Poll: PSN compensation?

crazyhyena645

Feb 19, 2011
i've been here that a lot of people think that psn should give its users some kind of compensation or gift of good will. people are saying that psn should us a free game or a free year of ps+. some people are worried that if thy did that it would only be some lame ps home stuff or a discount on gams nobody plays any more. i think it would be cool if psn gave its users half a year of ps+ or half off everything for the same amount of time it is down. what do you think psn should give if anything.

EDIT: i cant fix poll opitions, do you guys want a lot of compensation for psn's inconenence?

Professor M

Jul 31, 2009
Your poll needs more options, what if people want a lot of compensation?

OT: I think there should definitely be at least some compensation for everyone, maybe more for the people that missed out on paid content ie. MMO players and PS+ users

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
I really doubt they will. Sony is trying to paint themselves as the victim here, and giving compensation would show to some that they are apologizing for what occurred.

Xyphon

Jun 17, 2009
AsthmaticPsycho said:

OT: I think there should definitely be at least some compensation for everyone, maybe more for the people that missed out on paid content ie. MMO players and PS+ users
Sony are compensating MMO users and working on goodwill gestures towards PSN users.

"Q: What if we have a subscription to PS3 MMOs DC Universe Online or Free Realms? Will we get compensation for that?

A: From Sony Online Entertainment: ?We apologize for any inconvenience players may have experienced as a result of the recent service interruption. As a global leader in online gaming, SOE is committed to delivering stable and entertaining games for players of all ages. To thank players for their patience, we will be hosting special events across our game portfolio. We are also working on a ?make good? plan for players of the PS3 versions of DC Universe Online and Free Realms. Details will be available soon on the individual game websites and forums.?"

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/28/qa-2-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services/

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
blakfayt said:
Hive Mind said:
We wish to remind everyone of the document the user's agreed to upon signing up for PSN.
I was intoxicated when reading it and did not have ample legal counsel to advise my decision, so it's invalid. Check please.
We think you do not understand the nature of the agreement or the legality of the related.

Professor M

Jul 31, 2009
Xyphon said:
AsthmaticPsycho said:

Sony are compensating MMO users and working on goodwill gestures towards PSN users.

"Q: What if we have a subscription to PS3 MMOs DC Universe Online or Free Realms? Will we get compensation for that?

A: From Sony Online Entertainment: ?We apologize for any inconvenience players may have experienced as a result of the recent service interruption. As a global leader in online gaming, SOE is committed to delivering stable and entertaining games for players of all ages. To thank players for their patience, we will be hosting special events across our game portfolio. We are also working on a ?make good? plan for players of the PS3 versions of DC Universe Online and Free Realms. Details will be available soon on the individual game websites and forums.?"

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/28/qa-2-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services/
Yeah sorry, I did know that, re-reading my post I do sound like I had no idea though :)

It kind of annoys me though, it feels like they should at least do something for all the non-MMO people too

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
i dont understand why everyone feels they deserve compensation, the only people who should get anything are those whos information is used to commit fraud (if it turns out that the information leak was directly responsible). you dont pay for psn, just because its down doesnt mean you should get anything.
also those who pay for the subscription version, they probly deserve something, but only something small

moose49408

Oct 18, 2008
I don't really want any kind of compensation for the network being down; that doesn't bother me. What I DO think Sony needs to answer to us for is allowing the hackers to steal all of our private information. I can deal without access to the network for a few weeks, but it was their responsibility to protect the information given to them by their customers. They failed, horrendously, and there needs to be some kind of repercussion for that...

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
blakfayt said:
Hive Mind said:
blakfayt said:
Hive Mind said:
We wish to remind everyone of the document the user's agreed to upon signing up for PSN.
I was intoxicated when reading it and did not have ample legal counsel to advise my decision, so it's invalid. Check please.
We think you do not understand the nature of the agreement or the legality of the related.
I do, and I know that unless I have my lawyer to advise me on any and all legal document, including those verbal and electronic, then nothing I say yes to is legally binding, as it has not been approved by legal counsel after being given enough time to look it over. You can't realistically expect a 19 year old to read 50,000+ words just to play online, especially a 19 year old who isn't a lawyer. Most electronic agreements do not hold up in court due to these reasons.
We would hazard a guess you have never signed a contract for a loan.

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
blakfayt said:
Hive Mind said:
blakfayt said:
Hive Mind said:
blakfayt said:
Hive Mind said:
I do, and I know that unless I have my lawyer to advise me on any and all legal document, including those verbal and electronic, then nothing I say yes to is legally binding, as it has not been approved by legal counsel after being given enough time to look it over. You can't realistically expect a 19 year old to read 50,000+ words just to play online, especially a 19 year old who isn't a lawyer. Most electronic agreements do not hold up in court due to these reasons.
I know they wouldn't let you sign a loan drunk, so neither should PSN, oh, but they can't test for sobriety over the net, so for all they know I was tripping on acid when I agreed. Electronic agreements do not stand in most courts of law, they do not have my signature, they have on record that SOMEONE pushed "Yes" not that I did.
We find recent legal cases to suggest otherwise.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
The enforcability of a EULA as law has always been in question. Plus, it's not like they can reverse existing laws through the EULA; people can't sign away their rights.

As a somewhat obvious example, if a EULA said "You grant the company the right to send ninjas to your house to steal all your stuff", then accepting obviously would NOT grant them that right.

Dejawesp

May 5, 2008
blakfayt said:
Hive Mind said:
blakfayt said:
Hive Mind said:
The part you're missing though is that the electronic contract is not something they use to bring you to court. Its something they use to keep you from bringing them to court and for that its quite efficient.

Its like when a World of Warcraft player gets his account terminated and threatens to sue blizzard for not supplying a service he paid for. Blizzard can just point to the part of the user agreement where he agreed that blizzard could terminate his account at any time without prior notice or revealing why.

The same applies here

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Hive Mind said:
blakfayt said:
Hive Mind said:
blakfayt said:
Hive Mind said:
blakfayt said:
Hive Mind said:
I know they wouldn't let you sign a loan drunk, so neither should PSN, oh, but they can't test for sobriety over the net, so for all they know I was tripping on acid when I agreed. Electronic agreements do not stand in most courts of law, they do not have my signature, they have on record that SOMEONE pushed "Yes" not that I did.
We find recent legal cases to suggest otherwise.
I'm finding this argument hilarious. I'm not sure why, really. Just, the juxtaposition of the succinct and the slightly rambling replies...

Thread bookmarked.

blakfayt said:
I'll take $10 to spend on PSN, plus PS+ for one month.
This is pretty much what I had in mind. An apology from Kevin Butler would be nice, too.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
AsthmaticPsycho said:
This, apologies if I am the millionth person to quote you but the poll is very poor and yours was the first comment I saw.

Hell yeah I want compensation. Large companies tend not to be that flexible when it comes to individual consumers when they fuck over pretty much all consumers the balance of power should be changed.

EDIT:

crazyhyena645 said:
EDIT: i cant fix poll opitions, do you guys want a lot of compensation for psn's inconenence?
I want the option. I also want compensation to reflect the fact 77 million people (approx) have been advised to change their bank details. This will cost the banks (admin, production of cards, postage) this cost in turn will be passed on to the consumer (higher interest rates on loans, lower interest rates on savings).