Poll: Press X to be a *****!

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I have the opposite problem that was laid out in the forum topic post. I have huge trouble playing Lawful Good characters. It's just so inconvenient. It's almost like Lawful Good stifles my imagination. Chaotic Neutral is my favorite alignment because you can take any number of different paths to your goal because your morality doesn't really restrict your options.

A good example of this is how my rogue met a kindly old rich woman who was going to donate a large sum to the local orphanage. So, I stole the money and donated it to the orphanage myself. This was part of a larger scheme to build up a good name for my character to create a nice guy image even though I rob everybody. A local law enforcement agent spotted my plan and started to blackmail me, so I stole the ruler's crown and planted it on the agent, simultaneously gaining more good reputation for finding the "culprit" while eliminating a source of bother.

Lawful Good characters can't come up with anything that complex. Or maybe they can, and I fail to see it. Probably why I don't play Lawful Good...and why I hate Paladins.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
I almost always play as a good guy, but not out of choice so much as nessecity. Very few games allow you to play as a bad guy without missing out on a huge chunk of gameplay.

Eg: An NPC requests my help in the matter I can:
A: Take the good option and help the NPC out.
B: Take the good/neutral option of accepting the quest but for selfish motivation.
C: Take the evil/neutral option of leaving the NPC to their fate and miss out on the quest.
D: Take the evil option and kill the NPC, missing out on the quest.

Why would I ever choose to take option C or D? I didn't buy a game not to play it. At least not on my first run.

The only game I can think of where I was allowed to play as an evil character is in Dragon Age, thanks to the well thought out repercussions of your alignment.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Most recently, I played Star Wars The Force Unleashed and I almost always choose the good ending where you fight the emperor but only because he is easier to fight than Darth Vader.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Really you found it hard to be evil? I found it hard to do everything and stay good

So many weapons require you to be a dick to upgrade them (I had to kill 40 nobles so now my castle staff runs in fear of me every time I return...) and there's not really any quests to do to be good in the game, well besides the rare moral choice

Morality only kicks in after you become king/queen really since the start of the game choices mean nothing to morality

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
I thought I was a pretty nice guy in Fable 3, but the game marks me in neutral, slightly more to the side or immoral. I'm not overly charitable, but I'm trying to win people's hearts. I just don't give second chances to people who have a long history of being evil.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
I'm generally a power crazed malevolent bastard because it appeals to my sadism and the fact I'm not magical enough to do it in real life (bloody reality and its poor gameplay >_>) but the problem I have with this is that it often shuts off chunks in the game: I have to be nice to people in Fallout if I don't want them to exit the dialogue and never speak to me again! Which is why I was so pleased with my recent purchase of Star Wars: Knights of the Ole Republic 2: I can be a megomanic Sith monster without immediately being cut off from certain quests!

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
some times ill do that...and be like ahhh crud i shouldnt of done that....evil people dont save children they set the house on fire....but yeah....you just need to keep the "evil" in mind

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I'm always the good guy. Games tend to reward players somehow for being the good guy. Basic example: Bioshock. You can harvest the little sisters for adam, or you can save them and get only half as much adam. However, if you save 3 little sisters then you get a gift basket which gives you more adam than you would have got from harvesting and occasionally some cool plasmid or tonic to go with it. It's like this in most games with a moral choice system - evilness rewards you in the short term whilst being good works out much better in the long run. I suppose being a total bastard to everyone is it's own reward.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I'm pretty good most of the time, that said, if a character pisses me off enough, I won't mind killing them. And I also don't mind being evil when there really isn't any other choice.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
ssgt splatter said:
Most recently, I played Star Wars The Force Unleashed and I almost always choose the good ending where you fight the emperor but only because he is easier to fight than Darth Vader.
I never got that. Why is the Emperor easier than Darth Vader when

Vader was supposed to be within an inch of his life due to a royal ass kicking from Starkiller immediately beforehand

OT: For a game with a good/evil system, I play it at least twice. Once good, once bad, and if I play it anymore than that, I play my personality in real life (i.e. you do your thing, I'll do my thing, but if you piss me off I will fucking end you.)

Dabox1

Jul 16, 2010
i have the exact same problem but in reverse, whenever a game gives you moral choices i always try to be the good guy - but inherently end up the enslaving overlord of all evil. Don't ask me why. Fallout New Vegas for example, i sought out to be a decent guy with good karma, flash forward a few hours and I'm standing around crucified prisoners and cannibalizing on corpses...WHATS WRONG WITH ME?!

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I don't like people, and I'd happily inflict suffering on people I especially dislike.
So I doubt I'd be considered 'good'.

EboMan7x

Jul 20, 2009
Me and the writers of the game often have disputes about what is good. The biggest conundrum I've encountered is that of The New Californian Republic in FNV.

I certainly want to be on their good side when the shit hits the fan, and they are better than Caesars legion (hey I take racism over slavery of whoever any day), but it just seems that in almost all of the quests they ask me to do I end up royally fucking some other people I've been trying to build up a reputation in.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
I don't have a problem with mass murder in Oblivion but when it comes to dialog choices I just can't be dick.For example I hate doing the Chaos route in Devil summoner 2 because it requires being a dick to Akane and I really don't want to.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I am good most of the times, but sometimes I can do annoying or bad stuff...

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I usually go with what I think would be the best choice for the situation, usually the good choice.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
I tend to be nice but If I do something evil I'll do it for thee greater good... Or so I think.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Djinn8 said:
I almost always play as a good guy, but not out of choice so much as nessecity. Very few games allow you to play as a bad guy without missing out on a huge chunk of gameplay.

Eg: An NPC requests my help in the matter I can:
A: Take the good option and help the NPC out.
B: Take the good/neutral option of accepting the quest but for selfish motivation.
C: Take the evil/neutral option of leaving the NPC to their fate and miss out on the quest.
D: Take the evil option and kill the NPC, missing out on the quest.

Why would I ever choose to take option C or D? I didn't buy a game not to play it. At least not on my first run.

The only game I can think of where I was allowed to play as an evil character is in Dragon Age, thanks to the well thought out repercussions of your alignment.
Bingo. This is the main problem. Developers confuse "evil" with "irrational hatred of profitable sidequests".

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Neutral, I usually do what suits me. Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World had a good ending and some bad endings, where the bad endings where just sad "You're doomed to give up life as a person for an eternity of boredom" so I went wth being the good guy. Also I had no idea tere was a good or bad ending so I just randomly got the good one by not taking crap from those who wanted to push me down. Sounds pretty neutral to me.