Poll: Precrime: Yes or No?

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Wasn't the whole point of the movie exposing how a system like that is flawed? I mean I don't remember much of it, but when they set Tom Cruise up they have it so he murders a man who killed his family or something but he doesn't do it and the "victim" commits suicide. I mean punishing someone for something that hasn't happened is just silly and wrong

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
I think it's a ridiculous question, I'd never visit a country that used this method for crime fighting.

There'a a reason that we hold trials, there's also a reason that we don't execute people in most of the (for lack of a less vulgar term) "first world" countries. You can never be certain of someone's guilt shy of witnessing it, and even then there's room for mistaken interpretation of events.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
BlackStar42 said:
You have to judge people by what they've done, not what you think they might do.
The point is that its what you know they'll do in 99% of cases.

OT: No. The margin of error still exists, and if I remember the film correctly its not always explicitly clear how events will unfold.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
Hell no! Freedom is the prime concern in my view. I'll give up a little security to be able to not have every little detail of my life known and managed by forces not only out of my control, but unknown to me.
Captcha: metdus given

The_Vigilant

Jul 13, 2011
conmag9 said:
With the success rate they had? Absolutely.

But what's this? Innocent people are being incarcerated on a very low percentage! Why, it's not at all like our current justice system where the guilty are ALWAYS convicted and the innocent are ALWAYS let free! Oh wait...

Either method has a risk of accidental incarceration. The precrime system actually seems LESS likely than traditional methods of investigation. And it's better in that it stops the crime from happening, rather than just punishing it after the fact.

"Sorry Mr. Example, we totally knew we could have saved your wife, but it wouldn't have been right to arrest the guy for something he was only about to do". If that were said to me, they'd have to send in a second team for murder, at which point I would say the exact same thing to them.
Exactly, exactly, exactly. This was the point I made in a previous post. If you have the same number of false positives in both systems, but one system actually stops murder, you go with the one that's effective.

Also, it's stupid to compare this discussion to airport security because acts of terror are so, so rare. Murder in Washington D.C. on the other hand, is a daily occurrence. And the numbers argument made in that example is equally unfitting because the 99% can't be applied to the general population, only to the visions that the precognitives have, which, according to the movie, are highly accurate in nature. And the movie even said, the "precogs are never wrong" they just "occasionally disagree."

I think one problem with this discussion is that few people understand the nature of the debate. To understand it, one has to understand the movie. Think about it. Over six years, precrime only incarcerated 1100 people but it stopped murder altogether. 1100 people across the whole of D.C. for six years? You know that system isn't just locking people up at random. D.C. will probably have near that many murders in the next two years. The point is, the system works near to perfectly as any human device.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
The movie's title is the answer. The mere existence of minority reports makes the precog system unethical and unusable.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Precrime was done wrong. Tom Clancy was clever, but this sort of idea should've been done differently. Pre-crime should be that a bunch of guys lock you up for your suspected crime for the while that it's suppose to happen. You prevent murder, you do not prevent the man from ever carrying on a fruitful life in which he could've actually accomplished things. The point of pre-crime should be to confront you with what you could do at your worst and make you improve yourself, not damn the people for all time.

Besides that, it really IS suppose to be innocent until proven guilty. Not having done it yet is not having committed it, ergo it is unlawful imprisonment plus cruel and unusual punishment for pre-crime to exist.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Precrime was done wrong. Tom Clancy was clever, but this sort of idea should've been done differently. Pre-crime should be that a bunch of guys lock you up for your suspected crime for the while that it's suppose to happen. You prevent murder, you do not prevent the man from ever carrying on a fruitful life in which he could've actually accomplished things. The point of pre-crime should be to confront you with what you could do at your worst and make you improve yourself, not damn the people for all time.

Besides that, it really IS suppose to be innocent until proven guilty. Not having done it yet is not having committed it, ergo it is unlawful imprisonment plus cruel and unusual punishment for pre-crime to exist.
Was gonna post something else about how all it would take is someone to set you up for murder (like in the movie) for you to get sent away forever, but fuck it. This post is much, much better. Yes for that system, no for the movie system.

Also, it's not a math problem. Not a simple one anyway. (and I like math)