Poll: Pratchett and Meyer: You Choose

Skilen

Oct 13, 2008
Ok, here's the deal. I made a deal with one of my friends that if I read Twilight, she would read a Terry Pratchett book. But I'm a bit stumped on which book I should lend her. Should I go with Equal rites, Moving Pictures, or The Truth?

I'm leaning toward moving pictures at the moment because I believe it would be a better read for her (she would be able to get more of the allusions and humor), but this is based on the fact that I didn't enjoy Equal Rites or The Truth as much as I did Moving Pictures.

Can I get some of your opinions here? I'm trying to get her hooked on some *good* literature, so fire away.

EDIT: Just realized I left out a "t" in Pratchett. Oopsies.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Goodness knows. If she's likes reading Stephanie Meyer she might be beyond hope.

I'll go for Moving Pictures, rock up with a book called The Truth or Equal rights and she might think you're about to thrust a court room drama on her.

NewGeekPhilosopher

Feb 25, 2009
Get her "Mort". She already likes Vampires, so she's used to Death related stuff right? Well tell her Mort is about a young man who becomes Death's apprentice and falls in love with his adopted daughter.

Mort was what got me into Discworld straight away.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Skilen said:
Ok, here's the deal. I made a deal with one of my friends that if I read Twilight, she would read a Terry Pratchet book. But I'm a bit stumped on which book I should lend her. Should I go with Equal rites, Moving Pictures, or The Truth?

I'm leaning toward moving pictures at the moment because I believe it would be a better read for her (she would be able to get more of the allusions and humor), but this is based on the fact that I didn't enjoy Equal Rites or The Truth as much as I did Moving Pictures.

Can I get some of your opinions here? I'm trying to get her hooked on some *good* literature, so fire away.
Technically, "versus threads" are very much taboo here on the Escapist. The content of this post itself is particularly fair grounds for discussion, though. I'd recommend changing the title before you get reported to high hell.

That said, everything I've read of Pratchett is more or less about the same quality of excellence. So I'm pretty the wrong person to ask about this. Taste is subject, so I'd just suggest you go with your gut. If your gut says Moving Pictures, then go for that.

cas

Mar 27, 2009
I dunno whats more annoying Twilight fans or people who hate Twilight. They get lots of young girls to read they aren't for everyone but nothing is. Get over it :/

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
NewGeekPhilosopher said:
Get her "Mort". She already likes Vampires, so she's used to Death related stuff right? Well tell her Mort is about a young man who becomes Death's apprentice and falls in love with his adopted daughter.

+1 vote for Mort. A great "gateway" book in my opinion.

Also, try to stay away from anything too confusing, like "Theif of Time".

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
The Last Hero was the book which got me into Terry Pratchett.

But Mort is a superb book for a first time reader :D

Skilen

Oct 13, 2008
Nimbus said:
NewGeekPhilosopher said:

+1 vote for Mort. A great "gateway" book in my opinion.
I actually hadn't considered Mort as an option, I thought it'd be a little too weird for her. But, I can see your point... I might have to reread a little bit of it and see what I think.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
I would have to agree on Moving Pictures, it does seem like a much more enjoyable and easy to comprehend book, much better as a "gateway" If you will, into Pratchett humour. Though The Truth was also quite good (not the biggest fan of Equal Rites) Moving pictures does have the many recognised allusions to Hollywood that she might recognise. I'd also recommend maybe Mort or Reaperman, both slightly darker but with more feminine friendly plots, that her Twilight addled brain might comprehend. Just avoid the books featuring vampires, at least at first, if she reads those she'll just come back with "They're not like Edward!!!/whinge".

If she doesn't like them then fear not, you can find new friends...

Just another quick note, try to keep it in the order in which they came, starting half way through the novels about the Watch gets confusing when Vimes goes from honest off his face psycho cop to Knight of the city, same with the introduction of Carrot and his basic character, they have to be followed to really be enjoyed, though even then they are still great characters.
cas said:
I dunno whats more annoying Twilight fans or people who hate Twilight. They get lots of young girls to read they aren't for everyone but nothing is. Get over it :/
Though I will admit there is rather a lot of Twilight hate, there doesn't seem to be particularly much in this thread. A few remarks maybe, but it must be remembered that we are dealing with a huge author in the fantasy (nerdy) community and as such you will find quite a few people who through comparison of literary skill find Mrs Meyer to be full of shit and have the writing ability of a drunk seal.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
What about Carpe Jugulum? That's got vampires in it, -and- is actually a very good commentary on posers of all kinds, for example the poser vampires in it like to take human names, drink wine instead of blood, stay up early and wear sweaters. It's dare I say perfect if your goal is to show up Twilight!

mesh

Mar 24, 2008
Try "Good Omens" written by Pratchett and Gaiman. It's a wonderfully funny and quirky book.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Oh, I just remembered. If you don't want to be tied down with too much storyline, I suggest "Monsterous Regiment", a great standalone book.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I've only read "The Colour of Magic" and thought it was really good. In the end it doesn't matter, I guess pretty most anything beats Twilight.

Skilen

Oct 13, 2008
mesh said:
Try "Good Omens" written by Pratchett and Gaiman. It's a wonderfully funny and quirky book.
I've never read the book myself, I'll have to check it out.

I'm basically looking for a very simple, gateway-ish book for her to read. I would like to try to find a book that would interest her in the rest of the series, that's why I'm staying away from Monstrous Regiment - though it has a little to do with Vimes and the Night Watch, I would rather have her read one more centered around Ankh-Morpork. The "series" seems to flow best when its happening in AM (at least to me it does).

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Skilen said:
mesh said:
I've never read the book myself, I'll have to check it out.

I'm basically looking for a very simple, gateway-ish book for her to read. I would like to try to find a book that would interest her in the rest of the series, that's why I'm staying away from Monstrous Regiment - though it has a little to do with Vimes and the Night Watch, I would rather have her read one more centered around Ankh-Morpork. The "series" seems to flow best when its happening in AM (at least to me it does).
Moving Pictures, Small Gods, Going Postal, Reaperman, Mort or Pyramids are your best options, all good stand alone books that can get her interested, just give her the basic story and see which she picks. Best way to find out what she might like is to ask her.