Poll: Problems With Anime?

DIEDIEDIE765

Jun 30, 2010
The angst/drama, mostly. But that's only slightly higher than most of the retarded stories, and especially the dialog. Even without translating it, it's completely retarded. Especially when it's "power of love", "I always win because I fight for my friends" nonsense. The last anime I can remember liking was DB/DBZ, and most of the more "dramatic" dialog was actually pretty alright. Not necessarily great, but... come on. How awesome is it to hear "I am the hope of the universe! I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth." *dramatic volcano explosion* "ALLY TO GOOD! NIGHTMARE TO YOU! I AM A SUPER SAIYAN!"

Shivers.

And while, as a show, I don't like Toppa Tengen Gurren Lagaan or however you spell it, I do like a lot of the quotes.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
None / The Fanbase's Hardcore Lifers

---

I wouldn't want a steady diet of it, but it's a nice change of pace when you've been exposed to a lot of western media. I like the conceptual freedom demonstrated by the synopsis' of projects that get green-lit for OVA production and the general technical standards to which they're produced.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I originally got turned off it not because of anime but because sequential series and tv don't go together; I prefer it when I can watch a good bit of the series in one sitting, but more importantly, I FUCKING DON'T WANT THE ASSHOLES TO RESTART THE STORYLINE RANDOMLY SO I HAVE TO WAIT 50 FUCKING WEEKS TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS. Fuck Adult Swim...

Anyways, most of the anime I see is about some average teenage boy/girl having something crazy happen to them (gain a power, some magic person shows up, get sent to some world, etc) and then having to do something based around it. The formula seems like it would get tiring after 5 minutes.

Donomite_777

Apr 18, 2010
There seems to be one problem that sticks out to me and that is this: the anime-tors don't seem to even try to sync the mouths to actual words, which is great for small amv paradies but in actual tv viewing, mouths just opening and closing to any noise takes away from the story and emotion from which ever anime. This of coarse means that if they do sync up the lips to the words on scrips it would not be english, instead chinese/japanese/cantanese/vetamese/ where ever the anime was made first.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Smugleaf said:
FreelanceButler said:
"Desu desu desu, BIG HEAD REACTION"
Why did you feel the need to put desu three times?
Why?
To get across the point hyper-cutesy stuff annoys me.
Why, does saying "Desu" three times summon some kind of demon, Bloody Mary style?

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Jabberwock xeno said:
My problem with anime:

Dragon Ball ended. it was a jewel encrusted orb of awesome.
See, I could never get this - OK, well, I found some of the characters to be interesting, but the main problem I had was that the way they did the episodes, it would be 90% filled with long scenes that flicked back and forth between two fighters with pulsating forehead veins who stood there heavy breathing and saying nothing more complex than 'NNGghghghgnngngngghh...!'. THIS IS BORING. And then the episode will end and the announcer eill say 'On the NEXT episode of DBZ...' and they'll show a picture of more of this NNNNghghgg stuff. You could never appreciate the interesting characters, because they never SAID anything!

Perhaps I just never got into it - I certainly don't mind other people liking it, I just can't understand them, sadly =(.

OT: The only problem I usually have with anime is that the girls are either the ball-busting hyper-masculinised type, or the doe-eyed, eager-to-please, fragile type. Can't we have more balanced, intelligent females in anime? (Yes I know there are some. I just want more, is all).

Indignation837

Apr 11, 2010
I don't see why people get so bent out of shape about this whole argument. To me, anime is just like regular western tv: there are a few shows that are really good and almost anyone can enjoy (Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, and Fullmetal Alchemist come to mind), some shows that aren't as great and only appeal to certain groups of people (Bleach, Dragonball Z, Gurren Lagaan, One Piece, etc.), and then a vast majority of absolute shit.

I think the main problem most people have with anime is more to do with its fans. I've been to a couple of anime conventions and I was able to enjoy myself, but only after flushing any expectations of normal social interaction down the toilet. Some of them are just so childish and/or obsessive that they give the entire group a bad name. That's not to say that there aren't totally reasonable and sane anime fans, it's just that the worst members of the group give the entire population a bad reputation - not unlike the Westboro Baptist church and the negative reputation that they give Christianity as a whole.

I also find it hilarious that, having a friend who actually lived in Japan for several years, most anime fans don't understand that the Japanese don't really care about anime. To them, anime is like what Spongebob Squarepants is to us westerners - amusing to watch here and there, but not a major part of your life. In fact, the Japanese make fun of western anime culture, because it's not a reflection of their actual way of life in the least.

TheSeventhLoneWolf

Mar 1, 2009
I dislike it when people copy things from an Anime, or things like that. I dislike series types of anime since much of it tends to be filler and idle conversations. (A non anime related example) Imagine your favourite webcomic with one page released in a week; where you're expecting something interesting but instead you get a fraction of a retort stretched a little over a few pages. Good moments are usually worth the wait.

The art style varies greatly from being terribly bland and flat, to being extremely detailed and vivid but that really just attracts the fanbase that favours it, the great diversity of it seems all the same to some people, which is what other people I know tend to be 'iffy' on.

I dislike the common character types in the Animes I have seen, The little kid, the heroic type, the love interest, the other love interest, the heroic guys best friend and the villians. I'm not complaining by saying these are bad types to use in media, but in anime if anything they do little to nothing to make the personality subtle. That's my own opinion anyway.

May 17, 2010
AwesomeExpress said:
I enjoy anime just fine, I just treat it like every other form of media; there are some that I like and some that I don't.
Agree with this. Mind you I just don't like Morris Dancing, so I can understand where people are coming from.

allways2edlast

Jul 29, 2010
I'v liked anime for a long time. Since before I now it was called "anime" and came from Japan. But even I think a number of the fans can turn people away from it.(Thats putting it lightly). They get their paints in at twist over the dumpist things: "Its not a cartoon its anime," "Its not a comic its a manga", "Naruto is a million times better than this" (Ok that last one was for the Narutards). I can make this list all day but you get the point.

But for me its the Oversexualization, exspill at first with me. I see that with a lot of newer animes I've see, were you get girles often underaged with boobs as bog or bigger than there heads. you get some animes that can be good but the Oversexualization will turn people away because of how much its used. AKA hight school of the dead. Aswell as animes that just shamelessly just about panty shot and big tites and stuff like that. Wich is beyond ridiculous and is just sad.

I could go on about stuff like: sameold ploit, and charactor But I think I'v said enough.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Yeah...the oversexualization is insane....it's just like i'm watching an anime and REALLY starting to get into it and starting to respect it when i get some girl grabbing another girl's chest area. Or something along those lines.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
To be honest. It's way more interesting than western animations. I have no problems with it what so ever.

smearyllama said:
My biggest issue? It's hard to find on Netflix's instant queue, which make it really hard to watch (I've been trying to get into it for a while) without using a shady site and/or pirating it.
Try http://www.animefreak.tv/ if you don't like waiting.

ArchAngelKira

Mar 25, 2010
The thing is some people don't know how to expess it as if they're obsessed with it. That kind of thing should only be done in the conventions that have them. So how could you tell someone u "like" anime to, I LOVE anime?

NinjaHermit

Nov 18, 2010
Anime is a mass medium. It runs the gamut of genres and styles. There are good ones, so-so ones, and crappy ones. Same as video games, books, etc.
But not every mass medium is for everyone. As diverse and wide-spread as they are, some people think video games are stupid and lump them all together.
It's one thing if you just don't like animation as a whole, but saying you dislike /all/ anime only because you've seen a couple you didn't like for whatever reason is like reading a few bad books or watching a couple bad movies and deciding you don't like books or movies.
A lot of the cons people are listing, like "bad writing/acting", "weird fans", "too much fan-service"... Well, couldn't they be applied to most other mass mediums as well? Everything has pros and cons to it, and one man's "con" is another man's "pro" (or vice versa).

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
justnotcricket said:
Jabberwock xeno said:
My problem with anime:

Dragon Ball ended. it was a jewel encrusted orb of awesome.
See, I could never get this - OK, well, I found some of the characters to be interesting, but the main problem I had was that the way they did the episodes, it would be 90% filled with long scenes that flicked back and forth between two fighters with pulsating forehead veins who stood there heavy breathing and saying nothing more complex than 'NNGghghghgnngngngghh...!'. THIS IS BORING. And then the episode will end and the announcer eill say 'On the NEXT episode of DBZ...' and they'll show a picture of more of this NNNNghghgg stuff. You could never appreciate the interesting characters, because they never SAID anything!

Perhaps I just never got into it - I certainly don't mind other people liking it, I just can't understand them, sadly =(.

OT: The only problem I usually have with anime is that the girls are either the ball-busting hyper-masculinised type, or the doe-eyed, eager-to-please, fragile type. Can't we have more balanced, intelligent females in anime? (Yes I know there are some. I just want more, is all).
For one thing, the anime was to blame for dragging it out, it had a lot less yelling (well, not less, but it just wasn't like 30 or 40 seconds of it at a time) and faster paced in the manga. It had more blood and lanquange too.

Besides it's Dragon Ball Z.

It has robots, dinosaurs, martial arts, ninjas, demons, monsters, aliens, and every main character can blow up the god damned solar system, what else could you want? It never took it'self seriously in the first place, so you can't say it doesn't make any sense as a con.