Poll: PS1 library or PS2 library?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I was just looking at random videos of 100 random games on their respective console and looking at the PS1 and PS2 I would argue that the PS1 had the better library of games then the PS2 in terms of variety.

I mean the PS1 edges PS2 just by having a library of both 2D and 3D games so it covered all sorts of genres suited to either dimensions. Like the PS1 had both 2D and 3D JRPGs

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
I can't recall a single notable 2-D game from the PS1 at the moment, with the exception of text box based RPGs (Many of which were bummed from the SNES). And I'm not exactly certain that particular, ancient sub-genre is something that makes a library 'better.'

Got any arguments besides old Final Fantasies?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
AccursedTheory said:
Let's see here:

Arc the Lad
Azure Dream
Brigandine The Legend of Forsena
Breath of Fire
Dragon Quest 7
Grandia
King's Field
Kartia the word of fate
Legend of Mana
Persona
Saga Frontier
Saiyuki: Journey West
Suikoden
Tales of Destiny
Thousand Arms
Valkyrie Profile
Vandal Hearts
Wild Arms
And there is more I can write down

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
AccursedTheory said:
Let's see here:
Well, if you just want to throw game names out there...

Dark Cloud
Dark Cloud 2
Front Mission 4
Dragon Quest VIII
Disgaea
Disgaea II
Persona III
Persona IV
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Final Fantasy XI
Tales of Legendia
Grandia III
Tales of Symphonia
.hack
Metal Gear Solid
Shadow of Colossus
God of War
God of War II
Grand Theft Auto III
Bully
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal

And so on and so forth. Really, we can do this for days if you like. Or, and these are my preferred options:

1. Offer an argument that isn't just a mountain of names, which can be easily countered with more of the same
2. Everyone just agrees 'Which of these two consoles with colossal libraries is best' is a silly discussion to have, since one or both of them isn't a post SNES Nintendo system or the original XBox. Now, a comparison of some of those might be interesting...

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
PS2, because I generally loathe the PS1 and that gen of gaming in general, because the games are ugly as sin.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm going to nominate PS2 for a few reasons:

-If we assume Sturgeon's Law to be true, than the PS2 has the advantage in that it has a larger library. Ergo, if 90% of everything is crap, the PS2 trumps the PS1.

-Graphics. Along the line, praising graphical fidelity somehow became a sin, but thinking of the PS1 to PS2 leap, we get the transition from polyganal models to far smoother ones.

-On the personal note, I've got more attachment to my PS2 library. In the PS1 era, the N64 had me covered, thank you very much. Come the next era, my first console was the Dreamcast, and while that certainly had a quality selection, it was a very small one. My PS2 library is more expansive, and I've spent more time with them.

It's testament to the PS2 that you can walk into your average game retailer and find second-hand PS2 games with little problem. You can't say that for the other consoles of the era (at least in my experience).

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
PS2 hands down for me. Some truly classic games which still hold up today, and genre changing/defining ones too such as GTA & God of War.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
Well my opinion is highly biased since I never owned a PS1 and the PS2 is my favourite console. And I'm still discovering and buying PS2 games. I've done plenty of searching through the PS1 library and I feel like I've found most of what it has to offer my tastes. I'm not bashing the PS1, it had some fantastic games, but I just really love the PS2.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
I would say PS2, as the PS1 being an early 3d games console means a lot of its library really has not held up very well at all. And I don't mean graphics (I find early blocky polygonal models have a certain charm to them), but gameplay mechanics and design.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
PS1 simply because it had more RPGs that I loved.

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Tactics
Breath of Fire III
Suikoden II
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete

Just so many great RPGs on the system. The PS1 is probably the best console of all time for a RPG fan. As well as other great games like Metal Gear Solid and Tekken.

Not that I don't love the PS2 and it has some great RPGs as well, just saiyan.

Skatalite

May 8, 2007
The PS2, partly because of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, but also:

09philj said:
because I generally loathe the PS1 and that gen of gaming in general, because the games are ugly as sin.
Most (if not all) of those early 3D games have aged awfully.

Sharia

Nov 30, 2015
To be honest, they are very close, but if I had to pick one, I would have to give the edge to the PS1. Both the PS1 and PS2 libraries still house a large majority of the best games made to date, I personally don't like to compete the one with the other.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Gotta vote for PS2. I like games on both but, aside from the Crash Bandicoot series, I'm struggling to think of any PS1 games I'd actually want to play again today. There are games I loved at the time, the 3D Gex games for example, but I played them again recently and boy was that a mistake. Should have left my nostalgia-ridden memories of that game unsullied.
I feel like PS2 games just hold up better. The Jak & Daxter games, the Ratchet & Clank games, and Okami are games just off the top of my head that I've played in the last few years and they were just as good as I remember.

Plus the PS2 has Persona 4 and Kingdom Hearts II which are easily two of my favourite ever games, so I guess I'm a little biased.

Oinodaemon

Apr 9, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
I can't recall a single notable 2-D game from the PS1 at the moment, with the exception of text box based RPGs (Many of which were bummed from the SNES). And I'm not exactly certain that particular, ancient sub-genre is something that makes a library 'better.'

Pretty sure Symphony of the Night was on PS1

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hawki said:
-Graphics. Along the line, praising graphical fidelity somehow became a sin, but thinking of the PS1 to PS2 leap, we get the transition from polyganal models to far smoother ones.
PS1 was also in the awkward transitional phase. Even if they had modern graphical technology, they would likely be ridiculously dated in three months.