Poll: PS4/XBO available in your town.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
We got our PS4 because we asked at a store about 10 minutes after someone had cancelled their pre-order. Other than that we'd be waiting until March. There's plenty of Ones though, and if you're not in the know you would probably not even realise the WiiU exists.

Btw that's in Adelaide, Australia.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I've seen both at various stores in my area, though PS4s are predictably rarer than XBones. For example, at a local Target, I saw available Xbones outnumber available PS4s three to one.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
At the place I work were cleared out of PS4's until at least January. We have a shit-tonne of Xbox ones, were selling them at a good rate too.
It's not like the Xbox isn't selling it just seems to be both less popular and better supplied than the PS4.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Spotty at best. The only way I got a PS4 was by ringing the local GAME multiple times until they gave me a time when one might be available (it was a preorder that hadn't been claimed and was released back into general stock).

As for the Xbox One, I just happened to walk into a local Argos (UK retailer, sells all sorts of things) and they had one left (they'd had a shipment just that day).

I've noticed the Xbox One in stock at a few online retailers but they get snapped up quick. The PS4 is either not getting restocked or the stock is gone so quickly you barely have time to react.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Good answers so far. Seems like most areas are more similar to mine at the moment. We had another round of campers at Best Buy last night and the status is largely unchanged around town. Perhaps there will be some trade-ins after Christmas.

RicoADF said:
Lightknight said:
So, that got me thinking. What is it like in other cities and states? I've called Best Buy, Walmart, Target, GameStop, Toys R Us, and a local gaming store I prefer to support. Here, most stores have XBOs but no PS4s at all. Also, once they get PS4s most stores even require you purchase a bundle, driving the cost up by $100+ for the ps4 by adding the $60 cost of two or even three games. GameStop has this awful bundle that gives you two games and an additional controller for $150 more than they'd cost if you bought them all seperately. Even Amazon is selling those consoles for hundreds more ($699 for a standard console at the time of this post, $840 for a Battlefield PS+ bundle). And yet still somehow they sell out within a few hours.
Strange, the store I got my PS4 from (pre-ordered way back in June) offered me a bundle which saved me $50 and added the playstation camera (so I saved an extra $70 I think?). Over here some stores have both sold out but the XBO can still be found, and even those that are sold out they say the next order will be in next week and that if you put your name down you will get one, but if you put your name down for PS4 you won't get one till February at best. I've asked at a few stores about their PS4 to XBO ratio and every one of them have said they have sold atleast 4 PS4's to each XBO, which going by how much easier it is to get a XBO it sounds about right.
That's interesting. I figured that there would be some stores that offered it at the normal price, but didn't think there'd be any discounts. I guess that's why I made the thread though. To learn what other people are seeing. What was the end price of the dunble and what all did you get? Perhaps it was a more expensive bundle that someone dropped the preorder for and they thought they'd get more money out of you? The original preorder prices were good deals. The current ones seem to just make you buy games at full price.

StormShaun said:
Sony should have favored other countries, not just America.
Why? Consoles sold in the US have a far higher attach rate than in other countries. Additionally, the US is where Sony's biggest competitor is strongest and it's best to strike right now while MS is weak. That will benefit them in future generations thanks to MS's missteps this time around. They may never get this opportunity again. It would make very little business sense not to favor the American market. Do you feel like Sony has an obligation to make poor business decisions?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Well in my town the only thing that sold games was our local Blockbusters which said earlier they wouldnt stock them, and the local one closed down today.

But the next town over, i dont know i havnt checked. Game is usually pretty good with its stock so imagine they have them in there, or failing that i would just go on the internet.

Capch- Forty Two, does that answer your question OP?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Lightknight said:
That's interesting. I figured that there would be some stores that offered it at the normal price, but didn't think there'd be any discounts. I guess that's why I made the thread though. To learn what other people are seeing. What was the end price of the dunble and what all did you get? Perhaps it was a more expensive bundle that someone dropped the preorder for and they thought they'd get more money out of you? The original preorder prices were good deals. The current ones seem to just make you buy games at full price.
Well I wouldn't call it a discount per say. To explain, back in June I pre-ordered my PS4, a 2nd controller, Killzone: Shadowfall, Assasin's Creed 4 and Watch Dogs. Now in November I got a call from the manager who called to inform me that there was a collection coming out in mid December (release date 27th Nov here in Australia) and since she knew I had ordered a 2nd controller and KZ she wanted to offer me the option to wait 2 weeks and get the pack which also came with the Playstation Camera. The pack cost $50 less than the items sold individually, thus the "saved $50" and the camera was basically a free extra. Funny enough my PS4 came in a week earlier than originally expected, so I only had to wait an extra week and got a niffty "Player Edition" box, so win win :) I also switched to the PS3 version of AC4 and grabbed the upgrade on PSN as it was on sale at the time, saved myself another $30 or so (the collectors pack with the statue).

pha kin su pah said:
you could swing a cat and pick up an xbox in Australia, ps4? you'd be waiting till January probably.
Last I heard it's backed up to February now.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Walked into Costco yesterday and saw about 9 XBOs all stacked up. I got excited and started looking around for a PS4. I asked a guy if they had any and he laughed and said, "No, they sold out online in two hours. They couldn't even ship them to the warehouse."

Best Buy also had some in stock online yesterday for legitimate prices (no standalone consoles but the bundles weren't padded with non-costs).

RicoADF said:
Lightknight said:
Well I wouldn't call it a discount per say. To explain, back in June I pre-ordered my PS4, a 2nd controller, Killzone: Shadowfall, Assasin's Creed 4 and Watch Dogs. Now in November I got a call from the manager who called to inform me that there was a collection coming out in mid December (release date 27th Nov here in Australia) and since she knew I had ordered a 2nd controller and KZ she wanted to offer me the option to wait 2 weeks and get the pack which also came with the Playstation Camera. The pack cost $50 less than the items sold individually, thus the "saved $50" and the camera was basically a free extra. Funny enough my PS4 came in a week earlier than originally expected, so I only had to wait an extra week and got a niffty "Player Edition" box, so win win :) I also switched to the PS3 version of AC4 and grabbed the upgrade on PSN as it was on sale at the time, saved myself another $30 or so (the collectors pack with the statue).
Ah, ok. The wait two weeks bit makes all the more sense. Do you happen to know what their in-store deals are now? They may have made a couple hundred dollars off of the console on another consumer and so the add-on was worth it to them.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
When I went to my local Walmart the other day, there where plenty of XBox Ones available (At least 4), but there were absolutely no PS4's there.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I went to a Walmart today during my lunch break due to the site claiming they had them in stock. The workers there told me that the shipment had been delayed and that they only got ps3s. This information did not help me any.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Res Plus said:
Here in the UK you can't get either in mainstream stores at all. My mate got one because he was desperate for it but he paid about an extra £100 and secured it off the internet. He got BF4 and AC4 with it. I have played it and it was pretty good.

Edit - posts seem to be suggesting PS4 selling quicker than Xbox. If I were a console gamer I'd be getting that PS4 too.
The other possibility is that Microsoft is simply able to manufacture more units at any time than Sony. Supposedly they're (MS) able to manufacture something like 5 times the numbers that Sony can get. However, globally, the numbers are very much in Sony's favor with only Microsoft's launch week exceeding Sony's sales in any given week. In the US they appear to be neck and neck. Sony had a larger launch but MS has been a little bit higher on the week by week sales since.

US:
Nov 16th (week from date): PS4 = 963k, XBO = 0
Nov 23rd: PS4 = 93k, XBO = 652k
Nov 30th: PS4 = 165k, XBO = 317k
Dec 7th: PS4 = 102k, XBO = 164k

Total US numbers: PS4 = 1.3m, XBO = 1.1m

Seeing as the XBO is a week behind in sales, it's pretty much neck and neck. Globally, it looks like the ps4 is currently 500k over the XBO.

So there is credence to the idea that there simply aren't enough PS4s being produced. But 33% higher sales while XBOs are still largely available online and in stores indicates that the ps4 is certainly the more popular of the two. How would ps4 be doing if they could keep up with demand? We'll never know.

Apr 24, 2008
Xbones seem to be readily available from certain retailers and backlogged from others. PS4's are sold out everywhere unless you're willing to buy one of the extortionate bundles that have been put together.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Res Plus said:
Great post mate, thanks, very interesting figures. I guess the flip side of this discussion, is will either giant actually make any money? I have seen reports (admittedly I didn't scrutinise too deeply) that suggested Xbox was costing Microsoft about $1.5bn a year, it was effectively buying market share. Sony, on the other hand, have all sorts of issues fiscal issue.
The last generation was particularly rocky for both at the start. Sony took huge hits on every ps3 sold for years and MS had the epic RROD that cost them another $1b.

From what Sony said, they're not losing anything close to that at all. Maybe even breaking even. From what I've seen, the cost of manufacturing and materials comes to $381. With the cost of a controller being $18 and retail being $59, I'm thinking they're likely in profit territory on most sales which is incredibly rare for console launches nowadays.

http://www.gamefront.com/sony-probably-loses-money-on-each-ps4/

The PS3, if you recall, was something like $800 to make and retailed (unsuccessfully) at $599.

I'm not sure about Microsofts specific situation. From what I understand, there was more to the numbers than what meets the eyes but I CERTAINLY wouldn't place any faith in the future of my XBO library with talks of selling it off. Depending on how much of those losses were just R&D for the XBO and something else then it may not be as dire as it looks. But this is a major concern for me and perhaps the number one reason that I'm not going with the XBO. Why would a buy a console that the manufacturer is considering getting rid of the division that owns it? It doesn't help them that I prefer Sony's exclusives by far either but there's a lot of non-game related issues with the XBO that has me more concerned.

Haha, it just occured to me that Nintendo could buy Microsoft's gaming division... that'd be... epic and confusing at the same time.

crewreav said:
Went to Saturn on monday. Absolutely no PS4s but several dozen XBOs.
Saturn, I guess that's a gaming store from your region?

Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Xbones seem to be readily available from certain retailers and backlogged from others. PS4's are sold out everywhere unless you're willing to buy one of the extortionate bundles that have been put together.
Ah, so you're having those bundle prices too where you're from? They can get quite steep.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Res Plus said:
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Lightknight said:
Ah, so you're having those bundle prices too where you're from? They can get quite steep.
My mate bought one, got Assassin Creed and Battlefield 4 plus one controller for about £100 over the actual price. He is extremely happy with it, wanted it for Christmas, so I guess everyone is a winner (sort of).
Do you know if he got that price as a preorder or post launch? That is actually a great deal.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
From what i can gather, the PS4 has been sold out since release wheras the xbone is still available in my area. I'm not sure if that is because there were more xbones made of whether everybody wanted the ps4 and ignored the xbone.

In my group of friends, previously everyone had an xbox but due to many many issues this time round all but 1 of them has either bought a ps4 of intends to (including me). Laughably enough, the only person to buy an xbone is also the only person with over 250,000 gamerscore...coincidence? Perhaps but i doubt it :p