Poll: Rift Is it worth it?

peel15

Nov 3, 2008
So I'm considering getting the game rift but I wasn't a part of the beta and I couldn't find a demo for it and I can't post on their forums and I don't know why so I come to you escapist to tell me the pros the cons and the miscellaneous facts about this game. I disliked WoW I really enjoyed guild wars and numerous other F2P MMO's and PvP is a big thing for me.

peel15

Nov 3, 2008
FranBunnyFFXII said:
peel15 said:
So I'm considering getting the game rift but I wasn't a part of the beta and I couldn't find a demo for it and I can't post on their forums and I don't know why so I come to you escapist to tell me the pros the cons and the miscellaneous facts about this game. I disliked WoW I really enjoyed guild wars and nuerous other F2P MMO's and PvP is a big thing for me.
Prius Online, which is comming out soon is the Free to Play to beat game.
It's supose to have some SERIOUS PvP modes and stuff.
Prius Online is also the first Cinematic MMORPG and looks to be really intresting to give it a play through.
Sounds cool but is it going to be more of a tactical as in know the classes the skills what they do when to use them like guild wars or more of like a WoW where everybody uses the same stuff the same spec the same skills and the same timing?

That Guy Who Phails said:
I don't think it's all that good, compared to Darkfall Online it's horrible, I'm sure it's a perfectly decent game but I wasn't thrilled with it....
What was Darkfall online like? It sounds interesting.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
I say just wait for Guild Wars 2. Rift just seems like a ripoff of every other MMO to come out lately.

peel15

Nov 3, 2008
Pirus looks kind of meh for me I'll keep an eye out when it releases and Guild Wars 2 took out my favourite pvp class and role to do so I think I'm passing on that. RIP monk.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Rift isn't a bad game, but there are several better ones on the horizon; most notably Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic.
And Guild Wars 2 has no subscription fees!

peel15

Nov 3, 2008
2xDouble said:
Rift isn't a bad game, but there are several better ones on the horizon; most notably Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic.
It just killed the most intense pvp class :c. The old republic though honestly does not interest me. I'm more into a fantasy setting for games not so much sci-fi. Anybody know of a good more action type fantasy game? Thats what rift looks like to me and hence my curiosity with it but again the lack of demo or beta avaliable makes it hard.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
peel15 said:
2xDouble said:
It just killed the most intense pvp class :c. The old republic though honestly does not interest me. I'm more into a fantasy setting for games not so much sci-fi. Anybody know of a good more action type fantasy game? Thats what rift looks like to me and hence my curiosity with it but again the lack of demo or beta avaliable makes it hard.
Watch this [http://www.livestream.com/guildwars2live/video?clipId=pla_24de7dfe-7e84-4ca4-96ff-44dc8025f49b] (about half an hour). The Monk is not dead, merely transformed to be more proactive instead of reactive. (prot vs heal).

Other fantasy-styled MMOs include the much-talked-about Vindictus, the Diablo-inspired League of Legends, the infamous art style of TERA, certainly the older MMO's (WoW, Aion, Guild Wars, etc.) and of course Rift. Blade and Soul also merits a mention, but I have almost no information on it, and is presumably going to release about the same time as GW2 (read: not any time soon). If you had fun with (read: paid for) one of them, you'll probably enjoy any of the others, as they are fairly similar (with several key differences, naturally).

I can also suggest Minecraft (it has pvp modes too, why not?) and the wonderfully inventive Magicka. They're not MMO's per se, but are interesting enough to hold attention for a long time and easily more fun when played together with others. The upcoming (yet still somehow mysterious) Diablo 3 also fits this category.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
2xDouble said:
Wait a minute it has NO subscription fees? So I pay like the $50 or how ever much it'll cost, and thats it? Well looks like I found the first MMO i will ever play. I just could never see paying more money after I buy a game, since I would never put the amount of time that would make it a good deal. But this,this is great. Time to start watching vids on i t then.

OT: Yeah I have no idea, I was bored and entered thread....I'll leave now.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
2xDouble said:
peel15 said:
2xDouble said:
Watch this [http://www.livestream.com/guildwars2live/video?clipId=pla_24de7dfe-7e84-4ca4-96ff-44dc8025f49b] (about half an hour). The Monk is not dead, merely transformed to be more proactive instead of reactive. (prot vs heal).
^ Take this guy's advice.

All the returning GW1 classes have been changed a great deal. Monk just got a little bit more of a change than the others, because there are no dedicated healers in GW2.

Here's [http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/monk-players-how-satisfied-are-t14417.html] a discussion about the guardian profession from former Monk players. You may be interested in reading it.

DNA

Jun 8, 2009
rockingnic said:
I say just wait for Guild Wars 2. Rift just seems like a ripoff of every other MMO to come out lately.
Comments like this make me wonder if the person saying it has ever played anything more than World of Warcraft like it was some ingenious model bastion of originality.

By that stigma, every FPS is a rip off of original 1992 Doom and Wolfenstein.

Every RPG is a ripoff of the original Bards Tale (yes the commodorw 64 version)

every RTS needs to get in line behind Command and Conquer and Civilization (If there were RTS's before that I am just ignorant of their existence)

I am not attacking you as a poster, I am attacking this attitude of "oh its just a ripoff" When something gets done right, people MIMICK IT. ITs why Coke has Mello Yellow, because Mountain Dew is a smash hit, why Pepsi has Sierra Mist, because Sprite was a success.

Rift, in my opinion is worth it. And before anyone jumps down my throat about "being a WoW rebel" I am currently paying for a subscription to both, I enjoy both. I am just at a time in WoW where I dont need to spend 100 hours a week playing it, I log on for 6 hours a week, down all the content, progress in hard modes, and log off... and then I play rift, where I have been doing nothing but PVP to level, because its fun.

I enjoy the story, especially from the Defiant side, its WAY more interesting than the Guardians, which is a generic "oh we need defenders, so we are bringing you back from the dead"... The Defiants have TIME TRAVEL, are a genuinely oppressed race because for whatever reason the Guardians blame the RIFTS on the Defiants, even though if they had a brain between the lot of them would realize its a scapegoat... and the Defiants are trying to defend their civilization against the Rifts, and now have the Guardians to worry about too since they are being righteous pricks.

Gameplay wise, its very similar to A LOT of games, people have said the public quests like what warhammer are awesome and they enjoy that, I like the amount of class customization available, as well as more than just warriors/plate wearers are tanks.

I sometimes spec my Rogue into the Riftstalker tree to tank dungeons, and its fun, its very buff oriented and situationally accurate requires more than just stand in one position the entire time, you technically could, but then you would be bad at riftstalker.

weker

May 27, 2009
peel15 said:
So I'm considering getting the game rift but I wasn't a part of the beta and I couldn't find a demo for it and I can't post on their forums and I don't know why so I come to you escapist to tell me the pros the cons and the miscellaneous facts about this game. I disliked WoW I really enjoyed guild wars and numerous other F2P MMO's and PvP is a big thing for me.
If you disliked wows gameplay you wont like this i wouldn't think
however this is by far the BEST polished MMO to date with not much coming close, wow is still good but is out of date when comparing and is left riddled with addons and bad community.

weker

May 27, 2009
peel15 said:
oh also try ignore ppl claim rip off as they are correct BUT it would make you a fool to ignore a game because it copies what other games do.
Rift is a Generic MMO but its sheer quality and design in ever area make it the best mmo on the market atm for me and many others.

P.S if you do join go on steamshard and contact a IGC member for inv :)

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Given that the game has gone live, I believe that my beta-testing NDA no longer applies. Understand that some of what appears below may have been issues with the beta that have been/will be fixed in the release version. This is from a guy who has played Guild Wars very infrequently and WoW not at all.

I found RIFT kinda meh. I only played two different characters -- an Ascended elf warrior and later an Ascended elf mage. The mage seemed to level up more quickly, but that may have been due to the fact I better knew what I was doing the second time around. I only played on Player-versus-Environment servers.

The cinematics are turgid, mostly due to the bombastic narration. See their Web site for backstory; you won't miss anything by pressing 'skip'.

The graphics are pretty enough, I suppose -- [em]far[/em] better than Guild Wars, at least. I imagine they will improve over time. Frame rate seemed a little chunky; however that may be because my machine may be older than I realize (DDR-400 system RAM).

Anyhoo... You select whether you want to be the Good Guys (Ascended) or the Bad Guys (Defiant), then select a race, class, assign some skill points, and spend 45 minutes farting around with all the settings on your avatar's appearance. You materialize in a cathedral where apparently they're having a trade show describing all the available specializations you can select from. Only certain of the booth reps will speak to you, however, depending on your race and class. Once outside, you go through the tutorial map, which familiarizes you with the basics of combat and game play. Even in this nerfed world, you can still die -- a lot. Eventually you work your way to a Rift and kill the bad guy there. You then teleport 30 years into the future and into the actual game.

My lack of experience with MMORPGs meant that the difference between one weapon and another was nigh indistinguishable, as well as the various buffs. Your starting backpack, as usual, has space enough for two Kleenexes and a plain M&M, although you get a couple of expansion pouches early on.

Combat balance was under heavy tweaking during the beta, and may well have changed from final beta to release. But when I was playing, ranged attacks were definitely the way to go. This is particularly true when a Rift(TM) opens up and drops a load of nasties that you and your erstwhile friends are expected to dispatch.

An annoyance: During melee combat, you must be facing your opponent before the game will deign to inflict damage.

Another annoyance: Occasionally the game would unleash a horde of nasties bent on the destruction of the Wardstone at the Mage University. This might have been amusing, had it not been for the fact that the nasties were all level 18, and the University and surrounding grounds were populated with mostly level 12 n00bs like myself. Attacking anything more than two levels above you was a sure trip to the resurrection dais.

There are opportunities in the game to learn additional skills such as weapon-making, potion-making, etc., but I never got far enough to make any use of those.

In both cases, I was able to work up to level 11 fairly quickly, but beyond that it started turning in to a grind. Getting beyond that seems to require joining a group, however briefly. And if you're naturally a loner like myself, that's kind of a drag.

Overall, I personally found nothing in the game that made me way to shell out $15/month ($11/month if you buy in 3-month blocks). I already never play Guild Wars for many of the same reasons, and it's free.

weker

May 27, 2009
peel15 said:
Sounds cool but is it going to be more of a tactical as in know the classes the skills what they do when to use them like guild wars or more of like a WoW where everybody uses the same stuff the same spec the same skills and the same timing?
Its more like guild wars in that sense
You unlock moves as you place points in the 3 chosen talanet trees out of 8, each of which are perfectly balanced to allow you to get passive stat bonus and also not force you into getting to the end of a tree.
I so far havent met another player who ever used one of my 3 differnt builds