Poll: Question about Ipod/Iphone apps and piracy.

dspike

Sep 15, 2011
(This is my first topic I have made on the forums. Forgive me if I am doing something wrong.)To start off I am not sure whether to post this in off-topic, or gaming, and I am sorry for making one of these threads but I have a question about the Ipod/Iphone app store and it has been bugging me. If a game that was on the app store is taken down let's say about a year ago(and it's company seems to have gone out of business), and the game was re-uploaded onto a third-party app store (like cydia, or installous) and it says cracked version, and you download it. Would it be considered piracy or not?

*edit* I am not saying I pirated anything here I was just wondering if this would be considered it.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I think it still would be considered piracy, but if there's literally no other way of getting the game then personally I have no problem with it.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
That's easy to answer - is it copyright infringement or not? Has somebody taken the app without the owner's knowledge/permission and distributed it? Or was the app legally moved somewhere else from the app store?

Give us the exact circumstances and we can tell you. Other than that, we'll just be speculating. And I'm totally not familiar with iPhones, but don't you need to jailbreak your phone to use other things than the official app store? Also, isn't jailbraking "undesirable", as in you lose warranty and future updates to the firmawre or something to that effect?

dspike

Sep 15, 2011
DoPo said:
That's easy to answer - is it copyright infringement or not? Has somebody taken the app without the owner's knowledge/permission and distributed it? Or was the app legally moved somewhere else from the app store?

Give us the exact circumstances and we can tell you. Other than that, we'll just be speculating. And I'm totally not familiar with iPhones, but don't you need to jailbreak your phone to use other things than the official app store? Also, isn't jailbraking "undesirable", as in you lose warranty and future updates to the firmawre or something to that effect?
I was browsing on installous and came across an app, downloaded it and opened it for a moment then I deleted it. I searched up for any info on the app or the creators of the app. All I found was that the app was on then taken down, and the same with all of the creators apps. And upon searching the company's name with .com I only found a contact page and that was it.

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
For your next thread...just get straight to the point;) haha. But nah trust, compared to most of the virgin threads you're a bit of a cheeky god:D.

I see what you're saying. Would it be considered piracy? Yeaaaah I think so o.o.
But morally...I see no reason not to. It's a tricky one isn't it.

dspike

Sep 15, 2011
So, is it possible I will be getting a letter in the mail for a lawsuit threat for this? It doesn't seem likely but what would you guys say?