Poll: Save an Alien or Save a human?

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
We have been recently introduced to this species, and so far things are going ok.

The human I'd expect to at least be familiar with escape routes and life saving equipment, while the alien I'll assume has at best a basic understanding of them. For the sake of relations between our people, and the likelihood that the alien is more screwed than the human by a lack of knowledge... ..I'd go with the alien first.

I'd probably make an abortive attempt at saving the human, but I'd not put myself in a situation I know I can't get out of.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
God damn it. Why does it always have to be drowning? I'M A BAD SWIMMER!

I'd save the alien. The one most likely to catch my eye, and I don't want someone to feel abandoned just because they were different. Also, galactic relations.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Eclpsedragon said:
Save the alien,
it's good for galactic relations.
I go with this sentiment as well unless they value holding your species in higher esteem at which they look down on your actions.

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
Save the one that I believe I have the best chance of saving.

Anything else would be an assertion of ethical authority, which I do not believe I have.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
It depends on whether or not the alien looks interesting enough to save, but the odds are good that I'd choose to rescue it over my fellow man.

It's an alien! Wow! I have so many tests to perform
so much exploitation to pursue so many questions to ask of you!

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Newby_Newb said:
Save the Alien.

They might be great-full enough to give me some technology.
Says the poster with the Metroid avatar. o_O

Still, I'd save the alien. Perhaps the alien may show compassion, logic and furthered enlightenment as to how the universe is.

Humans would only seek to exploit things for self-empowerment, eventually, and end up destroying themselves and anything they attempt to consume.

I base this decision off of 3,000+ years of human history.

godofslack

May 8, 2011
Human, given that both are of equal social value (ie the Alien isn't a diplomat and the human isn't the body guard of said diplomat). I think it's necessary to ensure the protection of your own species over another, the same can be said about country, city, etc.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Save the alien.
It's a sign of good will, there are literally billions of us and it'd be cool to be owed a favour by an alien.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
Save the human fucking Xeno scum. Survival of the fittest! (Screwing your own species is being unfit[1])

Intellectual debate on how natural selection will play out on an interstellar scale: I want.

[1] I guess

Corax_1990

May 21, 2010
I would......... call the fire department/police/other emergency service etc. seriously, I get that these threads are all about moral choice, but they do not translate into real life (even without the alien).

Rumpsteak

Nov 7, 2011
In all likelihood I would be so stunned by the alien's presence I'd just stand there, jaw wide open, and they'd both die.

oZode

Nov 15, 2011
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Newby_Newb said:
Save the Alien.

They might be great-full enough to give me some technology.
Says the poster with the Metroid avatar. o_O

Still, I'd save the alien. Perhaps the alien may show compassion, logic and furthered enlightenment as to how the universe is.

Humans would only seek to exploit things for self-empowerment, eventually, and end up destroying themselves and anything they attempt to consume.

I base this decision off of 3,000+ years of human history.
However you know nothing of the alien. Who says the alien is any better? They probably have similarly horrific pasts, they are just flesh and bone (or whatever they are) after all. Perhaps, they are even worse than us, and they just aren't openly invading.

There is no way to tell after all.

I go with saving the human, since I believe the alien would save one of its own kind in the same situation. My ignorance of their nature makes me assume they would do the same thing as I, even though it could be possible their mentality is different from ours much more than I realize. There is no way to tell, and it just feels more logical to save your own kind to me, unless the incentive to save the alien is great enough. Good PR is not enough of an incentive.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Alien.

Humans aren't grateful for long after they've been saved. If I save the Alien, I might get welcomed into their culture/society, and make an interesting new friend. Earth sucks.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Alien, out of curiosity that is.
Unlike the dog poll we had a few days ago I won't be criticised for ether option so I'm going with the one I want.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
the human every time saving them both is simply not an option self self sacrifice would not be the logical thing to do because i am better and more important than anyone
besides Xenos scum shouldn't have gotten into trouble in the first place and anyway what are they doing here taking jobs away from hard working people and imposing their foreign often vegetarian and humanitarian ways on us their evil knows no bounds we should not be limited to just not saving the alien trash we should be bleeding them white in anticipation of the coming war

EARTH FIRST HUMANITY PREVAILS

BigDeadMushy

May 4, 2011
I'm not the type to make a snap decision based entirely on race, so before I vote I need at least one of these important questions answered:
which one set the fire/planted the bomb/drilled a hole in the boat?
did I know any of them before this calamitous turn of events occurred?
(and because I must have a list of 3) which will give me the greatest reward? (note: doesn't have to be monetary or tangible, just greatest)

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
I think saving the alien would be better for the human race as a whole; they might be willing to spare us when they launch their invasion

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Froggy Slayer said:
These kinds of polls seem to be in the vogue here, so here we go. Two sapient beings of roughly equal intelligence are drowning/in a burning building/going to explode, and you can only save 1 (without dying). Both are strangers, one, however, is an alien (doesn't look humanoid but definitely intelligent) and one is a human. The alien race has only recently been introduced to the human race, but the two species are getting along peacefully. Remember to vote before you look down into the thread. I promise not to hold anything against you if you disagree with me, and I certainly won't call you a monster for choosing one over the other.
Same answer I gave in a previous thread. Whichever one is closest. Unlike the original thread of animal and human. This thread features to sapient beings which would make them of equal value. Although I imagine having some browny points with another intelligent species would do humanity good. But yes whichever is closest. Ultimately I am no hero and only stupid enough to dive into a burning building once to save complete strangers, so no saving both for me!