Poll: Reason for getting a Wii?

urglen

Nov 23, 2009
I mainly got it for the Virtual Console alot of old games I wanted to relive my childhood with. Oh, and the new Zelda game when it finally comes out.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
XIII said:
It seems that the Wii has lost a lot of popularity over the years, as well as good ratings and good games that are forcing some of us to purchase new systems and leave our Wii's to...well...get dusty. So I ask: What was your original reason to buy it?

Mine? Eh...I got it for Christmas.
I don't own it, but I might buy a cheap second hand one just so I can play Metroid prime Corruption, monster hunter 3 and Metroid other M. Still seems like a waste of money to me, and I fucking hate the motion controls.

irishdelinquent

Jan 29, 2008
I'm upset that there are so few options in your poll. Basically, you seem to be of the mindset that someone who owns a Wii either

a). received it as a gift
b). Bought it to play a couple of good games (Might just be jumping to a conclusion, but it seems like you may have implied that there were only a few good games to choose from).
c). Standard fanboy logic

Where's the option for "I bought it because I was excited by the motion control technology when it first came out", or "I bought it because I've owned Nintendo systems before, and they've never let me down before". Where's the option for "Mine is dusty right now, because Nintendo is getting ready to drop some MAJOR bombshells in the next few months".

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
It's a perfectly fine console. It's better than the Gamecube was for sure. It's just lacking what Nintendo's older consoles had

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
4 words, Super Smash Bros Brawl.
The whole reason I got a Wii was for that game. It was a good investment though, I've wasted many hundred hours playing it, to the point I actually completed all the challenges and got all the trophies.

The Unskilled78

Dec 4, 2008
Pardon my partisanship (& Amerocentrism), but it's basically the Obama of consoles. We were sold on the notion of change and newness, but the mouth makes checks that cannot be cashed.

Ildecia

Nov 8, 2009
got it for Christmas; and haven't been disappointed too badly yet.

Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brawl
Muramasa the Demon Blade
Twilight Princess
Force Unleashed
Metroid Prime Corruption
Okami
Mario Kart
the list goes on.

and for future releases;
Monster Hunter 3
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Mario Galaxy 2

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
DrDeath3191 said:
GonzoGamer said:
Hubilub said:
3 words

No. More. Heroes.
I'm very sorry.
Is the sequel better at least?
Dude, I'm all for free speech and all, but do you really have to bash this game every time it's mentioned? Is it just a reflex? You didn't like it. We get it.
And for fans of the original, yes the sequel is fucking awesome(the third boss is absolutely astounding), but since what you hated was the combat, not the overworld (which has been drastically improved by not existing), then you still won't like it.
I don't mind that people like a bad game that has appeal, I just don't like when people try to say it's good. That's why I attack it at every chance.

And for your information, from what I've heard, I think I might rent NMH2. It sounds like the really tedious stuff has either been eliminated or made optional. The boss battles I kind of liked. It's the fact that I had to do the pumping gas minigame and drive around the least immersive osandbox ever between every one that tried my patience. Only when the Lets Shake cutscene sans-boss fight unpleasently surprised me; that's when the original became completely worthless to me.

So while I might actually like NMH2 (we'll see), I'm going to continue to trash NMH 1 until something more overrated comes along. So it might be a while.
So because someone else likes a game you did not, that gives you the right to bash them. Is your opinion somehow superior to theirs?

If you feel you might rent it, good for you. However I think that you are still not going to like it.

ayuri

Sep 11, 2009
i got it when it first came out and i sorta went head over heels for the possibilitys but it is not good for much.

cj_iwakura

Mar 2, 2009
Sacman said:
Hubilub said:
3 words

No. More. Heroes.
This is the entire reason I bought a Wii...
Yep.

That and Castle Shikigami 3.

The Wii's going to be a good console for obscure games, since Nintendo pretty much don't care what anyone releases on it.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
squid5580 said:
Nigh Invulnerable said:
I got it for my wife for Christmas since it's about the only system with games she's very interested in (Zelda, Mario related stuff, etc.) and it does make for a fun party machine. Everyone can play Wii Sports or Rayman without being really into gaming. If I wanted to play four player on my Xbox the players need to be familiar with shooter controls, fighting games, etc. and some of those things have a steeper learning curve than most of us remember.
DON'T FEED THE CASUALS!!!!!!!!

I got one for Dead Space, Deadly Creatures and No More Heroes. My wife wanted it for Wii Fit, Animal Crossing and Mario.
Said the pot to the kettle ;)

I have no problem letting my wife enjoy her more "casual" games (have you actually played Twilight Princess on Wii though? Holy Hell that game is frustrating) since she was then fine with me downloading L4D2 via Steam. It was a pretty fair trade-off in my opinion, since I'll get to enjoy the Wii stuff too.

NewDeadSoul

Aug 22, 2009
got one but then a year later i got a Xbox360 still have that then got a PS3 and DSi recently but i sold my wii when i got my Xbox360 but i might get it, yea I got a wii because I was a Nintendo fanboy and some games for the wii are good or great but most are shit and it has the worst game ever Wii Play

Brok3n Halo

Jul 5, 2009
I stood outside half the night playing Mario Kart DS with strangers to preorder it for launch. Went for it mostly for Zelda and Metroid Prime 3.
It may not be my most played system this gen, but it has been the one I've had the most fun with out of the the 7 current gen platforms (and I own them all).

And outside the occasional LBP on PS3, it's the only system I've put much multiplayer time into.

And anyone who complains the Wii lacks good hardcore games isn't a real hardcore gamer.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Didn't buy a Wii yet. There's still some reasons why I want one though.

There's a few games that got my interest.

-Zelda
-Pure Mario games (Galaxy, Super Mario Wii)
-Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
-Tatsunoko vs Capcom (Yeah, it's weird. However, it looks fun).
-Mario Kart Wii
-Brawl (at some extent).
-Resident Evil 4
-House od the dead over-kill.

There's the Wii store. They got Ogre Battle march of the black queen which gives me hope to see Ogre battle 64.

You can play gamecube games on it too. I never tried Paper Mario on gamecube.