Poll: Reason for Buying the 3DS?

hottsaucekid

Sep 20, 2009
Ok I was wondering why most people are buying the 3DS, because to me it looks like most people are gonna pick it up simply because of the games like ocarina of time instead of the actual fact of it being 3D. I mean they've released ocarina of time for the n64 and the gamecube so to me it looks like they are just releasing it to make sure the 3DS sells.

EDIT:Looks like the poll isn't working...

BRMXJzjsoawk321

Jan 13, 2010
I don't have a reason, I'm not really a fan of 3D and my family has had a DSi for about 7 months. We've hardly played it at all. So I don't see the point.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
I think they're taking a multi-pronged approach.

Initially the Wii sold buckets based on the promise of motion controls, ease of use and immersion as well as going heavy on casual games. That got them an initial boost, but sales have been slowing, and they've shifted gears towards re-releasing classic titles that draw on nostalgia. A lot of Wii developers are now making use of the classic controller (pro) for there games, and a number of Wiimote games don't make much, if any, use of motion controls. So the Wii is still selling, but its original primary selling point isn't what's getting it anymore.

Nintendo I'm sure realises this and is deciding to sell it both based on 3D capabilities as well as classic titles.

I do have a number of concerns about the 3D though. First off, the 3DS has a gyro sensor, but 3D apparently only works when you're looking dead on, so you won't be able to use both together (rather like how you couldn't use Kinect with 3D shutter glasses). To me the tilt sensor is much more appealing for flight and racing games than the 3D, so it wouldn't be surprising to see 3DS games released that don't make use of 3D. Looking dead on is a further problem just in terms of not being able to relax. I've used a handheld keyboard before that could only be held in a certain position, and it got tiring.

The other thing that concerns me is what the devs were talking about with Kid Icarus. They were saying that having things move towards you in 3D caused strain, while having things move away worked better. So Kid Icarus where you're flying after things would work. Mario Kart would work quite well too. Metroid Prime though? Not so much. That limitation is going to be similar to the limitation of motion controls - where they actually stand out is in FPS games (Metroid Prime 3, RE4 Wii), rail shooters (Time Crisis 4, Sin & Punishment) and maybe a few other game types. You certainly can't base an entire library around 3D any more than you could around motion controls.

So Nintendo really needs to offer multiple reasons to buy the 3DS, especially when the classic reasons to buy a Nintendo handheld - price and battery life - are gone.

Kagim

Aug 26, 2009
The next Kingdom Hearts is coming out for it.

Yes, that is the only reason.

Yes, I realize that makes me a whore. I care not. I need to get me some Kingdom Hearts.

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
At the moment I have no reason to buy one, it feels a bit rushed to the market, as evidenced by the fact that many of it's features won't be implemented untill several months after it launches.
The launch line-up also feels as thin as the original DS's was, with nothing that interests me. I'll have to wait and see what kind of games are announced for it, because as pretty as Ocarina of time looks, I'm not buying a new console just for a slight graphical update of a game that was released ten years ago.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
because of the fact that eventually they will stop supporting the ds which I don't play much of anyways, and it means I will have interesting games to play again until it becomes all shovelware after about a year or so. Then I switch to the ngp until nothing good comes out, then the cycle repeats again when better games release.

prowlingmonkey

Apr 18, 2010
Really the DS is probably my favorite system of this game generation, other than my PC, and I feel that Nintendo and other developers actually know how to release a good line up of games at a consistent rate, unlike the Wii. So if the 3DS follows in it's footsteps, I look forward to it.

I will probably wait a little while till I buy it, got car payments and such, but I think it will be a good little system. I'm gonna come up with a better name then the 3DS though. That just hurts me to say it.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Because I imagine most future DS games will be made for the 3DS and will be incompatible with my DS Lite.

I imagine it's similar to asking a PS2 owner why they'd buy a PS3.

Jul 23, 2008
Hm, let's see. Yet another remake from the golden years? Yeah, i can live without that. I didn't like the direction nintendo have taken in recent years and adding an extra dimension to that isn't likely to change my attitude.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
SmilingKitsune said:
At the moment I have no reason to buy one, it feels a bit rushed to the market, as evidenced by the fact that many of it's features won't be implemented untill several months after it launches.
The launch line-up also feels as thin as the original DS's was, with nothing that interests me. I'll have to wait and see what kind of games are announced for it, because as pretty as Ocarina of time looks, I'm not buying a new console just for a slight graphical update of a game that was released ten years ago.
It's reminding me a bit of the PS3 in this aspect. The PS2 was the best selling console of all time, and the PS3 had nothing, so people just kept buying PS2s. I suspect people will keep buying the DS Lite or DSi for quite a while, and therefore devs will keep making DS games to appeal to the largest possible audience.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
ad4m101 said:
Because its simply a more powerful device.

Olrod said:
I imagine it's similar to asking a PS2 owner why they'd buy a PS3.
this.
For several years after the PS3's launch the PS2 owners would be wondering why they'd buy a PS3 as well.

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
Kagim said:
The next Kingdom Hearts is coming out for it.

Yes, that is the only reason.

Yes, I realize that makes me a whore. I care not. I need to get me some Kingdom Hearts.
Don't worry you're not alone.

Also for the OoT and Starfox remakes, but mostly for the Kingdom Hearts.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Because it's a Nintendo handheld. So far they've won against every competitor that has stood in there way, and it doesn't look like that's changing anytime soon.

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
migo said:
SmilingKitsune said:
It's reminding me a bit of the PS3 in this aspect. The PS2 was the best selling console of all time, and the PS3 had nothing, so people just kept buying PS2s. I suspect people will keep buying the DS Lite or DSi for quite a while, and therefore devs will keep making DS games to appeal to the largest possible audience.
I agree, it's also a lot more exensive than is usual for Nintendo, I don't doubt that the 3DS will come into it's own, but for now the DS seems safe for at least a couple more years.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
So far I don't have one. I have Ocarina of Time for the Gamecube, and Star Fox 64 for the Wii. Unless they come up with some better games for just the 3DS, I'm gonna stick with my 1st gen DS.