Poll: Question: Are women less affected by the attractiveness of others, or just hide it better?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Women are human beings, therefore they like rubbing their genitals on other people's genitals just as much as men do.

Mumbly

Dec 26, 2014
LifeCharacter said:
And, like always, men pretending they know how women think and feel is pretty damn creepy.
Anyone pretending they know how anyone that's not themselves is thinking is pretty darn creepy. And yet, seems the world is populated by people who "just know better".

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
manic_depressive13 said:
Ugh, it always disturbs me how readily people will rattle off gender stereotypes like they're facts. Anyway.
I hope you're not directing that at me?

I never claimed anything to be facts, these are just conclusions that seem logical given my personal experiences.. Opinions are different than facts.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Well men usually have a stronger sex drive than women.

Women aren't able to mask their attraction because its some universal gender trait, they just have less of an urge to mate.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
You don't have to be a genius to know that women are more sophisticated in what they find attractive than men. That's not subjective; it's literal fact. Men are coursing with testosterone 24/7, whereas women only ever have the same amount of hormones in their body as men do during their period. While a high libido in women isn't unusual, it's usually a result of that women having more testosterone in their body than average, and on a less biology-related note, simply having a perverse or sexual personality. But all that really means it that men have naturally higher sex drives. It ultimately means very little in terms of one's sex life. You like sex, really like sex, or are asexual.

So yes. Women do care about the attractiveness of others, and are affected.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Men might have a stronger sex drive on average, but I just think they manage to hide it better. 1 of the 3 girls/women I've been with was a sex maniac. As in, she wanted it all the time, every day. Another had a very...'healthy' sex drive you'd probably only expect from a man. And from what I've seen, women are all about sex as well. Maybe they just...aren't as inclined to go that intimate with a stranger.

symphonymarie

Oct 15, 2013
While I am always hesitant to make generalizations, I do suspect that this has quite a bit to do with hormones. I recall a study that mentioned women who are using certain forms of birth control tend to be more generally attracted to men, even those that they would ordinarily find "less attractive". Testosterone is a hell of a drug, and I suspect has quite a bit to do with the overtly sexual language and drive of gay male couples. (Again, generalization, but for the sake of posturing I have noticed this among many of my gay friends.) Essentially, my suspicion is that the difference in male and female hormones is what leads to this phenomenon. Personally, while I do of course find men attractive, it is extremely rare that this will have any influence on my behavior. I am also a bit of an odd bird in that it takes quite a bit to pique my interest. I'm sure it also has a bit to do with society, as well. To this day, the majority of my female friends with highly defined sexual agency is dwarfed by men who are comfortable with the same. Maybe in time things will even out a bit more!

(On the topic of sexuality in general, my friends do a Podcast and they had a guest who had some interesting things to say about this subject!)
http://podbay.fm/show/542228532/e/1385408197?autostart=1

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
LifeCharacter said:
And, like always, men pretending they know how women think and feel is pretty damn creepy.
since when did men do that on mass, we've always had those adages and anecdotes about dudes just not getting women, ever. and more often then not the dudes i know just shrug and go back to our business, women are pretty fey at times to them. for me both sexes are pretty fey but at least dudes are simps for the most part

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
manic_depressive13 said:
Ugh, it always disturbs me how readily people will rattle off gender stereotypes like they're facts. Anyway.

There's a lot more pressure on women not to be rude and aggressive, so women are less likely to check people out in a rude or aggressive way. Just because women don't smirk while they stare pointedly at some guy's ass doesn't mean they're not checking him out. Also, just because a woman isn't visibly repulsed by an ugly guy doesn't mean she's seeing his inner beauty or some shit. There's just way more pressure to be polite.
As with LifeCharacter, this. Disturbing amount of pseudo-biology going on.

Also, I'd like to point out that the way many men react to "the attractiveness of others" isn't some default which women are somehow less than, it's usually a transgression, a microagression. Many men leer and stare. That's not a good thing. Not only because it makes people feel uncomfortable, but because it makes the guy in question look like a shallow asshole who doesn't realise how he looks. It's socially acceptable however for a man to act like this. Women are regularly shamed for their sexuality, or being interested in sex, and judgements are extrapolated to their entire person.

Also, I'm prepared to bet a significant amount of money that what a men think women will find attractive is far different to what women actually find attractive in men. Men on average could stand to try a little harder.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
When I developed the actual ability to talk to women and made a few female friends I was surprised at how they would point out the attractiveness of men. I was rather surprised because I guess I had put women on a pedastal and thought they were more attracted to personalities.

Once I was with two women, one rather promiscuous and the other a christian virgin(as far as I know, I dont pry) and this bloke walked past us reeking of some cologne, I thought it was horrible but they looked at each other and then started talking about how hot that guy was and how he smelled great. It was the virgin who started saying that stuff too. Total objectification.

Sometimes id carpool with the more promiscious woman I mentioned to Crossfit, and shed always point out all the buff dudes jogging on the bridge with their shirts off on the way to the gym, Like I care about the shirtless dudes lol.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
LifeCharacter said:
Since a long damn time. I'm not sure how active you were at the time, but maybe half a year ago there were two threads, sex fantasies and power fantasies for women if I'm remembering correctly. I believe both (I know that the power fantasies one was for certain) was started by a man who proclaimed Bayonetta and Morrigan to be what he considered great female power fantasies and pretty much spent the entire lifespand of that thread arguing with female members of the Escapist who disagreed. And both of those threads had their fair share of people like that OP who came in to tell women what they should consider sexy and empowering.

Though you don't really have to go that far, there's plenty of people here, now, talking about how they know how women work and using plenty of pseudo-scientific nonsense like always.
I don't know what to make of that.
That sounds like a random simp.
Even then I've had generations of men that have told me they have straight up not understand how women thing bold quiet earnestly.
Either way I don't think this could be applicable to most NT men.
But I don't know that's NT shit but if they were that's kinda really dumb.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
symphonymarie said:
While I am always hesitant to make generalizations, I do suspect that this has quite a bit to do with hormones. I recall a study that mentioned women who are using certain forms of birth control tend to be more generally attracted to men, even those that they would ordinarily find "less attractive". Testosterone is a hell of a drug, and I suspect has quite a bit to do with the overtly sexual language and drive of gay male couples. (Again, generalization, but for the sake of posturing I have noticed this among many of my gay friends.) Essentially, my suspicion is that the difference in male and female hormones is what leads to this phenomenon. Personally, while I do of course find men attractive, it is extremely rare that this will have any influence on my behavior. I am also a bit of an odd bird in that it takes quite a bit to pique my interest. I'm sure it also has a bit to do with society, as well. To this day, the majority of my female friends with highly defined sexual agency is dwarfed by men who are comfortable with the same. Maybe in time things will even out a bit more!

(On the topic of sexuality in general, my friends do a Podcast and they had a guest who had some interesting things to say about this subject!)
http://podbay.fm/show/542228532/e/1385408197?autostart=1
Given you bring up hormones, I have some direct experience with this, and changes in hormone levels can do some crazy stuff. It is difficult to objectively assess your own behaviour, but given the correlation between when i've started and stopped certain kinds of treatments that mess with hormone levels, it's difficult not to notice how much effect it has on my feelings, particularly when it comes to how often (and how easily) I find things sexually arousing, (what kind of things arouse me can change too), and to some extent, how many agressive/angry I can get. (Though this seems more related to sudden changed in hormone levels than anything in particular)

Of course, since assessing my own moods isn't a very reliable thing to do, and I don't exactly have minute by minute charts of my hormone levels, it is still largely guesswork, but it does stand out how it changes as the medication does.

As to the OP's question, that's a little more ambiguous. Personal experience tells me there likely is a difference, but it's not an all or nothing kind of thing. (But the op said 'less affected, NOT unaffected, which I would say is true)
That's not to say there aren't other issues. You really do have to be more careful as a woman. It's not really something that's just OK.
But... Then again, less frequent thoughts ....

I don't know. I'm not easily aroused, and don't find many people all that attractive in a physical sense, so... I just find it confusing...

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
As a male I have no real place to comment here but I just wanted to comment on something...

I can look at woman and lust but there's no actual attractiveness there.
To me, woman aren't actually attractive until I get to know them.

This may be common with all men or I may be in the minority. I'm not exactly sure to be honest. Stereotypes being what they are it really feels like many men are genuinely attracted to physical beauty and are willing to put up with a lot if it means being with someone outwardly gorgeous.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Saetha said:
Oooh, and when a well-sculpted guy has an wears an open-collar shirt and you can just see a hint of his collar bone - also damn. Seriously I just want to reach out and pet it. So maybe women just don't oogle what you expect them to oogle?
I've heard several women waxing lyrical about collarbones.

Always struck me as an odd sort of thing to be attracted by. It would be like me getting all hot and flustered over some lass's elbows or knucklebones or something.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zhukov said:

Always struck me as an odd sort of thing to be attracted by. It would be like me getting all hot and flustered over some lass's elbows or knucklebones or something.
collar bones?
pffft

[i/]hip bones...[/i] thats where its at....

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Zhukov said:
Saetha said:
Oooh, and when a well-sculpted guy has an wears an open-collar shirt and you can just see a hint of his collar bone - also damn. Seriously I just want to reach out and pet it. So maybe women just don't oogle what you expect them to oogle?

Yeah, I guess it is a bit weird... really, the whole neck/shoulders area can be pretty attractive. I think it's probably got to do with muscle definition - generally if a guy's in good physical shape, then the muscles and tendons in their throat and collar stand out more. So it's attractive because it's indicative of physical fitness.

On the other hand, it's not like I know anything about anatomy, so...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Vault101 said:
Zhukov said:

collar bones?
pffft

[i/]hip bones...[/i] thats where its at....
On girls or guys? Or both?

Can't say I've ever noticed that guys really have much in the way of hip bones. As for girls, visible hip bones just make them look malnourished to my eyes.

I guess that's one way to make me offer someone dinner. Perhaps that's what they were planning all along.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
You are on to something OP, there's even some sweet science in that area. Generally speaking, women are less visual people than guys. We still are about attractiveness, it's just that other things are playing into it a bit more for us than for guys.
Is he confident/competent? A good provider? Does he have options? Ambition? All those things make a man highly attractive, so much that girls would overlook a not-so-great visual attractiveness if other "switches" for attractiveness are pulled, more so than guys. A guy that is super interesting, funny and confident in his abilities can be just-ok looking and still pull them hotties no problem.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zhukov said:
On girls or guys? Or both?
well...both.... when they peek out from the top of their underwear :D

[sub/]on heavily muscled guys it looks different from girls but its sort of like a V thing[/sub]