Poll: Reviews and Awards

BulletMagTrig

Nov 14, 2011
Is it just me or has the majority of awards and reviews I see for different media mean absolutely nothing anymore? I remember going to IGN and reading magazines to find out what games got good scores and actually cared what movies got awards. Then I sat down this morning and watched some Jim (Thank god for him.) and realized I haven't cared about what scores games are getting since...2006? Somewhere years ago. I mean, the only active game reviewer I listen to is Yahtzee since he comes across as the most honest game reviewer on the web. He also doesn't give number scores.

Awards like "Most Anticipated of 20XX" and "10 out of 10" means so little and some people just flip when someone gives their favorite game an average rating. Has anyone else noticed this, or do you people actually listen to some of these dumb awards and ratings?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Awards can matter, depending on the person giving them.

Scores can matter if you understand the context of the score and the scale that the score is based on. But the words that comes with a review are far, far more important than the score, and can also give the score context.

"Most Anticipated" awards are silly, though.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
They matter.

Many people complain that they don't want to spend $50 on a product that they don't know if it's any good/if it's buggy/etc.

...Yes, you do.