Poll: Prefered Gender: RPGs

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
This is a question to all those lovable RPG fans on the Escapist. While these days, customizing a your character can be as complicated as choosing different races, many possible facial outcomes, different hairstyles, or even different background. However, the one choice that is a staple for every character creator for RPGs out on the market is that of the choice of which gender you will play as.

I began to wonder today just how many people actually play as their own gender in real life. I do know that it is common for people to play the opposite sex at one point, but the question is sill there. What is a person's preferred gender when playing RPGs?

If you do play as your opposing gender, share the reason why, if there is a specific reason.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
Seeing as I normally play older RPGs with multiple non customizable player characters, I like to play as a balance of both. For instance, I'm currently playing Chrono Trigger, so I'm playing as four guys (one of which is a frog and one of which is a robot) and three girls.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Ghostwise said:
I'm always a male. Perhaps it's the sexism buried deep within my soul. I just can't play any game where I have to play as a female. :/
Same here, it feels wrong for me to play as the opposite sex...

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Both. In the KOTOR games I always played as a male, in Fallout 3 I first played as a male and from then on as a female (partly because the perks are better and partly because it's hard to make a guy look under 40, let alone 19 years old like he's supposed to be).

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
It depends on the game... for Mass Effect, I'm usually female. I made this one Shepard that is absolutely perfect and she's my image of Shepard.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
If I'm going to be staring at an ass the entire game, I'll choose a female character.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
When given the choice, I pick whichever I feel the game will be more suited towards.

KotOR 1 - Female
KotOR 2 - Male
ME 1 & 2 - Male
Jade Empire - Female
Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 - Male
NWN - Female
NWN2 - Male
Morrowind - Female
Oblivion - Male
Fallout 1 & 2 - Male
Fallout 3 - Female

LOTOR - Male
CoH - Female
Hellgate London - Male
Guild Wars - Female

Generally if I'm playing a Fighter type, I will pick male and if I'm playing a Stealth type I will pick female.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
I play as my own gender if I have a choice. Maybe it's to assist in feeling a connection with my character, maybe it's just my immature personality, maybe I am slowly becoming a woman hater, I dunno.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I always play as a male and make the character look as much like me as possible. I feel it's a lot easier to become immersed in the world around you if the player is essentially me. Ergo I never play female.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Anticitizen_Two said:
Seeing as I normally play older RPGs with multiple non customizable player characters, I like to play as a balance of both. For instance, I'm currently playing Chrono Trigger, so I'm playing as four guys (one of which is a frog and one of which is a robot) and three girls.
Well, I'm talking more along the lines of RPGs where you get to make your own character, as in a character that you personally made for yourself., not choosing which pre-made characters you want in your party (with their own different styles of combat that you might want for different situations).

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Ghostwise said:
I don't quite understand this. I'm not staring at my characters ass when I am playing. I'm paying attention to the environment and what the hell I'm supposed to do.
I've actually heard a lot of people say this. People have different play styles, that's all. In fact that's why I made this thread, to hear how other people play their games.