunate scenes, the ultimate takeaway was "Slytherins are cunning and ambitious, Gryffindors are loyal and brave, Ravenclaws are clever, Hufflepuffs weren't good enough to get into the other houses". But that's more due to poor framing than anything else.

I mean, think a moment on the more prominent Hufflepuffs in the franchise? Cedric Diggory? In a different story, the guy could have been the cool older brother that the protagonist tried to emulate/surpass and measured their success by (Alternatively, as the lead in a fanfic the guy would have been the "good at everything, loved by everyone" bad OC). Tonks? Not quite as pronounced (partially attributable to less screentime), but she fits a similar 'cool big sister' archetype. Newt Scamander (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them)? Among the foremost experts in his field (and of course the protagonist of that story, with all the baggage that entails). The house is certainly not without talent, despite the aforementioned takeaway.

By Rowling's account, part of this is attributable to Hufflepuffs not being particularly boastful, as compared to the hotheaded braggarts in Gryffindor, the 'outstanding achievers all come from our house' arrogance of Ravenclaw, and of course Slytherin whose snide snobbishness often crosses over to open bigotry. But when the chips are down?

Well as Rowling said about the final battle, while Slytherins mostly opted not to fight, and Ravenclaws were split on it, both Hufflepuff and Gryffindor overwhelmingly stayed to fight. But as Rowling is quick to point out "the Griffindors comprise of a lot of foolhardy and show-offy people" (noting a link between bravery and showboating), but that "the Hufflepuffs stayed for a different reason. They weren't trying to show off. They weren't being reckless. That's the essence of Hufflepuff House."

That being said, their iconic virtues certainly aren't 'sexy', like the other houses. Gryffindors get bravery and loyalty, Slytherins cunning and ambitious, Ravenclaws got cleverness...Hufflepuff got kind, fair, friendly, hard-working, dependable (very similar to Gryffindor's loyalty, but with weaker emotional imagery)...lots of very good traits, but none that really scream "I'm an assertive high achiever, and I will do great things". But that does not make them unworthy, and I'm perfectly content to cast my lot with a group that embodies those virtues even if it means that they don't get the limelight.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
House: HawkShroud

Knight Armor: Plasteel and Adamantium Knight Paladin

Wargear: Reaper Chainsword, Heavy Battlecanon, MeltaGun, Heavy Stubb Gun

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
MC1980 said:
I'm down with my main man Slytherin.

Black walnut, unicorn hair, "unyielding" flexibility. I'm also 12 inches.

And I got a hippogriff for a patronus, y'all got nothin'.
Now we know who on this forum is evil.

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
TheRawShark's Journal - November 1st, 2017

Was inducted in to school for wizardry. Didn't complain too much, murders going around campus, Justice will be dispensed.
Violently.

Patronus: Sparrowhawk
Wand: Pine wood with a phoenix feather core, 12 ?" and rigid flexibility
House: Slytherin

Hurm, not particularly concerned about house itself, people maybe problematic. Bullies and flamboyant egomaniacs litter the dorm halls. Whores and politicians in the making. Blonde haired sociopath reminds me of Veidt. Possibly homosexual? Mildly overweight girls with dyed hair made strange noises at prospect, likely excitement.

Can't break too many fingers else the nurse will report me, can't stab anyone with wand either.

Keep getting called "Weasley", derogatory term for disgruntled students? Will investigate further.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
OK, I can do this I guess:

Hogwarts House: Gryffindor "Brave, courageous, chivalrous, daring, bold" Yeah, makes sense I'm the kind of person that enters a car on fire with a fire extinguisher to put it out, or tells drug dealers to go fuck themselves, I guess I'm ghetto Gryffindor.

Ilvermorny House: Horned Serpent "Represents the mind. Favours scholars." Not so accurate as I'm mostly uneducated though I do have a thirst for knowledge and favor scholarly characters in RPGs.

Wand: Rowan Wood, Dragon heartstring core, 12" Quite Bendy
-Rowan wood has always been much-favoured for wands, because it is reputed to be more protective than any other, and in my experience renders all manner of defensive charms especially strong and difficult to break. It is commonly stated that no dark witch or wizard ever owned a rowan wand, and I cannot recall a single instance where one of my own rowan wands has gone on to do evil in the world. Rowan is most happily placed with the clear-headed and the pure-hearted, but this reputation for virtue ought not to fool anyone - these wands are the equal of any, often the better, and frequently out-perform others in duels.
-As a rule, dragon heartstrings produce wands with the most power, and which are capable of the most flamboyant spells. Dragon wands tend to learn more quickly than other types. While they can change allegiance if won from their original master, they always bond strongly with the current owner. The dragon wand tends to be easiest to turn to the Dark Arts, though it will not incline that way of its own accord. It is also the most prone of the three cores to accidents, being somewhat temperamental.

Patronus: Hyppogriff, of course, I'd have that I'm a cross-class Rogue-Paladin, there's no worthier mount, or if talking about schools of wizardry Abjurer-Illusionist, my wand screams Bard though, which I guess could work, sneaky Valor Bard with Smites as their chosen Magical Secrets at level 10, yeah that makes sense too, I get to be a know-it-all smiting sneak with 2 attacks, neat.

Don't know much about Harry Potter though, I don't think I've even seen all the movies much less read the books, I do know about D&D Wizardry though, pretty sure I've carefully studied every spell at some point even if I've mostly forgotten by now, I do have written some neat loopholes and some interesting combos somewhere though.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Bump time! And a chance to comment on a specific few posts...

Asita said:
Snipppicus!
I have to admit, that's a very insightful post. I'll certainly have to keep that in mind...

The Raw Shark said:
Snippicus!
Okay, this one made me laugh. 50 Points for doing it in character!

Kaleion said:
Snippicus!
Interesting way of looking at it. I wonder if Harry Potter magic and Dnd magic are even compatible...

Silentpony said:
Snippicus.
...I'd say you're missing the point but that probably was your intention so... yeah.

Okay, I'm not sure if anyone else want to give this thread a look, but I guess I'll leave it up anyway...

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Ravenclaw. I got Slytherin on the first test, before the redesign, but Ravenclaw on the newest version.

Patronus is a thestral, which is just fucking badass.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Anyone remember the Harry Potter flash game they made to promote the first movie? After getting sorted you could play a bunch of minigames and earn points for your house. It was super engaging as a kid. You got to chose a wand, buy a familiar and play quidditch. I'm surprised nobody tried to flesh it out into a full game. That shit would have sold gangbusters. Not sure if it would sell well now that the series is done.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
House: Slytherin

Patronus: Wolf

I can't remember much else to be honest. I miss the old Pottermore to be honest. I feel like there were more fun and games to play. Now I never really go on it.