Poll: Random Encounters vs Known Encounters in JRPGs

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Islandbuffilo said:
Most JRPGs let you save anywhere outside of combat, and a lot let you make temp saves.
Good to hear. As you've probably guessed I'm talking more old school ones, and I'm still playing games from the PS2 + early 360 era.

Mimic

Jul 22, 2014
I'm really not a fan of Random battles so Known all the way. For me they feel like they interrupt the flow of the game.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The "invisible enemies randomly assail you" is a mechanic that really has no place in modern gaming, I'd say. That said, you could certainly have low-visibility sections, and randomly spawned (but visible prior to combat, within environmental limitations) encounters without being particularly annoying. The 100% Known encounters from Chrono Trigger or more recently Dragons Dogma, wherein the same enemy is always at the same location, start to become equally tedious in games where you tread through a location more then once.

KenAri

Jan 13, 2013
Random encounters annoy me, but I see why devs make them (So so so much easier to program than known ones).
I also appreciate that random encounters give a sense of danger to the world. If it's meant to be a dangerous world, I like feeling that I'm never safe. In games with no random encounters, I can just wander around with 1hp and as long as I keep my eyes on the screen, I'm 100% safe. This is really bad for my enjoyment; I love feeling endangered.

But my favourite of all are tabletop D&D encounters that can be smooth-talked out of.

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
My main factor in deciding whether I like the random encounters in a game is how shocking the screen transition is. Some of them are just annoying. Screen cracking like a glass window or some crap like that.
I guess random encounters are easier for developers though because they 1) don't have to animate and render enemies to walk around the map and 2) I'm guessing it's easier to have set boss difficulties cos you'll have a rough idea of what level the player will be at.
It also depends on the style of environment. I think random encounters worked fine in games like FF7 (conversely known encounters felt out of place in Chrono Cross) but they wouldn't in Xenoblade Chronicles.

gonenow

Dec 29, 2014
raeior said:
The random battles are one of the reasons why I never finished Final Fantasy 8 (besides the main character...god I hate Squall). It didn't bother me as much when I played FF7 for the first time but now I find it unbearable. Especially since it's often go this way now go back go back again with random battle after random battle after random battle.

On the other hand I never finished Septerra Core, which has known encounters but the amount is just ridiculous. Also the enemies respawn once you leave an area and enter it again and since you are forced to revisit some areas multiple times it gets extremely annoying.
FF8 doesn't have random encounters though... (other than the world map)

Personally I'm in the random encounters but with a no encounter ability camp. Known encounters is basically lets avoid enemies and just beat bosses / forced encounters while random encounters at least force some response from you

raeior

Oct 18, 2013
gonenow said:
Uhm yes it has. Just from the top of my head: Sewers under the capital, Tornberry ruin thingie, the garden inside the garden (erm..yeah you know what I mean). Also the world map obviously. Everything except towns or other safe zones has random battles. They can be disabled/tuned down with I think Diabolos which swings too far into the other direction.

PsiChaos

Nothing Interesting Here
Feb 21, 2015
I prefer known encounters in RPGs, but random encounters do have it's uses. For example, I doubt a game like Pokemon would actually work as intended with a known-encounter system.

gonenow

Dec 29, 2014
raeior said:
gonenow said:
Uhm yes it has. Just from the top of my head: Sewers under the capital, Tornberry ruin thingie, the garden inside the garden (erm..yeah you know what I mean). Also the world map obviously. Everything except towns or other safe zones has random battles. They can be disabled/tuned down with I think Diabolos which swings too far into the other direction.
They're not random though FF8 actually uses a step counter so you are guaranteed to get the exact same encounters in the same places if you move optimally. They're basically known encounters if you've played the game before just without appearing on the main map

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
Known encounters is very important for me since I like to prep for a battle beforehand. But Pokémon really makes me like random encounters since I like to guess which Pokémon would pop out (especially shiny Pokémons or rare ones like feebas, I it made my day).

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
What about a combination of the 2? Like Pokémon? I can grind when I want but I can also run like a little ***** when I'm low on health and out of healing items