Poll: Rich/Average Sellout/Integrity What would you rather be?

craftomega

May 4, 2011
Here's a fun hypathetical.

Would you rather be a rich sellout?

Or a average person with integrity?

Why?

PS: Yes there is a deeper meaning here.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I'm gonna go with average with integrity.

The rich lifestyle has just never really appealed to me. I'm more of a function>fashion type of individual.

Why spend $60 on a designer t-shirt when I can pick up two or three t-shirts at Old Navy for $5? Why buy a super expensive sports car (which I'd be unable to use to its full potential due to traffic law) when a little '01 Honda Civic can get me from A to B just fine? Why buy a huge mansion to live in when it's unlikely I'd ever need that much space?

Pretty much the only thing I'd want to spend a lot of money on is a gaming computer... and that's not really that much money, and I'd be looking to get years of use out of it - making it actually pretty reasonably priced.

I'd like to think that even if I somehow did manage to come into a lot of money, I'd still live pretty much the same way I do right now.

...but, y'know... with a nicer computer...

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Tuesday Night Fever said:

The rich lifestyle has just never really appealed to me. I'm more of a function>fashion type of individual.

Why spend $60 on a designer t-shirt when I can pick up two or three t-shirts at Old Navy for $5? Why buy a super expensive sports car (which I'd be unable to use to its full potential due to traffic law) when a little '01 Honda Civic can get me from A to B just fine? Why buy a huge mansion to live in when it's unlikely I'd ever need that much space?

Pretty much the only thing I'd want to spend a lot of money on is a gaming computer... and that's not really that much money, and I'd be looking to get years of use out of it - making it actually pretty reasonably priced.

I'd like to think that even if I somehow did manage to come into a lot of money, I'd still live pretty much the same way I do right now.

Generally when I think of myself as rich I think of myself as someone who can guarantee total financial support to myself, wife, and kids. That no medical bill will be too much, no education will be to grande, and my family will never ever go without a proper relaxing vacation.

I do agree about the mansion though, never liked big houses. But I would love to have a nice car. There are places you can take it. Many cities have tracks for things like that.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Zack Alklazaris said:
Generally when I think of myself as rich I think of myself as someone who can guarantee total financial support to myself, wife, and kids. That no medical bill will be too much, no education will be to grande, and my family will never ever go without a proper relaxing vacation.

I do agree about the mansion though, never liked big houses. But I would love to have a nice car. There are places you can take it. Many cities have tracks for things like that.
I suppose you do have a point there. I can't say I'd be particularly opposed to the idea of having a financial safety net in case of, say, a medical emergency. I'd just like to think that with the money I'd be saving from not making too many extravagant and/or unnecessary purchases, I'd have that safety net available to me anyway without having to be the 'rich/sellout.'

As for the car... that was probably a bad example, as I'm really not a car person at all and probably wouldn't go to those tracks even if I did have a really nice sports car. Truth be told, I'd sooner spend the money on a military surplus HMMWV than a sports car - of course, assuming I had the riches to afford filling my gas tank every 100 yards :)

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I don't really care that much about being rich.
I'd prefer average but with integrity since that can lead to a perfectly happy life. As long as I could still afford all my games then i'd be fine.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If you mean rich sellout as in I have alot of fame which I put my name on product or sponsor products I don't believe in (like I say it's only to eat junkfood) only because the corperation said so than I rather be an average integrity. I have pride within myself.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
craftomega said:
Here's a fun hypathetical.

Would you rather be a rich sellout?

Or a average person with integrity?

Why?

PS: Yes there is a deeper meaning here.
You know what I consider selling out?
Working 40+ hours a week, doing things you hate doing, surrounded by people you dislike and/or despise, being constantly abused by your superiors, and being paid minimum wage for it.
Where's the integrity in that?
I'd rather be wealthy, with haters whining on the internet how people with "real talent" can't get anywhere, yet fuckers like me collect all the spoils.

DrgoFx

Aug 30, 2011
Average Integrity. As I'm sure a good chunk of the Escapist is aware, my dream career is being an actor. Unlike most people that dream of this at my age, I'm in it for the passion and the enjoyment of the career. It's hard work, but for me it's worth it in the end. If I become one of those famous household names, well whoopty doo.I won't use my fame and wealth for myself, if I get in that position, I just want to live as normal as possible. If I'm placed in that position of fame, I'd try and make the world a better place. So to me, integrity is more important than anything.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
We can't all be rich! Even when some of us are it reduces the wealth of others and I firmly believe in one global tribe, I am one with my species so to retain more resources than I need results in harming my relatives, no thanks

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
It wouldn't matter if I was a sell-out because just about no-one listens to me anyway. The only change would be me being able to hurl money at causes I believe in, which might actually do something.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Depends what I was selling out on.

Selling my diginity and values, no.
Selling out my country........yes.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
Rich & integrity are both relative terms. It would depend on how rich I would be and how dear the principles I'd have to sacrifice to get there. Generally I'd go for integrity "what does it profit a man if he gains the world but looses his soul" and all that, y'know.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Tuesday Night Fever said:

Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it on stereotypical rich-person shit. By all means, the more money you have, the more money you can save.

OT: Rich, for the reason I stated above. Plus, the less I have to worry about money, the less stressful my life will be.

Besides, in the public spotlight, any integrity I seem to have would be a front.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Ham_authority95 said:
Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it on stereotypical rich-person shit. By all means, the more money you have, the more money you can save.

OT: Rich, for the reason I stated above. Plus, the less I have to worry about money, the less stressful my life will be.

Besides, in the public spotlight, any integrity I seem to have would be a front.
While I agree with you that one doesn't have to spend the money on those sorts of things, I felt that it was actually implied that if the 'rich' option were chosen you would due to the 'sellout' vs. 'integrity' part.

But granted, that second part is open to quite a bit of interpretation since the topic creator really didn't specify what he or she meant with those particular word choices.