Poll: Retro JRPG's

EboMan7x

Jul 20, 2009
So I'm looking to get into some old school JRPG's having recently finished Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door. So my plan is to download an emulator and a ROM for either Chrono Trigger or FF3.
However, I know nothing of JRPG's. So I thought I'd turn to the fine folks down at the escapist for help.
Which emulator should I get if you vote Chrono Trigger? Is Final Fantasy 3 really the best old school Final Fantasy? Or should I get a different game altogether?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Just play CT on the DS, it has a lot of extra content.

FF3 isn't the best, FFVI or IV are arguably the best pre-psx ones.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Haven't played all the way through FF3, but Chrono Trigger is my favorite game.

Get the SNES version, NOT the playstation. That PS1 had some neat anime cutscenes, but they kind of break the flow of the game, and--for some reason--the load times are ridiculous. It can take several seconds to even open your menu.

I'm currently playing through Earthbound (SNES), and I'm loving it, so I'd recomend it as well.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
If you're going to pick up Chrono Trigger, I have a three word suggestion for you...

Secret.

Of.

Mana.

(Captcha: ithemain van. I shall fetch it immediately, Lord Inglip...)

Xander_VJ

Nov 8, 2007
Since most people are gonna suggest "Chrono Trigger" and "Final Fantasy VI" (or III, depending on if you mean the japanese number or the american number) I'm going to recommend a different one.

"Terranigma".

Probably not as well known as CT and FFVI since it was never released in America. But it was released in Europe (meaning you can find it translated to English) and it's one of the best JRPGs, not only of SNES, but of all time.

We could say it was to Europe what "Chrono Trigger" was for America. A timeless master piece that got some kind of mystic status partly because of the fact that it was not released everywhere. European people envyed Americans because of "Chrono Trigger" and Americans envyed Europeans because of "Terranigma".

A must play.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Yeah, also not a good idea to mention you intend to download a rom here.

But.. I say... Cthulu saves the world!, Its due out for PC within the next month or so, and its going to be cheap as cheap can get.

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
I would say if you're going with ROMs get an SNES emulator and look for Chrono Trigger and EarthBound.

Mr. In-between

Apr 7, 2010
Chrono Trigger, most definitely. Along with the other most underrated RPG of it's time, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Dreiko said:
FF3 isn't the best, FFVI or IV are arguably the best pre-psx ones.
Think he meant the American version, which was simply called Final Fantasy III.

Also, what exactly constitutes "Retro" for you? Are we talking anything before 2000? If so, then I would probably recommend Chrono Trigger, FF IV & VI, Suikoden II, and Tales of Phantasia (GBA version).

If you're willing to give a little leeway, then I'd also like to recommend Skies of Arcadia (the Game Cube version), which was first released on the Dreamcast. It's one of the better examples of how to do a pirate-themed RPG.

kaioshade

Apr 10, 2011
Terranigma is an awesome game. I never did finish it though. I think i need to fix that.

Seiken Densetsu 3 is also another game i recommend.
And if you are looking for something a little different, Treasure of the Rudras is a very well done game, although the difficulty can sometimes be on the side of outright sadistic.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
I assumed that by FF3, you mean SNES, not DS or Famicom. Completely different game, if nto change one to FF6.

Randomspike

Pinball Wizard
Oct 12, 2010
Chrono Trigger, it is a good game to play as an introduction to JRPGs and it has a decent plot, interesting characters and great music.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
I'm a bit worried about getting the banhammer, but the SNES emulator I use is SNES9x. Of course, I haven't tried any other ones... but this one works just fine.

In any case... I recommend Ter--
Xander_VJ said:
Since most people are gonna suggest "Chrono Trigger" and "Final Fantasy VI" (or III, depending on if you mean the japanese number or the american number) I'm going to recommend a different one.

"Terranigma".

Probably not as well known as CT and FFVI since it was never released in America. But it was released in Europe (meaning you can find it translated to English) and it's one of the best JRPGs, not only of SNES, but of all time.

We could say it was to Europe what "Chrono Trigger" was for America. A timeless master piece that got some kind of mystic status partly because of the fact that it was not released everywhere. European people envyed Americans because of "Chrono Trigger" and Americans envyed Europeans because of "Terranigma".

A must play.
Yesyesyesyesyesyes. <3
My first choice! I adore this game, but coming across fellow players is pretty darn rare. :/

Oh right, other games: Breath of Fire I and II, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, Illusion of Gaia, and Earthbound. Might I also recommend Secret of Evermore even though it technically isn't a JRPG? There's also some hidden gems that only came out in Japan but have English patches. I especially like Live a Live, Bahamut Lagoon, Treasure Of The Rudra, and Radical Dreamers.

If you can, get Chrono Trigger for DS. I usually stick to emulating games you can't actually buy, you know?

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
FFVI is the best oldschool. But if you'll be getting a PS1 emulator, get Chrono Trigger and FFVII and IX, although those two aren't as retro.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
SNES Chrono Trigger and Earthbound were my gateway to JRPGs. Go with either of those.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
Earthbound, baby! You'll definitely like it if you liked Thousand Year Door.