Poll: Recycling

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Recycling is good for the planet yet the majority of people do not recycle because it is inconvenient

Everyone knows that recycling paper saves trees and almost everyone has herd the the insane about of years it takes for many products to decompose (for one example it takes 4,000 years for glass) It also lessens greenhouse gasses created from the decomposition. While also saving space for different buildings and or parks and housing because no one wants to live near a landfill doesn't pollute the surrounding areas, for if landfills are not properly looked after they can pollute the surrounding habitat and poison the water. Not to mention reusing products can keep down the cost of raw materials (we never recycled copper and now its expensive). The average American family creates 4 pounds of trash a day, it doesn't all have to go back under he ground. Getting paid for recycling is one of the best ways to get people to recycle 93% of deposit cans/bottles are recycles but 87% of non deposit ones find their way into landfills.

This is pretty much an ad for recycling so please recycle (my environmental science grade depends on if I can get a lot of people to recycle so if anything take the pile of water bottles on your desk and throw them in a bin and put it at the end of your driveway) If this topic was done before I'm sorry I need to see how many people read what I wrote.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
We get our bottles and cans taken from us with no payment for them other than our lawn gets mowed. It works just fine. I'd love to start doing real recycling but I'm too poor for a compost maker and my family thinks it's too inconvenient. You can't argue with lazy or stupid, so don't even suggest something to both.

SonicMTD

Intergalactic Sex Demon
Oct 21, 2008
Toronto, Ontario.
Country
Canada
I recycle.... that still doesn't change the fact the bloody garbage truck throws it away anyway >_<

littlemira

Sep 13, 2008
It's not that hard to recycle really, just need to buy a few extra trash cans and find a service center.

Also, please take note that recycling isn't just Aluminum(sp), Paper, and Plastic.
Your household cleaners, beauty makeup and other chemicals can overshadow the products you are recycling. Look into waste disposal in your local community. Often times they have drives, and even rewards for presenting harmful waste.

P.S. check out the 3rd link, it describes the recycling numbers you find inside the recycle arrow symbol. It helps keep you aware of what your buying and helps on how to dispose of them.

For reference:
http://earth911.com/
http://planetgreen.discovery.com/go-green/recycling/
http://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles/187/1/Recycling-by-the-numbers.html

Puppeteer Putin

Jan 3, 2009
We put all our rubbish into the same bin. We pay slightly higher rates for the council to sort out our recyclable rubbish from the general waste. Brilliant idea as more items should be recycled.

May 17, 2007
TehCookie said:
Recycling is good for the planet yet the majority of people do not recycle because it is inconvenient
Really? I'm surprised to hear that; everyone I know certainly recycles. Where did you get that information from?

Pirate Pete

Sep 10, 2008
I've heard that anything but tin cans takes more energy than it's worth to recycle. But I still do it.
The best kind of recycling has started happening at some music festivals in Australia: You take your empty cans and bottles to a counter/tent somewhere, and they give you a voucher worth $1 at the bars. They probably raise the prices of drinks by that dollar, but if you're willing to scab empties off people you can sometimes manage to drink for free.

SonicMTD said:
I recycle.... that still doesn't change the fact the bloody garbage truck throws it away anyway >_<
I've heard that too, but not quite as much. I've heard that the people where it's taken dump it onto conveyor belts, and if there's anything in there that shouldn't be, the whole load gets dumped. It's apparently for the reason I mentioned above.