Poll: Preferred length in books?

WhiteShadow2401

Jul 10, 2009
For some time I've been wondering this. What do people prefer more? Long or short books?

Please comment your answer, thank you!

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
Length doesn't really matter to me as long as I like what I'm reading. Sometimes when a book is so good I'm a little upset when it's finished. Kind of like Deathly Hallows.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
It's not the length of the book; it's the words behind the book!

Yeah...

Seriously though, despite the fact I'm an English student and work in a book shop, I usually prefer shorter books. Not super short (though there are some awesome novella out there) but...I don't know, I like reading books knowing that I'll finish it in a reasonable amount of time - otherwise I end up in the situation I'm in now....reading about 5 books at once.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
One of my favorite books is Les Miserables. One of my favorite book series is Wheel of Time. Extreme length is not a barrier to me. A book should be as long as it needs to be to tell its story, no longer, no shorter.

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
Length doesn't matter if it's a good book.

With that being said, good character development for several characters generally takes 350+ pages ... L@@K Winds of War, War and Remembrance for that idea.

Albiet, there are good books that are just 'brain candy' for the casual/intensive reader.

I don't know, it depends on how busy I am as to how long of a book I read.

But in all fairness, length of a book is the last thing I think about (unless it's to short.)

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Any length can be good. I think the Epic of Gilgamesh is one of the best stories told in all of human history, and it's only about 60 pages when translated. But the books I like tend to be long :)

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
long un's. however, i also do like shorter books (maybe 200-300 pages) providing they are part of a series, so the plot doesn't just stop there. if it is just the one book though, make it a big one with lotsa detail!

anaphysik

Nov 5, 2008
400 pages is a "short" book? Hah!
Most of my favourite books are more like 200 pages (e.g. Catcher in the Rye) or less (like Heart of Darkness, which clocks in around a *highly* deceptive 80 pg.).

Raskolnikov34

Jun 10, 2011
I mainly read Russian novels so, yeah, I tend to enjoy long, complex books that take a month or more to work through...

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
Well it really all depends on quality. I can't imagine a discworld book less than 400 pages or so but as I was reading the Davinci Code I was banging my head against a wall waiting for it to. Fucking. END. So...yeah quality is more important than quantity,

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
No preference. Even a 200 page book feels much meatier than a film, so it really comes down to how much the story needs.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Most of the time I read them they are in the 400-500 range in terms of pages unless it's a omnibus and those run into the 700's usally.

I think the longest book I've read is either "A Thousand Sons" or "The First Heretic" from the Horus Heresy seris of books.

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
dalek sec said:
Most of the time I read them they are in the 400-500 range in terms of pages unless it's a omnibus and those run into the 700's usally.

I think the longest book I've read is either "A Thousand Sons" or "The First Heretic" from the Horus Heresy seris of books.
Have you ready the Ciaphas Cain series? Those omnibuses usually clock in at around 800-900 pages.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
febel said:
dalek sec said:

Have you ready the Ciaphas Cain series? Those omnibuses usually clock in at around 800-900 pages.
Yep! Read both of them and honestly? I think the Ravenor omnibus is the longest one they have, clocking around +850 pages in it. It was a long ass read but it was good. :D

The two mini-stories in that series helped bump up the pages too I think.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The length of the book doesn't really matter to me. Some books are really long, but with the majority of the pages being filled with things that don't really contribute to the plot and the overall story *cough* War and Peace *cough cough*, whereas some shorter books will have longer and more epic tales but described in a little less detail. Either way, the length doesn't really matter.