Poll: Rome 2 Total War Excitement!

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
OneCatch said:
Hargrimm said:
I'll hold off until I know if they managed to finally improve the awful AI. The previews I've seen don't fill me with confidence.
Out of curiosity (not looking to flame), what's making you think that the AI is unusually crap?

-------

OT, probably Rome, though one of the Greek or Alexandrian factions might be tempting as well. I always liked the diversity of the Seleucids in the original Rome, even if their roster was horribly expensive. I imagine they'll have toned it down a bit though - it was patently unrealistic in the original.
The roster was accurate in the original Rome but the major problem that the historical Seleucids had was domestic civil wars and braking mad kings. None of total war games have really been able to deal with a succession crisis and nutty rulers. Unless of course you have in fact married your sister after murdering your brother, her previous husbands and then declared yourself a god. If you have then, playing the Seleucids realistically should be a doddle.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'm still stuck on either Rome(the red sub-faction) or the British tribe. Rome has military might and general OPness. While the Brits have the advantage of an entire fucking island filled with what my guess is other British tribes with only one or two cities per faction, making taking them over easy. So I can just launch raids against Spain, Gaul, and Germany after I own all of Britain. My second will be Parthia because I love me some trade empires.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Hmmm? I'd lost interest when somebody told me they were charging some of the factions as DLC. Is that not happening?

I was always favourable to Macedon in the original.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
I can not bloody wait for this game. I'm going to start as one of the houses in Rome because I want to try out that prologue thingy they've got, and move from that into a full game. My second play through is definitely going to be with a Greek state. Not sure which one, but it will probably be Sparta.

BLAHwhatever

Aug 30, 2011
WoW Killer said:
Hmmm? I'd lost interest when somebody told me they were charging some of the factions as DLC. Is that not happening?

I was always favourable to Macedon in the original.
Nope, that shit is still happening

There's a day one dlc faction free of charge. No idea why it's dlc. Probably to get you on steam or something
And there's the Greek which are hold for ransom. You only get them free of charge when pre-ordering. And yes, there will be more factions that will come as dlc. There's a second free dlc faction announced, too

As much as I dispise these practices I'll get it, preordered it in fact.
I enjoyed every single game they released, even the 3rd Person one.
And this one looks sooooo good.

Their scemes worked by the way. The game got preordered 6x more than any it's predecessor.

The improvements I saw in Shogun 2's addon Fall of the Samurai concerning the AI and a spotlight video they made concerning the enemy A.I. really got my hopes up.

I really doubt this game will disappoint me.

Oh yeah, and I'll start Sparta. Because Sparta. Then I'll try out the Iceni. Really hope they still have the guys that throw heads filled with ow-ow stuff. Then the Suebi, because Berserkers. Then Egypt. Rome will be last. Because winning and fighting as an underdog is much more fun.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
BLAHwhatever said:
And there's the Greek which are hold for ransom. You only get them free of charge when pre-ordering.
Ungh. That's a problem for me. I don't typically believe in pre-ordering. I've done it in the past, but only when there's been significant material released beforehand for me to judge a games quality (for instance, if I've been playing in a beta and I like it then I can justify a pre-order; I've got no problems with that). But then with it being Sega and with their policy on open media (taking down YouTube channels etc.) there isn't exactly a lot of footage out there. So with that sort of a game I'd be wanting to wait at least a short while after release so I can get some sense of the general feelings towards it. But that means I miss out (or have to pay for) one of the iconic factions that should be in the base deal to begin with. I probably wouldn't have minded if it was like Spain or Thrace that they were holding back, but Greece?

I'll have to hear really good things to consider this one. More than likely I'll pick it up in a years time during a Steam sale or something.

Apr 24, 2008
I don't know...

I'm a little saddened by the pre-order incentive. I'd like to play as the Greek states, but it doesn't make the best sense for me to buy the game immediately (would rather buy a car). I can wait until the near future and buy the game sans-desirable content... or I can wait a few more months and probably get the game with the extra content bundled together at a discounted price.

Hmmm...

BLAHwhatever

Aug 30, 2011
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
I don't know...

I'm a little saddened by the pre-order incentive. I'd like to play as the Greek states, but it doesn't make the best sense for me to buy the game immediately (would rather buy a car). I can wait until the near future and buy the game sans-desirable content... or I can wait a few more months and probably get the game with the extra content bundled together at a discounted price.

Hmmm...
Yeah. If you're not a huge nerd for the series like me getting it at a later date with mucho dlcs for cheap.
I doubt that the greek culture dlc pack will stay pre-order-exclusive for long. They'll probably release it a few weeks after launch for a couple dollars.
Another reason to buy it a bit later is the fact that they "recreated" the enemy A.I. "from the ground up"... so... I don't think it will be broken or bad... just... not as good as it will be after some patches and bugfixes.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
(...I can't have been the only one who liked Empire and Napoleon...)

In any case, I intend to start off as Carthage as they were my favourite faction in the first one, and I didn't even use their elephants for the most part.

JLML

Feb 18, 2010
Undecided as of yet, will decide through tossing of dice. Me and a friend have prepared for a weekend of constant awesomeness together at his place though. 48 hours of non-stop conquering. It will be EPIC. That is all.

Apr 24, 2008
BLAHwhatever said:
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
I don't know...

Hmmm...
Yeah. If you're not a huge nerd for the series like me getting it at a later date with mucho dlcs for cheap.
I doubt that the greek culture dlc pack will stay pre-order-exclusive for long. They'll probably release it a few weeks after launch for a couple dollars.
Another reason to buy it a bit later is the fact that they "recreated" the enemy A.I. "from the ground up"... so... I don't think it will be broken or bad... just... not as good as it will be after some patches and bugfixes.
I'm certain that you're making sense.

The Total War series is one of only a few that would excite me enough that I'd want it right away is all, and I'd certainly want all of the content... I just want an eunos roadster more.